Changing out stereo components on B4 wagon

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Digging this one up from the dead. My b4 stereo died on me and I found a single DIN stereo from an 01 Jetta wagon 1J0035180B it seems like this unit will work with my stock vw speakers, according to vwestlife, however, the car has a Monsoon system. I also read about plugging in an adapter for a Blaupunkt amp. How easy or difficult will it be to integrate this stereo into my current system as is since it is a Monsoon head unit with a non-monsoon amp/speakers. Will the stereo have enough power to drive all speakers correctly? Or should I return this guy and find another one?

Thanks,
Justin

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I ran a monsoon for a while without any amp and it was fine. I wasn't impressed with it but then again I'm not really in the audiophile category anymore, just want something coming through. The Monsoon is not p&p though, you have to move a wire in one of the connectors. How it will work with the amp you have I don't know.

For general audio I've found the Mk3 Premium units to be pretty decent, then again there's no aux port either and it's just a cassette unit too. Sound isn't too bad.

Good luck and post back what you figure out!

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Thank you Steve, that is what I was suspecting. I'm not sure why I bought it, just thought I needed one right now. Interesting to see as times go on how you just don't find older cars in yards anymore. I remember when mk2s were a dime a dozen, and then mk3s. Its hard to find mk2s anymore and mk3s are getting difficult as well. I had a thought regarding the inputs in the mk3 stereos for the CD changer, would it be possible to take an RCA to mono cable, strip the wires and plug them into the cd changer sound output pins?