NEED help 2007 TDI Jetta BRM intake flap / asv wiring issue

Sarum

TDI
06' Jetta TDI
...And there are oodles of BMW stuff that you think wouldn't be an issue in short order but is...
I just finished doing timing chain guide rails on a e39 02 540i that were only slightly worn, but enough to retard timing and throw cam position sensor error... this is just one of dozens of gremlins in pretty much every car..

M3 let us know how you made out.. im also having similar problems as u
replaced ASV with another used one.. its possible the other is defective too...

i also believe Bentley may have made a mistake with their numbering of pins 1-5.. i get 5v measure between pins closest to square end (pin 4-5 according to Bentley) and pins 1-2 according to the numbers on the vw connection part on the car..
because mine is not in perfect working order at the moment, there is no way for me to know for sure

m3_madbimmer

TDI
06 tdi jetta
She is purring like a kitten, just had the MIL for egr system which I bypassed!

Easiest way to check shutter valve operation is to apply voltage/ground to the correct two pins and see if she closes.

Sarum

TDI
06' Jetta TDI
i found a proper sequence for testing wiring on BRM V157 ASV:
Troubleshooting Procedures:

***Use only gold-plated terminals when servicing any component with gold-plated electrical harness connector terminals.***

* Disconnect the Intake Flap Motor (V157) electrical harness connector.
Checking voltage

• Switch the ignition On.

* Using a multimeter, measure voltage supply between connector terminals 1 to 3 for voltage. Refer to Wiring Diagrams for Pin locations.
Specified value: approx. 5 V.

* Using a multimeter, measure voltage supply between connector terminals 4 to 5 for voltage.
Specified value: near 4.35 V.

* Using a multimeter, measure voltage supply between connector terminals 2 to 3 for voltage.
Specified value: approx. 5.01 V.

* Switch the ignition Off.

If the specified value was not obtained:

* Check the wiring for a short circuit to each other, Battery positive, Ground or high resistance.
* Check the wiring connections for damage, corrosion, loose or broken terminals.
* If necessary, repair the faulty wiring connection.

If no malfunction is detected in the wiring and the voltage readings were correct:

• Replace the Intake Flap Motor (V157). Refer to the service information for removal and installation procedures.

If no malfunction is detected in the wiring and the voltage readings were Not correct:

Checking wiring

* Remove the Engine Control Module (ECM) (J623). Refer to the repair information.
* Using a multimeter, check the Intake Flap Motor (V157) electrical harness connector to the Engine Control Module (ECM) (J623) electrical harness T60 connector for resistance. Refer to Wiring Diagrams for Pin locations.

Specified value: 1.5 ohms Max.

If the specification was not obtained:

* Check the wiring for a short circuit to each other, Battery positive, Ground or high resistance.
* If necessary, repair the faulty wiring connection.
* Check the electrical harness connector for damage, corrosion, loose or broken terminals.
If no malfunction is detected in the wiring and the voltage readings were Not correct:

* Replace the Engine Control Module (ECM) (J623). Refer to the service information for removal and installation procedures.
Final procedures

as you can see it clearly says test pin 4 and 5 for 5V+
and the instructions in Bentley say to do same test with pin 1-2 but are reversed when u look at the actual numbers beside the pin on the connection itself..
pins 1-2 will never show 5v+ if you go by the numbers on the connectors..

so im fairly confidant Bentley made a typo..

this is quite a serious error on bentley's part i wonder if this may be an old revision? or something.. i cant see this going uncorrected with so many using it..
but i could be wrong

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I routinely find blatant errors and confusion in Bentley manuals, but they are mostly all the documentation we have to go on, so I just try to figure it out using it as a starting point.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Failed ASV photos, etc

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj94/sptsailing/VW/20160724_204734.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj94/sptsailing/VW/20160724_205032.jpg

The above are photos of the failed gears in the ASV, AKA Throttle Body/Regulating Flap, AKA EGR Valve Air Regulator, AKA Intake Flap Motor (Bentley)

These are photos of the OEM part from my 2006 TDI Jetta that now has about 130000 miles on it. I have been getting less than expected fuel efficiency from it for a few years now. Perhaps this has something to do with it.

This failed unit checked out as good just a few months ago. I saw it close, per the ASV test. The check engine light would come on, I would clear it using the VCDS, and it would go a few days again before coming on again. Finally it just stayed on.

This is another example of horrible VW engineering decisions. Crappy plastic gears, really VW? Was this part designed during midnight Octoberfest sessions?

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Old thread revival. 06' BRM here. ASV code. ASV was replaced by some shop the PO took it to. Opened it up and gears look perfect. Applied 12v to the correct pins and watched it open and close fine.

Car would sometimes be hard to start. Start it immediately stall. Start it again, stall again. Start it again and would run but a puff of white smoke out tail pipe. Leads me to believe ASV sticking shut at times.

When shutting the car off it would shudder vs smooth shut off when the ASV is closing properly.

Opened up the engine harness right above the starter. Sure enough 4-5 wires rubbed through. The pair of power wires to the ASV were really corroded.

Repaired the harness today. No more CEL and smooth operation when I shut the car off.