2002 ALH Strange buzzing noise under full boost [with video]

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Hey Volks
I have a friend here in town who has 2002 Jetta, Malone Stage 1 tune and a failing original turbo. Before the tune the turbo had occasionally made the ECU throw a pressure deviation code. After the code it couldn't do the 1.1 bar of boost requested from the tune and as soon as it got to about 0.7 bar of boost a whining buzzing noise would occur - we thought this was because the turbo was in it's death throws, so we installed a 1749VB turbo from Bora Parts and now the turbo keeps rock solid with the boost request but that buzzing sound is still there above 0.7 bar of boost. Sitting in the passenger seat - the noise appears to be coming from the driver side of the car as if it was coming from the driver headlight if you looked outwards. From the driver seat it appears to be coming from the driver side as well.
Investigation under the hood shows no blockage of the airbox, MAF nor anything unusual from the intercooler system.
I have never heard this whine before - doesn't sound like a pressure leak to me... to me those sound like a hissing / tire leaking noise rather than the whine that this is making.
Here is the YouTube Video of the noise.

Suggestions on what this could be would be great!
Thanks

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Sorry i know you say there is no blockage of the filter box, but that video sounds like my car when the snow screen was clogged.... It is in the pipe between the filter box and headlight......there is a bypass door under spring tension that will open up when the snow screen becomes clogged... You must remove the filter box.And pull out the pipe that runs up to the headlight area and either clean the screen or punch it out....I punched my screen out years ago no more issues!

Last edited:

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Sorry i know you say there is no blockage of the filter box, but that video sounds like my car when the snow screen was clogged.... It is in the pipe between the filter box and headlight......there is a bypass door under spring tension that will open up when the snow screen becomes clogged... You must remove the filter box.And pull out the pipe that runs up to the headlight area and either clean the screen or punch it out....I punched my screen out years ago no more issues!
No, we didn't check the area between the headlight and the airbox - good call on that one. Will check that tomorrow.

Hasenwerk

TDI
Solved

I spent most of Sunday morning trouble shooting this car. Cleared the snow screen of the few flies and other crap that was there - same noise. Temporarily removed the MAF from the airbox to remove that whole setup from the equation - same noise. Turns out that the shop that cleaned out the intake manifold of the EGR crap did a poor job re-tightening the intake manifold - most of the screws needed another 1/2 turn and one was completely missing! :eek: Once all six screws were in place and correctly tightened - the noise was gone and my friend had a smile on his face!

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Glad you found the source of the noise!!!