Replacing the 09A valve body

aaronalfa

TDI
2004 Jetta Auto
So I finally got sick of waiting up to 10 minutes to drive away when the car was cold due to the no-shifting crap-tronic 09A solenoid problem so many of us have after 100xxx miles or so (your mileage may vary) and ordered a rebuilt valve body with all new solenoids from a recommended Ebay vendor.

I'd done much reading about this problem over time, and decided against doing just one valve after talking to a couple of shops who have repaired this. Per these guys, if you're going to all the trouble of taking it apart, do the whole thing and get new solenoids all around, and check the two gaskets behind the body, one of which is prone to leaking and causes the other typical failure mode of no reverse. The valve body was $550 plus shipping with a two year warranty BTW.

Now for the "fun" part - getting to it. It would appear from what I read in most places, people got to it partially through the side and by pulling the transmission backwards after releasing one of the mounts - I'm stubborn, and besides, that sounded like way too much work taking the wheel off and all that. So here's how I did it in under two hours:

1.Drove car up on ramps - front only.
2.Remove bumper and support beam underneath
3.Remove headlights, front center support and trunk latch
4.Remove upper radiator hose, fan connectors, drop radiator and condenser down as one unit.
5.Remove airbox, maf, battery, battery tray, shift linkage
6.Remove power steering hard line at pump (large banjo fitting)
7.Using zip ties, tie back misc wiring harnesses, hoses, etc from front of trans pan.

Voila - you now have FULLY CLEAR access to the pan, and can sit smugly on a pillow while leasurely removing the pan and valve body without having to guess or feel from the top or side. Trust me, removing all of these items did not take even an hour. As a bonus, I'll be able to replace my oil pan which has been leaking for sometime, and check on other usually hard to access items on the front of the car at that time.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Ah oh so familiar. Did just the solenoids years ago on my friends 01? 02? Golf 332 or some weird model like that. Sadly, it did improve the shifting but the damage had been done. It started slipping in some gears right after the solenoid swap and the fluid that came out when doing the swap was baaadddd

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
One thing I just remembered also that was a MAJOR PITA! Mostly bolts holding his valve body in and a few nuts. Well one of the "studs" that the nuts went on is a bolt inside the trans and if you push on it a bit it slips right into the trans making it impossible to get the nut on it. Some fancy work with a piece of magnet and I managed to get it back out. But wow what a pain.

aaronalfa

TDI
2004 Jetta Auto
The part that they don't tell you in the manuals is that you have to align that slide valve when you pull the body out, and then again when you put it in by rotating the shift lever counter clockwise then back a notch, and you have to be very careful that the two washers in the back don't fall out during reassembly.
I would say it went back together pretty well, though the bumper pieces never really fit that well and it was kind of a hassle to get it aligned right.
Overall I'm pretty happy, I'll likely drive the car til it dies at this point. I do think the 01M had a nicer, firmer shift action than the 09A, but it was of course a lot less reliable. I've always thought the shift logic in these was just awful - revs way too high before shifts, downshifts way too soon, very mushy feeling. I'd bet that these cars lose an easy 5 mpg just due to the wastefulness of the 09A shift logic itself...

grubyuppie

TDI
01 NB ALH 5sp M/T
The part that they don't tell you in the manuals is that you have to align that slide valve when you pull the body out, and then again when you put it in by rotating the shift lever counter clockwise then back a notch, and you have to be very careful that the two washers in the back don't fall out during reassembly.
..."rotating the shaft lever counter-clockwise." How do you turn the shaft lever?
And to line up the slide valve notch do you have to push it all the way to the driver's side of the valve body?
Regarding the 2 washers: if they fall out then do you install those into the tranny or into the valve body?

Last edited: