IP lock

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
When doing a timing belt and head replacement, does the ip need to be locked at tdc?

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Yessir
You can buy or make your own pin tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enabled

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Manual, BMW 328d SW
Yes.

And they made it extra fun by providing phantom holes to keep you on your toes.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Well no, but you need to index it to the correct place and pin it before you try to put it back together -- at least if you want the car to start you do :)

Oh, and as noted, beware the "suckerhole."

jon_570

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH Jetta 1.9
I kept finding those phantom holes. So I ended up taking the gear off the ip. Then lining it up and putting the gear back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
ok, so the head is off and timing belt is off. I don't think that the ip is pinned correctly as the pulley turns about an inch in either direction. Since the belt is off, can I just turn the ip sprocket/pulley until I visualize the correct hole using a mirror and then pin it?

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yes. Just don't turn it counterclockwise using the large nut; if you back THAT off and lose the indexing on the hub (not easy to do, but not impossible) THEN you have real trouble. That nut should be plenty tight to prevent it from coming loose with the belt off but do pay attention.

The slot in the hub (through which the pin goes) lines up with the square on the top of the pump body (it's rather obvious looking at it, there's only one) -- that's where the correct hole is. There is also a sucker hole that is far enough away that if you pin there you're out of the injection window and it will not start.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
But it's not really a hole. The hole is in a squarish boss above the shaft.

Some have put the pin through the slot in the hub but to the side of the boss. The slot kinda keeps the pin aligned but once you feel how tight the real hole is there's no mistaking it.

That is if you're using a 6mm pin and not something smaller that slops around. I use shank of a 6mm drill bit.