rocketeer928 - My 2003 VW Jetta TDI

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Joe - I would like to see you race a Civic Si; that would be fun. I could certainly beat my wife's Civic LX, even stock. That car is such a dog, and she won't let me do anything to improve it. Ha, ha!

I would guess that on a dry October day that your 2003 Jetta would register a bit more than 205 whp.

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
I raced an Acura RSX which I believe has the same 197hp V-tec.... I left it in the dust bad.... they were like rich little punk Jersey kids... Look at my shiny new Acura that Daddy bought me.... it's sooo fast... That's what I was thinking as they got smaller and smaller in my rear view mirror...LoL

As far as a dry day for the dyno, I'd rather have a cold rainy day... the car absolutely rips when it is raining or snowing (figures, conditions where the car is almost useless).... I dunno, but something about that cold moist air makes this thing really respond.

Once in a while, I'll catch an overcast 40 degree day with the roads being dry and the power is almost scary...
On a hot dry day, I can feel damn near a 20hp decrease in from a cold moist day...

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
You should get at least 160. I got 173 with RC5 and a similar setup, same dyno.
Did you get 173 whp with the CAT put back on or CAT-less?
btcost said:
You will make 160 for sure.

Thats why we pick October. . .cool and (hopefully) DRY day. . .

I'll see you once or twice before hand.

Brian
Maybe once more before October; I can't make it to the June 26 Ho5G GTG. Pre-scheduled baseball game with friends. Bummer, but I do love baseball (and hockey).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
w/o the cat. But FWIW, I made 185 after I put in the IDParts DP and exhaust with a cat. No other changes to the car.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
w/o the cat. But FWIW, I made 185 after I put in the IDParts DP and exhaust with a cat. No other changes to the car.
Excellent! I put my CAT downpipe back on my Jetta the day after I got the RC5. Sounds much better and quieter now, and not as stinky. Maybe I'll get 185??? I won't hold my breath.

I'm not trying to wish the summer away, but I'm so looking forward to New England Dyno Day.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If it's dry I may dyno again. I've got an 10mm pump again but I'd be happy with 160.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Suicidal Bunny

Peter Cottontail from western CT decided to commit suicide this morning on my way to work, using my Jetta TDI as its "vehicle" of choice. He was big and fluffy, but is now a bit skinnier. Doing my part to keep the crows well fed.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
No kidding! And I think I squashed a squirrel that darted into the road today. Maybe I shouldn't take my car up to Maine later this summer. I'm likely to attract a suicidal moose. That would be serious damage.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Agricultural Strainer CCV Reinstalled

My Jetta TDI is going to hit 90,000 miles on my way to work tomorrow, so I changed the oil and filters this afternoon after coming home from church. Hot and muggy day for working on the car!

I have been unsatisfied with how much oil goes through the Dynaflow CCV Filter into my air intake. So, I decided to reinstall my Agricultural Strainer CCV System. Since the Dynaflow CCV can only be positioned in one direction because of the large diameter of the PD150 Turbo Intake Pipe, I had to re-route the braided vinyl tubing.

Last edited:

2001TDINB

TDI
2000 New Beetle GLS TDI, (Stock) Yellow Clearcoat LD1B/J5
Just read all of this thread, and I think you have A Work Of Art and A Labor Of Love there with that Very Fine Piece Of German Engineering. :)

Outstanding and Very Cool!:cool::cool::cool:

And I like the New engine cover! ;) lol

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Did the Strut bar help?
I'm gonna put mine on soon.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
i'm sure the car will look very nice. i am looking forward to seeing some updated pics of this fine modded machine.
You ask, and I finally deliver. I washed and took care of some chipping around my Jetta TDI this morning before the 90+ temperatures hit, and then took these shots on my property.

I used Dr. ColorChip Automotive Paint Chip Repair System. I had originally bought the Road Rash Kit because I'm convinced that the lady who owned my car before me followed a sand truck on her way to work and back every single day. But, when Bambi committed suicide by headbutting into my fender and bumper cover, I had the front third of the car re-painted upon repair. Roda rash - all gone.

The Dr. ColorChip works great on small chips. Not so great on big, gouging chips; those still need to be filled with paint only. Lines, like one found on my driver's side mirror back, fill in with paint color, but are still a little noticeable. Still, looks better than the primer color showing through.

This is one of my favorite pictures:

A different angle

On a little bit of a decline, which I think is why the rear looks higher than the front in this picture. On pavement, all is even.

I really like my LED taillights, blue TDI emblem, and sideways Deutschland flag. Everything is LED, except for headlights, fog lights, back-up lights, and rear fog lights.

