Why is my MPG better since phase 2 recall

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
I am now more then 3 months since my phase 2 recall has been completed in June and I expected more restrictive exhaust and lower mpg results per tank. My previous Fuelly results kept me squarely in the low to mid 42 per tank range.

After having my 2015 Golf SE TDI DSG with 38k miles phase 2 recall work completed I expected lower tank averages, but to my surprise I have increased by over 3mpg. This is also summer results which can be my lowest results other then winter driving.

The only negative I have experienced is higher then normal Ad Blue use. I am burning through at a quicker pace then normal but I can deal with that since my average tank is up considerably. My miles at refill are running in the mid 500's easily were I had to visit my Sheetz station right at 500 on most tanks prior.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I also noticed a higher MPG rate.

It seems that the phase 2 fix does better with higher cetane than it did pre-fix.

As far as Ad Blue, I've kept track and a full (Entire 5 gallon tank full to the rim) DEF tank gets me about 11,000 miles before the light comes on. (1500 miles remaining) which puts the "out" level at about 12,000 miles.

I drive Uber/Lyft so my car can vary from all-city to a mixture of city/highway driving on any given night. Still, I've seen a very predictable DEF usage over the past 50,000 miles since my Phase 2 fix and, like you- a higher MPG.

TDI
2014 Volks Sportwagen
I am now more then 3 months since my phase 2 recall has been completed in June and I expected more restrictive exhaust and lower mpg results per tank. My previous Fuelly results kept me squarely in the low to mid 42 per tank range.
After having my 2015 Golf SE TDI DSG with 38k miles phase 2 recall work completed I expected lower tank averages, but to my surprise I have increased by over 3mpg. This is also summer results which can be my lowest results other then winter driving.
The only negative I have experienced is higher then normal Ad Blue use. I am burning through at a quicker pace then normal but I can deal with that since my average tank is up considerably. My miles at refill are running in the mid 500's easily were I had to visit my Sheetz station right at 500 on most tanks prior.
Saints be praised looks like I'm going to look for a used Golf TDI now!:D

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well with my Passat the Mpg is slightly lower than the before Phase 2 consumption and I believe that is the general consensus by people who do a manual/computer generated Mpg figuring. It's not enough to make me want to switch over to a gas powered car.

The MFD display lies like a rug !

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
With out a doubt

Well with my Passat the Mpg is slightly lower than the before Phase 2 consumption and I believe that is the general consensus by people who do a manual/computer generated Mpg figuring. It's not enough to make me want to switch over to a gas powered car.

The MFD display lies like a rug !
My MFD was over 3.5mpg off but seems a little more accurate since Phase 2. All my average tanks have been done by hand since purchased.

Of course I mean since purchase of my Golf, not my hand.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
On my 2015 Passat SEL Premium TDI (with DSG), I also am averaging slightly higher MPG values (doing the hand calcs) that prior. My Phase 2 was done in mid-August, so I don't have a great deal of data yet, but I seem to be averaging about 1-2 MPG higher. MFD seems to be off a bit more (now reads about 4.5% high post-Phase 2 compared to about 3.5% high pre-Phase 2). I really don't see or feel any other change at all involving Phase 2. I don't think pre-MY2015 TDI's are fairing quite as well - glad I have a MY2015 TDI.