Steering wheel center

1120JettaTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I've had my car a few days now. When I took delivery of it I noticed the alignment was good but the steering wheel was not centered. It's to the left a little, not much though. With the electromechanical steering on the TDI will I need and alignment or can the tech just recalibrate to recenter the wheel better?

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Electric power steering pump....It is still mechanical. Mine is the same way. I need to pry it away from my wife to get them to fix it.

Donald

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Get it fixed asap (before 6K) otherwise they will make you pay for it. I waited until 30K to have an alignment, and I wish i did it sooner.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Funny, I drove an 11 golf, 6spd TDI and 11 Jetta, TDI 6spd today. Both had wheels that were just a tad off-center. If I recall, between 11 and 12oclock.

Mr. Timewise

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SE 2.5L Tip (gasser)
I've posted this elsewhere, but it is probably good to mention it all again:

Our 2010 Jetta sedan also had the steering wheel cocked to the left when the tires/wheels were straight. In addition, I felt that the car was always pulling to the right just a bit regardless of the crown of the road, or whether I was coasting, braking, or accelerating. My dealer contacted VW when I had less than 2000 miles on the car and VWoA "authorized" an alignment.

The dealer did an acceptable job in the re-alignment so the car at least drove straight down the road during light acceleration, coasting, and braking. But they did an unacceptable job as far as positioning the steering wheel straight while adjusting the tie rods. I know they did not remove the steering wheel from its shaft during the alignment (because I marked the steering wheel). And try as I did to explain the problem with the rotational offset of the steering wheel, they did not do a proper job "leveling" the steering wheel spokes before beginning the alignment.

So I took matters into my own hands...

I removed the steering wheel from the steering shaft and relocated it clockwise one notch on the spline teeth. My steering wheel is now perfectly straight when the car is driving a straight line on a typical crowned road. And the steering wheel can be released while the car continues on a straight line.

Shifting the steering wheel one spline tooth rotates the steering wheel 4 degrees. (There are 90 teeth on the spline.)

While relocating the steering wheel on the shaft I noted that the cast/scribed lines near the spline shaft hole and on the end of the steering wheel spline shaft are impossible to perfectly align. The line on the steering wheel casting is about one spline tooth wide and the line is not centered between two spline teeth. Not shown here is the steering wheel shaft. It has a very narrow scribed line perfectly in-line with a spline tooth. As a result, the two lines will never be perfectly aligned regardless of how the steering wheel is installed.

It may be that on the production line, installers have been told to always select the counter-clockwise alignment when such a situation exists. Perhaps this is why so many people report this steering wheel counter-clockwise alignment problem.

If you want to prove to yourself the steering wheel is offset one spline gear tooth, try this: Turn the steering wheel fully to the left (counter-clockwise) and note the position of the steering wheel spokes in relation to something in the instrument cluster. Then turn the steering wheel fully to the right (clockwise). The spoke positioning should be in a mirror image to their orientation when the wheel was fully counter-clockwise. When I re-located the steering wheel one spline tooth clockwise, this test showed me that NOW the steering wheel was "centered" in the steering system, and centered visually when driving straight.

Plus, when I scan with VCDS, the steering angle sensor is exactly at 0.0 degrees when the car is going straight and the steering wheel is level.

If you look at the vertical cast line above the spline teeth in the picture here, you can see that the line is more than one tooth wide. The cast line is about twice as wide as the narrowly scribed line on the end of the shaft.

1120JettaTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I wound up bringing it to the dealer. They left the alignment "as is" and adjusted the steeering wheel center. Its good now. My first experience at the new dealer was a good one.

dbwill

TDI
2011 JSW 6M
My '11 JSW has the ~5 degree left tilt too. I asked to have it straightened at my 90 day courtesy check at my local dealer and they said they would not do it unless I paid for it because I bought the car at a different dealer. Well if local dealer could have procured a 6m for me I would have bought here!

I consider it a cheap test drive of the service department. Every time i look at that canted wheel I'll be reminded of both the "not bought here" policy and the fact they apparently do not know about simply moving the wheel to get 4 degrees of correction!

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red
I have this issue and truthfully, I've adopted the policy to have the dealer touch my car as little as possible. I noticed that the entire column is actually pitched at the angle. Car drives straight and handles well, so I am leaving well enough alone (mental note to check all details before pickup on any future car). Plus by now they'd make me pay for it as I'm at 8K. Though I did ask them about it at the 90 day and the service writer didn't want to touch it. He gave me some BS that it was normal and will at times pitch left or right because its mechanical. Seriously almost laughed in his face. 1 less grinding noise or squeek that might develop. Although as I develop some knowledge from posts like above. I might tackle it one day. Thanks. Although I've gotten use to resting my hand on the bottom of the wheel and with the extra half inch off center - its perfect for my wrist position.

Hey I just noticed. Mr. Timewise, you are in my neck of the woods. Pizza and Beer at Twigg's if you show me how to do it.

Last edited:

al3azef

TDI
Jetta 2012

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Electric power steering pump....It is still mechanical. Mine is the same way. I need to pry it away from my wife to get them to fix it.

Donald
There is not electric power steering pump - hence no power steering fluid or hoses. It is a motor and pinion doing the work (I simplified this).

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
There is not electric power steering pump - hence no power steering fluid or hoses. It is a motor and pinion doing the work (I simplified this).
Kills me when folks call it "Fly by Wire" as well. The steering isn't electric either. It is mechanical steering with electric assist with the motor TDI_Timmy eluded to doing the assist.

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Did u notice its never to the right, always to the left few degrees, mine is the same , so were the other cars that i test drove and the other vws i bought in the past, all are the same

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I had the same issue....went to 3 different dealers...all told me it was either the alignment or something is bent. Anyways.....told them to look at it, told me it was the alignment. (funny as I went nowhere a curb or didnt drive over any pot holes)
Got it aligned...and same thing...it goes the other way a bit now. Not a big deal but small things tend ot piss me off even more than big issues.