17-inch Enkei wheels, blue-painted calipers, and drilled/slotted rotors. The wheels are a bit of a pain to wash and dry compared to the stock alloys I use for winter tires, but I think they look good on the car. I plan to fill the extra dummy holes with shortened, epoxied lug bolts once they come off of the car for the winter.

Here's another favorite. I really like my Deutschland licence plate. The style I chose both nearly matches that found in Deutschland while my wife and I were living there in 2007, and is my Connecticut number so that the cops will hopefully leave me alone. No cop problems yet, but just in case, my real front plate is in my truck cubby hole. I think the Oettinger Front Grille worked out nicely too.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Indy-Cator Shift Knob and Leather Shift Boot

On July 4th, I installed a Gaslock Indy-Cator Shift Knob, which I purchased via Amazon.com. At the same time, I installed the RedlineGoods leather shift boot, e-brake boot, and armrest. I chose black with a dark blue stripe and contrasting thread, since I have a lot of blue within my engine bay and brake calipers. I'm not sure that I installed the e-brake boot correctly, as the fit is very, very tight and you can see the edge of the leather on the end at the button.

In two of the pictures, you can see that the car is in third gear.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
FuelSure Diesel Fuel Filler Cap

I installed a FuelSure Diesel Fuel Filler Cap from the UK (No longer available). Fits well, and it's great that they include an emergency opener to keep in the car "just in case".

I had no issue tightening to 12 Nm as directed with the emergency opener tool as others have reported on newer TDIs. We'll see how it performs at the pump later this week. The hot pink color sure stands out!

I plan to use the emergency opener each time I go fill up for a couple of reasons. First, I don't want to accidentally spill diesel fuel that just might happen to be in the nozzle from the previous customer on my car's paint while unlocking the cap. Second, I always add 5 ounces of Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement® +Cetane Boosthttp://www.powerservice.com/dfs/ prior to filling up, and the nozzle will just get in the way of doing that.

I had been using a locking fuel cap prior to this. I didn't like that my keys would bang against the paint of my car while I was unlocking the cap, so I figured I would give this alternative a try.

Last edited:
TDI
None
Definitely need to get this so the gf can't screw it up!!! :rolleyes: Would you mind uploading a video once you try it out? Would you also mind trying to see if our gasoline pumps will open it up? Filling up is pretty much a science experiment already, one more step isn't too bad :D.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Update on FuelSure Diesel Fuel Filler Cap

Even though the diesel pump nozzle is the same diameter as the emergency opener that came with the FuelSure, I could not get the cap to unlatch with the nozzle. That's OK; I plan to use the emergency opener anyway as indicated in my previous post.

I can say that there is no way that a gasoline nozzle will open the FuelSure. It's simply too narrow.

Update on 7 Aug 2010: Using the same diesel pump nozzle, I was able unlatch the FuelSure cap with no problems. I think that I didn't push forcefully enough when I tried it the first time.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Lesson Learned: The Orange Light of Love

First of all, let me state that I'm a stupid idiot. Good, I wrote it before anyone else could. Now that that is taken care of...

Today, I ran out of diesel fuel on my way to work. Here's the story...

Around Monday, my Jetta's "Orange Light of Love" came on. That's what I call our vehicles low fuel indicator to get a laugh out of my wife. Been calling the light that for years. According to some other threads that I have read, when the "orange light of love" comes on, the TDI is supposed to have about 1.9 gallons left in the tank, which for me equates to about 80 miles. I figured that I had a couple of commuting days to go before I had to fill up.

I had Tuesday off from work, so I didn't drive my Jetta. On Wednesday and Thursday, as I drove the fuel gauge needle crept closer to empty. The plan was to fill up Thursday at my favorite Shell station on Thursday after work. That evening on my way home from work, the needle crept back up above empty. I have found that the needle fluctuates a little for some reason all the time once it comes off of the full mark; it's a bit annoying. So, I thought to myself, there must be enough fuel in the tank to commute back and forth on Friday and then fill up. I lost that bet this morning, my friends.

The first half of my commute to work is about 7 miles of local roads, and the second half is about 8 miles on I-84 West. I got onto I-84 at the Exit 8 exchange. As I approached Exit 6 about 1½ miles down the highway, the Jetta was starting to sputter. Uh-oh, I thought. So, I immediately got off of Exit 6 to get to the nearest diesel station, or preferably the Shell station near Exit 5 (not my prefer Shell station, but that's OK).

Nope, didn't make it. The car died on me on the Exit 6 off-ramp, and I was toast. That was about 6:10 am. I usually get to work by 6:20 am.

