goodkingharry

goodkingharry

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, silver
My glow plug harness is shot on my 2003 TDI ALH (4-wire model), and Deoxit won't help. Wingnut's How-To for glow plugs only shows splicing into existing 4-wires with hot-gun and shrink-tubing. I can't find any posting for detailed "How To REPLACE glow plug harness with a NEW one". Did I miss something..anyone know where the wire leads go to/or have photo directions?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've only replaced a couple of 4-wire GP harnesses.

Best I remember, they come with fairly long pig tails. So, I removed the harness and old wire all the way over to and behind the battery. There, was where I cut and spliced the wires. I feel quite certain I removed the battery and tray for access to the wiring bundle......... unwrapped a lot of tape as I recall.

Pretty straight forward as I do not recall reading a tutorial or watching a YouTube on the topic!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have replaced the harness twice and in both cases I fully removed it instead of splicing.

I don't have pics, but the wiring obviously ends on the harness near the driver side of the cylinder head. From there, it travels down to above the starter and continues in the harness under the battery. At that point it travels on the harness towards the cowl as it goes under the intake box. It then and goes up to the junction with a curved plastic. That is the point where the connector is located.

If you look at pic of my engine, the curved plastic is located to the left of the driver strut tower. You will need to remove the battery, battery tray, and intake box. The curve plastic part will come off to expose much of that portion of the harness. I removed the wiring and then just used some good quality electrical tape to tape it to the harness.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
A so-called red neck approach would be to cut both ends of the old harness and run the new harness and wires under the air box and up to the curved housing. This is something I read here a long time ago regarding the ALH. On my Bew I just spliced using about a foot of the new wires; since it does not come with clips to engage in the GP smart relay under the cowl.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
A so-called red neck approach would be to cut both ends of the old harness and run the new harness and wires under the air box and up to the curved housing. This is something I read here a long time ago regarding the ALH. On my Bew I just spliced using about a foot of the new wires; since it does not come with clips to engage in the GP smart relay under the cowl.

He was asking about NOT doing that method.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Had the same on my former 2002 Jetta, decided to pay someone to do it !