2010 Jetta TDI Radio stopped working suddenly

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Heh, my $500 gift card from VW arrived the day after the untimely demise of my stereo. How serendipitous. Bummer is CES is only a few weeks away so I'm compelled to wait and see what's new in the car audio market. So I guess I'll be driving in silent lucidity for now. :(

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Vw wants like 500 buck or more for refurb radio.
One is better getting an aftermarket one.
Mercedes as I understand use the same crapy radio as the VW.
One can get a much better radio for around the same prive as the rebuilt vw junk.
To have mine repaired is going to cost as much as buying a new better radio with GPS which mine did not have.
The new one I am going for comes with all adapters needed for plug and play so i was told. Will check into further to make sure it will work with my car.

Last edited:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
You can install a factory navigation in your car. You need to add a GPS antenna, but it's easy.
I can vouch for that. the hardest part is the stress of removing the plastic panels without breaking them. With the right tools they pop right off. Thanks again Barry, I can back up now without worrying about running over kids...Mark

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The Beetle radio trim is a lot harder to remove than the Jetta and Golf. The vents snap off of the trim very easy and it's hard to get them back together. I have a few AF radios and navigations available. I also have two of the RCD-510's with the camera input.

LaTuFu

TDI
2010 JSW, 2005 Passat Wagon BHW
Add another 2010 Jetta Sportwagen with a dead radio to the pile. Went to lunch, got in my car to come back to work and was greeted with a loud popping sound in the speakers, and a black screen on the display. Hit the power button on the display and the popping sound stopped. Now the clock flickers on and off repeatedly. The time is still displaying correctly, so the unit is getting power. After reading through this thread and others I am concerned that the battery may drain now while this is going on.

I rarely listen to music any more, I'm just not in the car alone long enough to do it. I mainly use it for BT phone calls for work, the occasional music. Most usage beyond phone calls is BT podcasts or sports talk radio.

I have already spent most of my "goodwill" card getting the pano sunroof drains repaired.

Am I better off getting a Crutchfield unit, or just getting a refurb from BarryT82?

I don't want Nav, I use Google maps on my phone. All I really need/want is good BT and would be nice to keep the use of my steering wheel controls.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Add another 2010 Jetta Sportwagen with a dead radio to the pile. Went to lunch, got in my car to come back to work and was greeted with a loud popping sound in the speakers, and a black screen on the display. Hit the power button on the display and the popping sound stopped. Now the clock flickers on and off repeatedly. The time is still displaying correctly, so the unit is getting power. After reading through this thread and others I am concerned that the battery may drain now while this is going on.

I rarely listen to music any more, I'm just not in the car alone long enough to do it. I mainly use it for BT phone calls for work, the occasional music. Most usage beyond phone calls is BT podcasts or sports talk radio.

I have already spent most of my "goodwill" card getting the pano sunroof drains repaired.

Am I better off getting a Crutchfield unit, or just getting a refurb from BarryT82?

I don't want Nav, I use Google maps on my phone. All I really need/want is good BT and would be nice to keep the use of my steering wheel controls.
A 9w7 Bluetooth with an AF radio would give you everything you want.

jnichols

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
Thank you Mr BarryT82!!

A 9w7 Bluetooth with an AF radio would give you everything you want.
I found this site and was happy when I found some threads posted by BarryT82 regarding my wife's dead Radio in her 2010 Jetta TDI. She drove in silence for 4 months, and she was very happy last night after I installed both the radio and the 9w7 BT device I bought from Barry. He sent quickly and it was packaged very well. Now with the new improved BT she is a very happy customer, and we all know a Happy Wife = a Happy Life!!

Now I need to find the BarryT82 equivalent for my BMW XD diesel, with a BT issue in that.

jnichols

HD F250

TDI
2002 and 2010 Jetta TDI
Add me to the list, wife started car and radio shut off and popped through speakers until I came home and pulled fuse under the hood.

perplex

TDI
Jetta 2010 TDI
are you saying pulling the fuse under the hood fixed your wife's radio? that didn't work for 99% of people on this thread, most of us had to buy a new radio (from barry).

Add me to the list, wife started car and radio shut off and popped through speakers until I came home and pulled fuse under the hood.

swamps

TDI
2011 golf
add me to the list what a joke just purchased the car and loved the radio setup and now it's not wanting to turn on!!!! what are my options guys?
thanks kc

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
are you saying pulling the fuse under the hood fixed your wife's radio? that didn't work for 99% of people on this thread, most of us had to buy a new radio (from barry).
I took it to mean he had to pull the fuse to stop the popping that was comming thru the speakers.

HD F250

TDI
2002 and 2010 Jetta TDI
LOL....sorry for the confusion. It just fixed the popping noise, but the radio is DEAD!

