1st gen Tacoma ALH

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
it does work if you use randy's heavy flywheel that I suggested he start making. The flywheel has the 4 cylinder crank pattern but fits the v6 clutch (which is larger).

I have the original w59 transmisison that came behind the 3rz with a bell housing from a 22re truck (w56, i believe) and it all works great. This all works with Randy's adapter.
Does your bellhousing have the clutch fork on the passenger side?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Ok, skip that last question, I went through your thread and pics, looks like my bellhousing. Good news. I take it no machining of a step on that flywheel is necessary? How do you like that clutch so far?

Runninwild

Veteran Member
TDI
AAZ swapped 2000 tacoma
I have a feeling that is the way it is.
I got an email update that you asked about coolant hoses on your thread, but the question is not there. Small hose in question would be to your expansion tank
Yeah I went and had a look at the truck and think I figured it out so just deleted the post. coolant system looks pretty straight forward. Gonna put a big day on the truck Saturday and try and make a lot of progress. Will have everything I need to get the motor completely buttoned back up then I can start focusing on getting In the harness and cooling system together.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
Ok, skip that last question, I went through your thread and pics, looks like my bellhousing. Good news. I take it no machining of a step on that flywheel is necessary? How do you like that clutch so far?
No machining necessary. You can thank Jimbote for pioneering that idea with his swap, me for pointing this out to Randy and asking Randy to make that part, and Randy for making the part :D

The clutch seems good so far, but the truck has only really be driven around the yard, so I cant comment too much. Engagement is very smooth, and pedal effort is fine.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No machining necessary. You can thank Jimbote for pioneering that idea with his swap, me for pointing this out to Randy and asking Randy to make that part, and Randy for making the part :D
The clutch seems good so far, but the truck has only really be driven around the yard, so I cant comment too much. Engagement is very smooth, and pedal effort is fine.
Thanks for getting back. I just got done rereading your thread and my answers were pretty much in there, sorry for the redundancy. By the time I get to mine you might have a review on that clutch:D.
Does that adapter utilize the oil pan bolts? I couldn't tell by pics, but it looks like it might. I think I might have to clock my pan toward the drivers side to get between the pumpkin and weldment on the driver side axle tube. Mine is a straight axle and the pumpkin is on the passenger side.
I've been bothering Randy with questions for awhile now and I'm not done yet. He's been pretty good about it. His products look topnotch and it appears all my questions about the flywheel are done, looks like a fit to me!
Before I buy or build an adapter I am going to mock up a two piece clockable wooden one just to see what I need to do to avoid the diff from coming up and biffing my oil pan.
Having holdups getting this project to the forefront of my priorities list. I'm on my second generation of daughterhood;)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And thanks to both you and Jimbote for your build threads and vendor input

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, Randy's adapter uses the oil pan bolts. I had to notch my oil pan quite a lot to get around the front IFS diff. It was handy to be able to bolt the pan alone without engine to the adapter and make the cuts/patch.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally finished this project. I told myself I just needed to get out there after baby bedtime a couple nights a week, and work during naptime on the weekends, and I made a lot of progress over the last year. I found getting this engine bay to look good and be functional a bit of a challenge, but it came out pretty well. The truck runs and drives great. Its got and inspection and alignment this week, then its daily driving time. Also, the truck is casually for sale. My needs have changed pretty significantly in the 3 years that I took to build this. Serious people can PM me.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It’s got a nice stance to it

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
22 hours after topping it off with 3 gallons of fuel at New Haven Citgo, I am home. First test was the mountain after crossing into new York. I decided to see how high the egt's climb, so I proceeded to ease on the throttle in a 5th gear climb. As I reached about 65 it touched 1400 and I eased off, went up it in 5th at 57mph and 1275 degrees with ease. Never went over 1200 again.
So I followed the planned route, Sticks and Stones was closed and I over shot 365, probably because I quit paying attention to the plan and the gps. I was near Benson when I realized I was not on the right road, think I went down 30. I had heard upstate New York is beautiful, that was understated. The smell of Cedar was strong, the river filled with massive boulders awesome. Anyway, stopped at a bar near 10 on 29 for directions, got lots of them. So onward on 29a through Dodgeville and to Herkimer I went, finding neither a flat nor straight road anywhere.
So after eating at Denny's I got on 90 and headed west. I burned a lot of timing farting around in the mountains so I felt like I should at least make it past Buffalo. Setting the cruise at 70 or so, away I went. I ended up stopping at the service center just before it and crashing in the bed of the truck somewhere around midnight. I left the back window open, so of course it starts pouring. About 2;30 or 3 it wakes me up, fortunately the water running toward the front of the bed hadn't made it to the top of the moving blankets I was laying on yet. Time to go and test the windshield wipers. Good thing I stopped before Buffalo, the others were PACKED!
The radio kept shutting off. I thought maybe it was a leak, but then I noticed "usb" on the readout. Unplugged my fully charged phone and all was well. Learn something new every day.
And Dana, thanks for paying attention to little details such as cruise, wipers, and gauge lights!

