Weathertech Window Deflector Problem

jmutto

TDI
2009 Jetta
Ask the experts or the experienced, that's what I always say! :D

I installed a set of Weathertech window deflectors on my 2009 Jetta. They look great and work well EXCEPT for the one installed on the drivers door. The window hits it something fierce when going up and activates the pinch protection. I have to roll the window up very slooooooowly to get it to stay up.

I installed them following the instructions and even watch the installation video on the Weathertech site. It looks like they are installed correctly.

Anyone have this problem or ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I have the same trouble on the rear windows of the Wagon with the Weathertech wind deflectors installed. It only happens every now and agin, but it just takes a moment to adjust the wind deflectors so they fit properly. I think it has to do with the fact that the rear windows on my car are a bit loose in the track but I just haven't bothered to fix it.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Every once in a blue moon my passenger side front window will hit my WeatherTech. The fix is to manually push the deflector all the way back up into its track and pull it out (sideways, away from the car) slightly, so that the glass once again clears the deflector.

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
I had a similar problem on the '14 JSW (auto reversing of driver window during the final half inch closing). But only sometimes. then it got to be every time, so I removed the driver Weathertech rain guard-the one I used most. Sigh. Much pondering and procrastination followed, and every time it rained, I became determined (once again) to solve the problem.

Weathertech is an in-window-channel design, so it goes in a slot where the window controller isn't expecting more friction, so when it "sees" more friction (likely monitoring motor current), it thinks something is blocking the glass, so reverses the window down. Weathertech machines the flanges, so their quality control is pretty good.

My first thought was to sand the flange down some all along the length, and I thing that would work.

Second idea was to cut crescents out of the flange, to reduce the surface area to bind, and also to allow the flange to press into the window seal with less force. I marked crescents on the flange with a Sharpie marker tracing the bottom of a spray paint can, leaving about an inch of flange between the crescents. Then I took a Dremel tool with a burr bit, and routed out the crescents guiding the Dremel by hand. When done, I deburred the cut surfaces with a pocket knife, cleaned the chips and plastic dust off and reinstalled the rain guard, ran the window up and left it up overnight.

That was more than a month ago, and so far, the window has operated flawlessly. I hope that continues.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Have you tried throwing your Weathertech window deflectors in the trash? Might solve your problem.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What is your problem? You sure helped address the issue by telling them to toss them in the trash, after 9 years. No need to be vulgar just because it was pointed out that the thread is ancient.