David12846

TDI
Jetta 2010
2010 Jetta TDI and a broken radio since May 2015. Have been in no hurry to get it fixed or replaced, although I do enjoy listening to both AM and FM. Do not use bluetooth. Fuse under the hood is okay. Have not pulled the radio out to check a fuse behind the radio.

I drive at least 100 miles per day. Here's the strange part. A few days ago (early March 2016), the time appeared on the radio and the radio worked! That's about 20,000 miles since the last time the radio worked! Lots of bumps on the road during that time frame too. About 2 minutes later the radio went dark again. It came back on a few minutes later again, but it went dark about 30 seconds later.

20,000 miles for a loose wire to make contact? I doubt it, but I guess anything is possible with a Jetta TDI.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I've seen a few come back on for a few minutes, but go back off and not work again. It's something on the main board.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
probably the same as the flat screen TV's. couple condensors on the power board go out. but on the TV's the power boards are easy to get to and easy to change out the condensors for under $10. have done my TV and a friends. easy

The VW radio power boards, I think must be suspended by strings in the middle of a warehouse and the radio/CD is assembled around them. never get all the parts back in after disassembling it that far.

EDIT: pay no attention to my idiot post....I meant capacitors not condensors. working pack air systems all day today.

Last edited:

ajbowman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI sedan
for anyone that has installed an aftermarket head unit in their 2010... which fuse did you end up using? I had to use an add-a-fuse because my PAC steering wheel control was not powering on the head unit with the key on. I ran a red wire over to the fuse panel, and it work fine, but the fuse position I used turns off while the engine cranks. So on a cold day when I have to cycle the glow plugs the radio starts up, then turns off while the engine cranks, and takes a while to start back up.

I could deal with this annoyance... but it seems like this is causing problems with the PAC steering wheel unit. The buttons will not work right... preset down turns the volume down, volume down changes the radio band, etc. Sometimes it never works right and sometimes it starts working right after 15 minutes or so. It seems like it works OK when I don't cycle the glow plugs but not always. Is anyone else having this problem with the PAC steering wheel module?? Which fuse did you use?

mill

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I am joining the tdi club and the radio quit in my 2010 jetta club !! I must ask has anyone got anywhere with the dealer or manufacturer about reimburstment about this problem ?? most likely not ,but I am wondering !!!since there have been post on here about the problem since 2013 or so!! or are they waiting to get sued on that too, for letting it go, till someone has a fire and hurt or killed !! THANKs for any reply or not !! I am just adding to the dead radio section also!!!!

Gradicus

TDI
Cup Edition
My radio failed about a year ago. It's mostly dead, sometimes springs to life when it's cold. I have a 2010 Cup Edition and the radio model ends in AC.

OnceLikedMyTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hi, first timer here, same, same!

YUUUUP, another bites the dust! (and another gone, another gone) I have a 2011 TDI and the radio died on me last year around 70K miles. I have been so busy haven't gotten time to look into it in depth. I finally pulled it out last weekend, fuse behind radio is good and everything else looks fine, also tried the reset function. I guess I have one of the "AC" versions that are crap. I talked to VW several times (I'm overseas so can't go into a dealer really) and they ask for the VIN, then proceed to tell me my car does not have any reported radio issues and no extended warranties available. Very frustrating! In fact, is it infuriating! Especially since they want $1,400 for a new radio. I talked to Barry, probably just going to swap another in there (is the AF a direct swap? I've noticed there is one connection, the little small green one, that looks different on some models).

I'd be willing to put in an aftermarket radio, especially w/ DVD features, but does anyone know of one that will install fairly easily and keep the functions like steering wheel controls?

Thanks for listening, I'm with y'all in this struggle against the Man.

mill

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
ground

before we just replace the radio should we look into the ground that was mentioned if so do you kno were it the ground is we need to address , or is the problem mainly in the radio ! Thanks for any advice so we don't have to do this anytime soon !!!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The problem is in the radio. I've had a few of the revision AC radios fail. I have the newer revisions available for sale.

postroad33

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagon
same issue with my 2010 jetta radio

it just died on me yesterday the dealership wants to charge me $1200 for a new one and labor

i can buy one on ebay for $90 is there any web site or video that shows how to install it.. cant think it would be too difficult

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
it just died on me yesterday the dealership wants to charge me $1200 for a new one and labor

i can buy one on ebay for $90 is there any web site or video that shows how to install it.. cant think it would be too difficult
That's probably the Chinese version. They're a lot different.

woodentoy

TDIClub Friend
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Mine died today on the way back from Block Island. Took my wife there for her birthday and the radio jut stopped about half way home. At this point I'm doing nothing but wait until this summer and see what happens with VW.

mill

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
no joke !! Barry is the man to talk to when it comes to fixing your VW radio !! I give him and his new radio 5 stars !! no tools but maybe small screw driver ,a star driver and or a small putty knife to pop plastics up about a hour u can be up and going again with all your tunes back !!!! xxxxx THANKS AGAIN BARRY T 82 !!