TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Just for anyone who may be interested, the mainstream M57, N57 tuners are now flashing DDE's via OBD2 now. JR, BPC, DUDMD...tunes on M57 are pushing 370+whp and 600+ft/lb on stock turbos, no meth.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Just for anyone who may be interested, the mainstream M57, N57 tuners are now flashing DDE's via OBD2 now. JR, BPC, DUDMD...tunes on M57 are pushing 370+whp and 600+ft/lb on stock turbos, no meth.
370whp seems high... do you have a link?

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Yeah... not on a stock turbo and intercooler, and not with the (stock) DPF.
I didn't say stock DPF. Aftermarket intercooler while helpful won't add much HP, unless you are perhaps on hybrid turbos. I replaced my intercooler with an ATM intercooler to remove all the leaky seals...boost leaks suck and can really put a damper on performance. I am running a JR2.8...stock turbos
http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4100/q0hpod6/products/1863/images/6076/ST2.8vs2.5vsstock_web__63159.1490876056.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Last edited:

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I may have been off by 10HP, but pretty dang close...just note this is M57. ;)

http://www.fixmyvw.com/bmw-335d-ecu-tune-jr-autotuning-performance/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1457783

With Stock emissions equipment, your are looking at roughly 325hp/500+ft/lb

Here is n57...emission equipment in place...ie 535d

https://bimmerperformancecenter.com...l-collection/products/f10-n57-diesel-dde-tune
The link you posted is 359hp at engine... your other post you wrote 370 at wheels... 370 at wheels would be probably almost 450 at engine.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
The link you posted is 359hp at engine... your other post you wrote 370 at wheels... 370 at wheels would be probably almost 450 at engine.
It's a standard Dynojet Chart...ie. Max HP at the wheels at "engine RPM" 4.13 = 4,130RPM.

If it helps, Pete below is another run from a friend of mine. Dynos vary widely, but the point of my original post was not to advertise any particular tuner, but note to the group that tunes which were previously flash bench tunes only are now available to be installed via OBD2.

Folks are laying down low 12's on stock turbos in 1/4mi...not happening without a good amount of power increase given a stock 335d is around 14sec range.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NABDOG/permalink/1971722353065630/

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
we've put down well over 350 at the wheels as well, 235 stock, and an APR stage 2 + Mk6 golf R put down 275hp/290lb-ft by comparison.

Have a few cars over 110mph in the 1/4 running low 12s. These motors will take a good amount of abuse and there was a lot left on the table from factory.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
we've put down well over 350 at the wheels as well, 235 stock, and an APR stage 2 + Mk6 golf R put down 275hp/290lb-ft by comparison.

Have a few cars over 110mph in the 1/4 running low 12s. These motors will take a good amount of abuse and there was a lot left on the table from factory.
I did not have link to Malone dyno, but forgot to mention the Malone 2.9 tune as well. Really a nice platform and mods are just now starting to get really serious with cams, turbo options, etc.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI

I'm assuming these are M57 numbers..... What numbers are you guys seeing for the N57 tunes?

Malones website has the 535D stock numbers as 305hp/465tq... but factory numbers are truly 255hp/413tq.... Then stage 1 Malone tune is listed as 340hp/510tq. So I'm confused.

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Peter from Id parts and I have rocketchip tuning in our 335d cars as well as our other VWs, cars,,, Has anyone else tried RC tunes on 335D, Jeff RC does custom tuning that a lot of tuners don't do, I also believe Delvi Acevedo also got RC in his 335D, Id like to know,,,(without flaming any tuners or having arguments who is better or worst) what's is your take on your car tune for these beamers honest replies pls.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
We took the 535D to MI yesterday for a day trip... coming back there were a few empty stretches of road that gave me the opportunity of open it up for a quite a bit... I hit 142mph on the HUD.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Yowza! I've seen 105 on a couple of occasions and the car was very happy, so I can imagine that it will run a bit more. I ran out of room (and guts) and didn't push it any faster.

I thought the cars were limited to 125 though? Not the case for an m-sport? The tuning box won't change your limiter.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
We took the 535D to MI yesterday for a day trip... coming back there were a few empty stretches of road that gave me the opportunity of open it up for a quite a bit... I hit 142mph on the HUD.
Wow! I'm too old and timid for those kinds of speeds. How does the 535 feel at that speed?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I routinely see north of 120 when passing semi's on two lane roads. Stomp the pedal at 60 and it's easily north of 100 when getting back in my lane. No speed limiter on my tuned 335d.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Yowza! I've seen 105 on a couple of occasions and the car was very happy, so I can imagine that it will run a bit more. I ran out of room (and guts) and didn't push it any faster.

I thought the cars were limited to 125 though? Not the case for an m-sport? The tuning box won't change your limiter.
135mph non M Sport
155mph M Sport

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Wow! I'm too old and timid for those kinds of speeds. How does the 535 feel at that speed?

Very smooth and manageable.

