2004 bhw / ALH head swap.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
I am getting an entire ALH engine with bad rod bearings, the head has less than 10,000 miles on it confirmed because I’m the one who put it on. I’m wanting to swap the ALH head onto my BHW I have dont a little searching and have seen I need the head, accessory bracket, add the ALH block idler roller. Is there an actual write up on this swap or can anyone give me a complete run down of what all parts I will need from the ALH? The BHW already has the balance shaft delete done

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I am getting an entire ALH engine with bad rod bearings, the head has less than 10,000 miles on it confirmed because I’m the one who put it on. I’m wanting to swap the ALH head onto my BHW I have dont a little searching and have seen I need the head, accessory bracket, add the ALH block idler roller. Is there an actual write up on this swap or can anyone give me a complete run down of what all parts I will need from the ALH? The BHW already has the balance shaft delete done
With the balance shaft delete done, here's what else you'll need:
Remove the crankshaft so you can swap the tone wheels for the crank sensor. The ALH will NOT fire with the PD crank tone wheel. It will think the engine is spinning 10x faster than it actually is (don't ask me how I know this--at least it wasn't an engine I put together).
Might as well throw all new rod and main bearings and bolts in to do that job, along with front and rear crank seals.

Speaking of, the PD timing belts are way wider than the ALH belts. This means the crank gear is wider, too. You will want to swap to the ALH crank sprocket with a new bolt.

You will also want an ALH front seal carrier, since it too also doesn't protrude as far for where the middle and lower timing belt covers bolt to. If you don't swap this the middle timing belt cover will have an interference issue with the accessory belt tensioner...

But, it turns out since the BHW had to make extra space for the much larger crank sprocket for the balance shaft, they moved ALL the bolts further out for that seal carrier. So, you'll have to drill and tap all new bolt holes for the ALH front seal carrier too.

And this is on top of having to drill and tap for the large lower roller bolt like you mentioned. You *might* have to redrill for the stud for the small lower roller, too. I don't know 100% if that is in the exact same location or not. Speaking of, you will want the shorter stud for that roller that is meant for the ALH so again you won't have interference issues with the lower/middle belt covers.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
That's challenging. Lots of good information.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Sounds like a real PITA to do this conversion. What are the benefits?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Sounds like a real PITA to do this conversion. What are the benefits?
The BHW has much sturdier rods, pistons (tapered fit to the rods--making a triangulated support and much greater surface area for the wrist pin in the direction the greatest forces are exerted onto the assembly) and larger rod journals on the crank. PD pistons are also hollow with holes in the bottom for the oil squirters get oil inside the pistons for better cooling.

It also has 1.5 mm larger bore, making it a 2.0L instead of a 1.9L.

It's a great bottom end for big power builds. Though if you're really pushing it, you'll still want an upgrade over the OE rods.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
I just want to keep this build basic as hell for a clean daily with the high probability that it will also be 5spd swapped. I just need something reliable to drive 4hrs every other week to pick up my minion. Guy I worked with in the military has a ALH complete block with bad bottom end I’ll be getting for $200 the head was replace less than 10,000 miles ago with a brand new head. So my plan is to take this head put it on my BHW then, rebuild this ALH put a head on it; and swap it into my 1999 Jeep Cherokee as well. BUT, for the time being I need a reliable daily for every other week travel as my 2016 ram 3500 crew cab dually gets less than half of what my Passat will get in fuel economy...

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I hear you! Every 5000 km (3100 miles) that I drive with my car vs driving my truck saves me $500 CAD (aprox. $390 USD) in operating costs. Since I paid $500 for my car it's paid for it's self several times already. And it's more fun to drive.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I just want to keep this build basic as hell for a clean daily with the high probability that it will also be 5spd swapped. I just need something reliable to drive 4hrs every other week to pick up my minion. Guy I worked with in the military has a ALH complete block with bad bottom end I’ll be getting for $200 the head was replace less than 10,000 miles ago with a brand new head. So my plan is to take this head put it on my BHW then, rebuild this ALH put a head on it; and swap it into my 1999 Jeep Cherokee as well. BUT, for the time being I need a reliable daily for every other week travel as my 2016 ram 3500 crew cab dually gets less than half of what my Passat will get in fuel economy...

In that case, would the conversion safe you any money? If not then just get a good used stock replacement head for the Passat and be done with it. Save the other engine (complete) for the Jeep project.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
In that case, would the conversion safe you any money? If not then just get a good used stock replacement head for the Passat and be done with it. Save the other engine (complete) for the Jeep project.
Yes it will save quite a bit of money seeing as almost everything I need parts wise I’ll have for $200. Buying a new or reman BHW head isn’t cheap at all. I have all the necessary tools to do this swap and the ALH block will serve as a template for the studs I need to drill holes for.