So anyway, she purred like a baby tiger all the way home cruising between 65 and 75 with the top speed of 78. It was pretty solid and could have easily done more. Traffic was smooth until I got on 23 in Michigan, standing still. The only issue with the truck I had was a flapping noise in Ohio that turned out to be the LR plastic inner fender had come loose. I found a burnt wire on the ground (someone wasn't so lucky), and I applied a Municipal grade repair that made it all the way home.
I topped it off when I got off the Interstate about 38 miles from home, took the miles traveled from the gps and calculated fuel economy. 32.1 with no drivability issues.
GOOD WORK DANA!

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Jim,

Glad the trip went well, and I am very happy that someone as yourself has taken the truck over. It was sad to see it go down the road, but it has gone to a good home. 32 mpg is great!

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Congrats on the purchase and drive home.
I am glad someone bought this and saved the the potential fight with my wife.

It would have been a hard sell to say our 2 driver household needed a 4th vehicle...and would likely require some fancy footwork at the CA DMV.

Awesome build @vtspd....I really had to walk away from the computer, especially after having a beer or two, just so I would not PM you. :cry:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had the feeling I would regret it if I let it pass. I tried to keep my piston count below 100. I think I am at 75 now

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last 3 fuel ups, calculated by gps miles, 34.7, 35.5, 36.6

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
ugh, still jealous over here.
Glad to see it is getting driven.
I dont recall seeing any info on the fuel tank capacity, but at 35 mpg...does that give you an easy 600 mile range?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ugh, still jealous over here.
Glad to see it is getting driven.
I dont recall seeing any info on the fuel tank capacity, but at 35 mpg...does that give you an easy 600 mile range?
17 gal I believe. Just put some stock Toyota steel wheels with 245/75/16 Cooper E range tires I had on it. Also found an R151 trans, bell, and tcase from a turbo model. I think a v6 tcase will bolt to that R151 and fit in there. My next item on the scavenger list.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
amazing mileage. Thank you for keeping this updated Jim, I am very glad to see it in good hands.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
How about you build another one.....;)
I've got to put my TDI audi back together, thats my next project.

My needs for a truck have changed, which is why I sold the Tacoma. It won't haul my 14k equipment trailer.

I'd love to build another for hire, but the cost one would have to charge to actually make money to cover the time would be exorbitant.

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
I've got to put my TDI audi back together, thats my next project.

My needs for a truck have changed, which is why I sold the Tacoma. It won't haul my 14k equipment trailer.

I'd love to build another for hire, but the cost one would have to charge to actually make money to cover the time would be exorbitant.
Lol, I know.
I recently build a $45K fence...if my time was only worth $50/hr.
But I can always hope that someone builds another similar truck/4Runner and then decides to move on....problem is that most do not build to the fit and finish you did. Again, great job. And I am also happy to see it in loving, driving hands.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I do find it a blast to drive, I have a few unnecessary changes I would like to do to it. With one rental home fixed and rented back out, one more to repair and probably sell to finance a project on my home, I will be most likely due to have another ongoing hand surgery. It’s may be time to back off from unnecessary wrenching, depends on the urge I guess.

To those who tend to smack wrenches with the open palm of their hands, I urge you to get familiar with Dupuytrens Contracture. It’s something you get to keep forever.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was actually 12.5” 😉 I put the BFG’s on my K5. Had cookie cutters on a Suburban and they actually worked quite well, with the help of a locker. Those tires work fantastic on the snow covered country 2 lanes

03Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 92 Toyota swap (ongoing)
Yes here's another vote for the duratracs for snow. I had excellent luck running those 235s on my '89 range rover with open diffs through deep snow. Would be running them on my current truck but couldn't find them in 255/85/16