idling issues

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 210k 2013 Passat TDI - 27k
Rough idle & hesitant when accelerating?

Hello all! So my 06 TDI recently got a new camshaft and now runs better and doesn’t smoke excessively at startup anymore. However I am having a weird issue, on a completely cold startup, the car idles fine and then once it gets warm (probably 80+ degrees) through normal operating temperature, you can hear the car’s sound changing as it’s idling and sometimes you can see the needle actually going up and down slightly. See link below. The car is also a little jerky till about 1500RPM in first gear when accelerating but second-sixth gear it shifts very smooth and has good power. The car is a DSG and does have an EGR delete. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
https://youtu.be/eQS7HT5_XYY

Last edited:

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: Car stalled out twice tonight when coming to a stop. RPMs drop to 600 also for some reason but again, car runs and drives fine aside from coming to a stop sometimes the car won’t downshift in time to prevent RPMs from dropping to the point of stalling out the car. Car restarts fine immediately following stalling out. And it only happens when at or around operating temperature.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Update:

Hey all, after my car being at the mechanic for a month and lots of driving, diagnosing, and phone calls to Frank06, we found the issue. The bolt that secured the timing tensioner onto the stud had fallen off and was causing my timing to fluctuate +-3 degrees. This was causing unstable idle as well as the jerky shifts, and stalling issues. To say I’m lucky my engine didn’t throw timing is a massive understatement. Anyway, I had a new nut installed and all issues are gone. Car runs solid now, pulls hard, shifts smoothly and starts very well now even when it’s very cold outside.