Wiring fog lights as secondary brake lights (the easy way)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
This is EXACTLY how I installed my extra lights. Thanks to Josh S. for his help.

I also installed these on Turbo Steve's ride. There is a specific size for the female spade connectors that Josh told me to buy, I can't remember now, but maybe he'll post here.

This is a GREAT mod. For those of us who have been rear-ended, it's nice to have the extra lights. I didn't disconnect the wiring harness, just left it connected.

Lito

BAMA TDI

Veteran Member
THANK YOU!!!, THANK YOU!!!, THANK YOU!!! Brandonk!!! That was the best description with pictures yet. I will do this in a couple of weeks.
Why a couple of weeks? First I gotta replace the large auxillary cooling fan under the hood!

Thanks again man.

John aka BAMA TDI

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
I wired mine as fogs, that way I can turn them on separately without having to hit the brakes. Makes a good warning before I really hit them ...

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Thanks for the tip! I did mine last night after going to Autozone to get the parts (my local Radio Shack store didn't have the wire or the bulbs). It was a snap in my Golf. I did have to knock out a couple of "slugs" in the taillight housing, but they just twisted out. Big improvement in light output for those tailgaters here in Texas.

Jeff (Silver '01 Golf GL TDI 5-speed)
http://www.geocities.com/j_w_king/tdi.htm

25861 miles since 5/1/01 and counting!

[ September 14, 2001: Message edited by: K5ING ]

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I've wired up both my Golf & my wife's Passat so that I have both extra brake lights (left & right) and a rear fog light (left). It's my favorite mod, second only to chipping.

There are instructions on doing this at clubB5.

BrandonK

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rgoetz:
I've wired up both my Golf & my wife's Passat so that I have both extra brake lights (left & right) and a rear fog light (left). It's my favorite mod, second only to chipping.

There are instructions on doing this at clubB5.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you provide a direct link? The search there isn't working for me. Thanks!

Heinz57

Veteran Member
Brandon - people lke you make this a great site - congrats for posting the details and pics on this easy but very affective mod!!!
Cudos to THE MAN !!!