I see 160+ on my motorcycle a few times each summer.... and I road race in a amateur league.. so seeing triple digits speeds is not foreign to me.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
I routinely see north of 120 when passing semi's on two lane roads. Stomp the pedal at 60 and it's easily north of 100 when getting back in my lane. No speed limiter on my tuned 335d.
Seems like it would pull forever when that big turbo kicks in, doesn't it :D

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

The electronic limiter is raised to 155 MPH on the M-Sport 535d models. That's what it is on my 2014 535d Xdrive ///M-Sport. :cool: :) The car is only at 102k miles now. My 2012 X5 35d is only at 188k miles and climbing. :cool:

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
The electronic limiter is raised to 155 MPH on the M-Sport 535d models. That's what it is on my 2014 535d Xdrive ///M-Sport. :cool: :) The car is only at 102k miles now. My 2012 X5 35d is only at 188k miles and climbing. :cool:
Any emission control issues with the X5?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Any emission control issues with the X5?
The X5 35d is running great but it has had some emission control work done. It had to have a set of NOx sensors and SCR CAT replaced around 165k miles. Around 140k miles or so it began throwing the P20EE OBD-II code for SCR catalyst efficiency and 4D16 SCR catalyst - efficiency below threshold. These codes would pop up once in a while and I could clear them and drive on. The NOx sensor outputs gradually drop as the sensors "age" and eventually start triggering SCR efficiency related codes. Usually the pre-SCR CAT sensor goes first and the ECU sees NOx levels not being reduced compared to the post CAT sensor. Usually just the NOx sensors just need to be replaced. In my case, after replacing both NOx sensors at 165k miles, it was confirmed that the SCR CAT also needed to be replaced. The SCR CAT was essentially behaving as a straight pipe because NOx levels were not being reduced. I had to get this all taken care to pass the OBD-II scan for my NH state inspection. NOx sensors aren't cheap, around $500 each. The SCR CAT replacement was around $1800.00. I have gone longer than most owners go on a set of NOx sensors. My long and spirited runs on the highway might have something to do with it.

Around 150k miles, code 452A is set and won't clear. 452A is a BMW-specific code for the DPF. It is just an advisory code for BMW dealer service writers to inform the customer that the DPF is approaching end of life and they should schedule an appointment for a $4800 replacement. Around 170k miles, code 4D4A is set and won't clear. 4D4A is also for the DPF and it's a warning that the miles on the car have exceeded the calculated life of the DPF because the car continued to be driven after getting the 452A code. These codes do not trigger any OBD-II codes or limp mode. They are advisory codes for BMW service. The 4D4A code triggers a warning message on the iDrive display about the DPF and shows a DPF symbol on the instrument cluster. I simply clear the iDrive message and drive on. The DPF warning on the cluster goes away after about 10 seconds. The warnings happen only once at 10 minutes after startup. BMW essentially starts nagging you about the DPF and the warnings get more dire as the car continues to be driven.

I am monitoring DPF regenerations with the iCarly smartphone app and BT dongle. All is normal and regenerations are happening like they should. Power and mileage are where they should be. I'm not planning to do anything about the DPF until I have to and I expect that won't be until I'm well into 200k mile territory.

Carly BMW app and BT dongle information:
http://shop.mycarly.com/en/adapter/android-bmw/android-bluetooth-gen-2-adapter-fuer-bmw/a-1017/
http://shop.mycarly.com/en/adapter/android-bmw/
http://www.mycarly.com/product/adapter-android/
http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

I have a Gen II BT dongle in each car. I leave them plugged in all the time so I can immediately have a look with the Carly app whenever I want to.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Thanks for the detailed response.. I have an option to purchase another 4 yr warranty for $3K so was wondering if that was a wise option... I'm thinking I'm going to. .. and after the extended warranty is over I'll delete all my emission controls and get it retuned with Malone.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Thanks for the detailed response.. I have an option to purchase another 4 yr warranty for $3K so was wondering if that was a wise option... I'm thinking I'm going to. .. and after the extended warranty is over I'll delete all my emission controls and get it retuned with Malone.
Seems a little counter productive.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Hope the pictures look right. Easy peasy towing, it felt more solid than the Q7, but that one didn’t have the air suspension either. 16.5mpg towing with a few stops idling.
She looks mean! And that Titan Silver in the sun? Come on now.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I think the fastest speed limit in the Country is 80? So I am at a loss to hear of people driving this fast on Public roads and bragging about it on a public forum....:eek:
Hey tomo - I wasn't really bragging. I found a flat open stretch of highway and said to myself "what if I stomp" and before I knew it I was going too fast! And I wimped out pretty quickly at that point... :eek:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Fastest I've seen is a little north of 90 in my X5D. Pulled out to pass a semi on a 2-lane hwy and kept my foot in it like I would've in my VW. I was shocked to see the speed because I was expecting it to be around 65 or so (which would've been generous for the VW). It is so smooth, quiet and solid that it feels like 30. These things are designed to go crazy fast with no drama.