Newbie CCV Question

Cree182

TDI
VW Jetta 103TDI
Hey everyone just purchased a 2012 Jetta 103TDI. It’s my first VW and my first Diesel engine. I have been doing a bit of research on what I thought was the PCV, but have noticed that these cars have a CCV. Is it essentially the same thing? I have a catchcan off my old car and wondering if these are worth running on the Jetta? I have seen the DIY installs but not to much on if the CCV. Thanks.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yes, PCV (gasser term) = CCV (diesel term). Pretty much. They both do the same thing. There really isn't a difference except that VW wants to call it something different. Might be related to german arrogance, or american vs european industrial terminology, but who knows?

There's a few other nomenclative anomalies. I don't really know what they would be at this point, but I am sure there are plenty. Some of them are because this is a diesel community, so there's stuff that happens because of that. For example, you can have a go-pedal, fuel pedal, skinny pedal, but technically you can't have a gas pedal because these cars run on a fuel that is NOT gasoline. You don't have a gas mileage, but you do have a fuel mileage, but everyone still calls it mpg. And sometime people refer to mpg when they really mean mph, but that's just typing without thinking or proofreading.

I think there's at least one thread with one or more pages of VW TDI acronyms. Maybe you can find it with a search.

Cheers,

PH

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Oh, and regarding your original question: the catch can. The real problem with condensation coming from the CCV is that it would wet the soot (there's water vapor in it, after all, not to mention some component of oil mist in spite of efforts to remove it) from the EGR, and the result would eventually clog the intake manifold and gunk up the intake valves as well. That problem has just about disappeared with ULSD, and I think your generation of car does the EGR source after the particulate filter, making the EGR pretty much soot free. Therefore, you would not need to worry about a small amount of fluid hitting the intake via the CCV.

Cheers,

PH

Cree182

TDI
VW Jetta 103TDI
Hi thanks for the information it has made my decision not to run a catch can much easier. I’d say that euro car companies just call things differnet as it could be a translation issue but like you said who knows.