Speed Sensor Code causing transmission 1st and 4th gear loss

minjablue

TDI
2001 Jetta Automatic
I have a 2001 VW Jetta with 298000k, recently it happened again. My wife went to start the car and it turned over longer then normal. She stopped and tried again and the car started right up. She drove away noticing the car was slow to get up to speed and when she got on the highway it did not shift into overdrive. It is a safety feature built into the tranny which allows the car to continue on with 2,3 gear when shifting Automatically if a code happens. If you shift manually you have 1,2,3 no overdrive.This happened before so I took it to the only VW dealer on Prince Edward Island to put it on the Vag-Com. It showed a speed sensor fault but was reset and the problem hasn't happened in 6 months or so until yesterday. I know it is just this speed sensor issue again but find it hard to get to the dealer since I live about a hundred miles from it.
My Question is can I reset this computer any other way then on the Vag-com box, like does disconnecting the battery or computer itself work. If anyone has any thoughts on this I would like to hear from you. Thank you in advance. Have a good day. Minjablue mingo@pei.sympatico.ca

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Sounds like you have limp mode in the transmission module, you will need to scan for the error on your vag-com, and then post here and we'll help you diagnose the problem. or go to autozone or some simular auto parts store and have them scan your car... post the "P codes" here and we'll help you do the same...

The reason why the vag-com is so nice is because of the ability to scan and reset, and also scan other other than just "codes". It's a full diagnositc program for your car.

I would imagine if you go into your engine compartment, there is some corrosion on the multiple pin plug at the rear engine side of your transmission... very common problem with automatics.

The two connectors I would pay attention to are the speed sensor (towards the rear of the car on the backside of the transmission) and the one that's cylindrical and vertical near the rear of the transmission on top.

Last edited: