Tips

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
I thought I'd share a couple tips from some recent modifications I made on my Jetta.

Here's the "European R" steering wheel from Hillside Imports. I had a local bodyshop install it for $35. It certainly looks different, but your money would probably be better spent. It looks like the GLI/GTI steering wheel and it's not that comfortable for normal commuting. :rolleyes:

I also did a lot of searching trying to find an chrome tips that I'd like and ultimately decided to just buff and polish the stock stainless steel tips. I did this with a Dremel and drill with buffing pads. I also painted the muffler with high temperature (propane grill) paint. They won't stay clean very long, but they look nice when they're shiney! ;)

Last edited:
A

azbioguy

That steering wheel does look nice though...did they move the airbag over for you or did you buy it with the airbag?

Are any of the buttons functional for your car?

I'd love to be able to adapt one of the steering wheels with paddles to my car's DSG tranny.

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
azbioguy said:
That steering wheel does look nice though...did they move the airbag over for you or did you buy it with the airbag? Are any of the buttons functional for your car?
According to the bodyshop guys, it was a direct swap. They moved the airbag from the center of the stock wheel and all buttons work as they did on the stock steering wheel.

A

azbioguy

Cool...when I did that first post I didn't look at your sig...I see you have a Package 2. I have Package 0 so I am sure it would take a bunch of wiring and programming to get even the stereo volume controls to work :)

MPGeez! said:
According to the bodyshop guys, it was a direct swap. They moved the airbag from the center of the stock wheel and all buttons work as they did on the stock steering wheel.