Will any fuel hose work?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I have a leak in the hose that connects the metal fuel line (after the filter) to the tandem. It is a short Z shaped hose but to change it with original parts I would have to buy [FONT=&quot]038130308M to the tune of $250 before taxes.

Would just any fuel hose from Canadian Tire work?

The leak is bad enough to leave 30-40 cm patches overnight.
[/FONT]

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Do you really think $65 per inch is expensive?

The angles and close spacing of the tube and pump inlet may make it difficult to route the hose without kinking. You may have to make a loop to get the approach right, but otherwise just use any fuel line. I have been using the local parts store kind of fuel line for diesel without problems.

Paul

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you really think $65 per inch is expensive?
Are you pulling my leg?

You may have to make a loop to get the approach right...
Paul
Yea a loop is what I thought and exactly what I did. I paid about 6 bucks (tax in) for a foot of 7.9mm fuel hose at CT.

This is the right hose for next time:

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3077

BTW, the leak at the hose is solved but the real leak was at the tandem. Time to change it out, as that was already fixed with a sheet of Viton but the viton was having issues with the winter. Leaking a river when cold.
Old gasket in and it leaks a drop every couple of seconds at idle.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I've got a (very minor) leak in the same small Z shaped section - mainly because whoever owned the car before me had this section of hose replaced, and used regular fuel hose.

I would REALLY like to get my hands on the original hard formed section, but without blowing $200 on the whole apparatus it connects to....

Anyone have any luck?

And how well does the loop method with the generic hose work? I might go that route if I can't find the hard Z.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Are you pulling my leg?

Yea a loop is what I thought and exactly what I did. I paid about 6 bucks (tax in) for a foot of 7.9mm fuel hose at CT.

This is the right hose for next time:

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3077

BTW, the leak at the hose is solved but the real leak was at the tandem. Time to change it out, as that was already fixed with a sheet of Viton but the viton was having issues with the winter. Leaking a river when cold.
Old gasket in and it leaks a drop every couple of seconds at idle.
Are you sure it's the pump leaking? I relaced mine due to a leak and I believe all that was leaking was the $10 mounting gasket. Now if the top cover is leaking, time for a new tandem pump.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I've got a (very minor) leak in the same small Z shaped section - mainly because whoever owned the car before me had this section of hose replaced, and used regular fuel hose.

I would REALLY like to get my hands on the original hard formed section, but without blowing $200 on the whole apparatus it connects to....

Anyone have any luck?...QUOTE]

The real deal is $144 at 1stvwparts.com.

038130308M

It includes the fuel temperature sensor, I believe, and the metal lines accross the front of the engine.

--Nate

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you sure it's the pump leaking? I relaced mine due to a leak and I believe all that was leaking was the $10 mounting gasket. Now if the top cover is leaking, time for a new tandem pump.

--Nate
No doubt. It is in fact the outer lid. I am sure I could make it work but this is my daily driver and I have no choice but a change of pump. I already got one from Jimbote, a Bosch.

This LuK I have has a metal gasket for the outside lid. This metal is also embedded in a polymer but looks like it is not covering the whole metal now. I think if I brush some RTV back into the metal may work.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
And how well does the loop method with the generic hose work? I might go that route if I can't find the hard Z.
The loop works like a charm. Just make sure you use 1 foot and the right internal diameter. The hose I got was a tiny bit bigger diameter but it is working fine with worm type clamps.

SMR

TDI
Currently: None :(, Previously: '04 Golf GLS, '12 Jetta 6M; Non-TDI Diesel: 116d EffDynEd
The loop works like a charm. Just make sure you use 1 foot and the right internal diameter. The hose I got was a tiny bit bigger diameter but it is working fine with worm type clamps.
I also did the same thing with 5/16" ID hose -- Parker Superflex 39705. The OEM hose has an 8mm ID and 5/16" is very close (about 7.93mm). The OD of this new hose fits the existing clamps very well. It was about $5/ft at my local biodiesel coop.

1 foot was a little too tight of a loop and I worried about it kinking. I was also concerned about it rubbing against nearby metal hose clamps and cutting another hole. I ended up making a wider loop with approximately two feet that only ever touches the plastic air box and other hoses. It's been fine like this for 2-3k miles.

Here's a picture:

Last edited:

dlu

TDI
'02 Jetta Wagon, '05 Jetta Wagon
For the record, 16" of 5/16" fuel hose in a loop worked nicely.
Haven't decided yet if I want to get the 038130308M assembly and do it "right," but if you're inclined that way the best prices (early 2019) seem to be at 1stVWParts.com ($150ish plus shipping) and IDparts.com ($164ish plus shipping).

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I have used Tygon fuel hose. It is bio safe and clear. You can make the loop with about 9 inches without it closing off. Even better is you can see if there are any air bubbles