First thing I did was put less than a quart of Power Serve in the tank, just hoping that would get me to the Gulf fuel station across the street. Didn't work. Put the flashers on and walk across the street to that Gulf station - NO DIESEL. Next I walked about a ¼ mile down the road to a Valero station - again NO DIESEL. An additional ¼ mile to a Hugo Chavez (I mean Citgo) station, and they did have diesel. I had to buy a gallon container at rip-off "the dumb idiot ran out of fuel" prices.

I filled up my new container with a gallon of diesel and trudged the ½ mile back to my car on the off-ramp of Exit 6. After putting the diesel in the tank, nothing. I noticed that my lift pump was not making the usual swishing sound while placing the key in the "ON" position, so I determined that I did not have enough fuel in the tank to take advantage of the lift pump. So, back-and-forth to the Hugo Chavez station for another gallon of diesel. By this time, I'm literally sweating to death because the humidity this morning was oppressive (to me anyway). My forehead and shirt were nearly soaked.

The second gallon allowed the lift pump to work. However, the car still would not start, and I drained my battery. The battery is the original OEM at 7 years old, and I knew it was on it's last legs anyway. I had planned on replacing it before next winter, but I ended up making the replacement tonight.

Back to the story... At that point, I realized that either the injection pump or the fuel injectors had run dry, and the lift pump wasn't going to prime them again. I did not have my MityVac or a 17-mm wrench with me, so I could not prime anything, and I wasn't going anywhere fast. I know the lift pump was working because I have an in-line fuel pressure gauge prior to the fuel filter, and it was reading at normal psi.

We have one mobile phone between my wife and I, and she is the keeper of that phone. That will now likely change after this experience. So, I walked across the street, asked to borrow the Gulf station telephone, and called AAA for a tow home, which was about 10 miles away. Get this! My wife and I decided to purchase AAA just last Saturday! Lord, have mercy! AAA called a service center for a tow, which was around 7:20 am.

While waiting at my car for the flatbed, a CT State Trooper was about to drive past the Gulf station when he noticed me. He pulled up in front of my car, and I told him of my situation. Because the Exit 6 traffic was very busy, the trooper couldn't back his car up the Exit 6 ramp to get behind me for protection. So he put my license plate number into his PC (probably to find out if I was a convict; nope, just an idiot), and called the CT DOT to get them there to block off the road for my protection. Of course, our wonderful state-worker DOT guys never showed up, as they were probably busy getting donuts and shooting the breeze. The trooper didn't say a word about my Deutschland license plate after I told him that the number on the plate is my CT number. Phew! The trooper then left.

About 15 minutes later, another CT State Trooper pulls up behind my car coming down the Exit 6 off-ramp. I figured that it was the same trooper, but it was actually a different one. This trooper was surprised that the first trooper just left me there. I just shrugged my shoulders. Trooper Nr. 2 called his dispatch to find out if my tow was actually coming, and he was told that they were. At that point, it was about 8:15 am, two hours after I ran out of diesel.

Trooper Nr. 2 decided that he needed to get my Jetta out of harms way. Their cars have this bar and rubber system attached to the front. So after discussing it, he very slowly came up to my back bumper, I put my ignition to the "ON" position, took my foot off the brake, gave the trooper the thumbs up, and with lights and sirens blaring he pushed me across the street into the Gulf station. The nimrods in oncoming traffic didn't want to stop, even though the trooper had his lights and sirens going. It's definitely a "me first" society that we live in.

As soon as the trooper got me across the street, the flatbed tow truck showed up. Nice timing, buddy! I explained my predicament to the tow driver. He knew exactly what I was talking about when I indicated that I would have to prime the injection pump and injectors to get the car started. It turns out that his family lives in Portugal and they all drive diesels, so he knows all about them. The tow driver turned out to be a real decent guy, and we talked about the modifications to my Jetta all the way back to my home. Regular AAA pays for the first 4 miles of a tow, and then it's $4 per mile after that. The total trip was 10 miles, but this guy gave me a break and only charged me for 4 additional miles. Got home around 8:45 am, about $32 poorer.

Unfortunately, my wife was still home and had not left for work. She said that when I climbed out of the flatbed I was smiling. That's because I knew exactly what I was going to need to do when I got home from work later that afternoon to get my car started; mainly new battery and priming. I told her not to tell anyone, and predictably she indicated that she is going to tell everyone. D'oh! I should have used reverse psychology. Took the truck into work, and I was only 3 hours late. Fortunately, my job is flexible, and I only needed to work 5½ hours today. My supervisor wasn't even there today.

I bought a new battery, installed it, primed everything, and the TDI wheezed back to life with two fresh gallons in her tank.

Lesson learned: I won't be so trusting of the "orange light of love" anymore. When it turns on, I'll be filling up within a day's commute.

BTW, I apparently can't get 750 miles on a full tank with commuter driving. A long trip, no problem. But, not day-to-day driving.

squire89

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
that would be why i never let my gauge go below 1/8th of a tank. but at least you didn't have any major troubles.

and good thing you had good luck with the cops as well

Last edited:

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0

Also, I never let my car go more than 600 miles without a fill up.

that would be why i never let my gauge go below 1/8th of a tank. but at least you didn't have any major troubles.

Last edited:

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Rocketeer,

I think we're all just glad that both you and your Jetta came out of the situation without major injuries. I thought about pushing my 1/8 tank on the trip over to CoolairVW's to drop my car off for service -- in light of your experience, I'm glad I stopped on the way and filled the tank.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys. Yup, I learned my lesson.

The "orange light of love" is currently on in my pickup. Trying to get my wife to go out with me to go get some Dunkin' Donuts coffee this morning. And, of course we'll go fill up the truck's tank.

Ich muß tanken.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've heard the 1.9 gallons is an estimate and it varies from car-to-car. Now you know yours is less. I know Lug_Nut recalibrated his gauge to allow him an extra gallon.

My son regularly goes 60-75 miles after the light comes on. I'm usually too nervous for that.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
My light usually comes on at 675/700 miles, I usually try to fill soon after though often get to 750/765 before getting to the fuel pump. Got to 803 once because I forgot to stop and fill up on way home from work, did the coast and burn all the way to 1st fuel pump the next morning. Usually about 16.3 gallons fills the tank to the tip of the filler neck.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Between the two gallons on Friday morning trying to get the car started while it was dead, and the fill up last night, I put 17.3 gallons in the tank to the brim. Wow! And, I only got 42.8 mpg :(

IBW, I thought RC5 was supposed to be more fuel efficient than RC4. At least, that is what I was led to believe. Perhaps it's the 11-mm IP sucking up all my fuel mileage. With RC4 and the 10-mm IP, I was averaging 45-46 mpg. I got 49.1 mpg on a long trip to and from WNY using the 11-mm IP with RC4 still on the Jetta at the end of May.

BTW, after my mother read my story, she e-mailed me saying that I had her rolling on the floor in fits of laughter. Thanks mom... That's alright; I'm laughing about it too.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
Issue with R8 LED Style eBay Headlights

I do like the R8 type LEDs, which is why I purchased the headlights that are currently on my Jetta. Makes my car look a bit unique. To be honest though, I'm not really satisfied with the actual headlight beam pattern, and others who bought these have the same complaint. It seems that one cannot adjust the pattern at all on the headlights themselves.

Right out of the box, the beam pattern is too low and in toward one another. What I did a few months ago (which the auto body shop undid upon fixing deer damage), and what I did again just yesterday was to place nylon washers underneath the bottom tabs. I had to purchase longer sheet metal screws and washers to do this, and I ground the washers on two sides to fit nicely. Underneath the inner bottom tabs I placed a ~1-cm nylon washer and on the outer bottom tabs I placed two nylon washers where the thickness is less than 1 cm. The idea is to raise the beam pattern and point the light a bit more outward.

This certainly helps raise and spread the light beam. One thing I cannot stand is not being able to see well at dusk or night, especially when rain hits the horribly marked, anti-reflective Connecticut roads.

But, here's the problem: Since the headlights are tilted upward to achieve a usable light beam pattern, they look a little funny on the front of the car. Not horrible, but just off enough for the discerning eye to notice. We'll see how it goes. I've been contemplating dumping these eBay specials perhaps in the autumn and going with a pair of European specification headlights, such as the Hella 1J5-698-001-BG, but they are pricey. Seeing well at night is important to me, though I'm not willing to spend the big bucks for HID. Besides, I don't like the look of the HID lights available for the MKIV Jetta.

Again, experimenting always costs $$$.

Last edited:

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Do a Getta conversion and then you'll have all the Golf headlight assemblies to choose from,
It's pretty straight forward, especially if you can find a Golf that aspires to be Jolf. Threads abound on Vortex on the subject and probably cheaper then Jetta HIDs. But I can see not wanting to let go of all the new freshly painted body parts.
Regardless, your car rocks.
I'm getting these http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--1.8T/Lighting/Headlights/ES1896868/

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Drove up to Toronto to see my parents. I filled up for $3.15 at Mobil in East Aurora when the orange light came on and then a few mins later in West Seneca the Mobil was at $2.95! Man I was kickin myself. But now I don't feel bad after this story. I had a couple run dry experiences about 20 years ago and since then dont push it. One tow and all the money you can recover in a few cents price difference is gone.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think RC5 is more fuel-efficient than 4. I'm getting 47-48 with no problems with RC6, using my A/C the entire time.