Quantity Adjustor Cleaned!

Hakcobra

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I just cleaned my QA today and so far so good. The engine was surging very badly and the QA was bouncing around. Just got back from a test drive and so far so good. Thank you for the write up. Found a bunch of debris, metal shavings, dirt, etc. once I pulled the circuit board up. Hopefully this will get me by till I can have it rebuilt.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I was having an issue with idle balance (Group 13). It would either hunt back and forth from the limits (-2.99 to 2.99) or just peg out 2 of the cylinders at 2.99. I installed a quantity adjuster of unknown condition and it did not fix the issue. I then disassembled my QA from the old repair and cleaned out all the metal that was in it. After reinstalling, it fixed my idle balance but I am having a problem getting group 19 to give me voltages that will satisfy both the lower limit and the upper limit. Currently, I have 0.940 and 4.100 volts. My volts from the last cleaning and the tolerance are listed below. Currently this gives me an upper limit fault. You can see how, if I increase the arm position, it will give me a lower limit fault. Does anyone know a fix for this? Maybe, I need to check my solder connections?

From my last rebuild:

Group 19 0.880 & 4.640 volts.

Tolerances:
Group 019 (Quantity adjuster)
Block 1;Voltage from modulating piston displacement sensor: 0.500 - 0.970 V
Block 2;Voltage from piston displacement sensor: 4.150 - 4.740 V

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Fixed!

After a year of the check engine light and blinking glow plug light, the pump started running worse in 5th gear below 70 MPH. I finally cleaned the QA again and there are no more faults and it is smooth running again. I set the modulating piston displacement sensor voltage to 0.56 volts and that brought group 19 into tolerance.

I checked my solder welds and one of them did seem to have more resistance than the others. After the repair, they were all within 0.1 ohms.

The metal buildup does mean that the pump is dying. I have a used 11mm pump on the way. I put over 120,000 miles on this used 11mm pump after rebuilding the QA when I bought it years ago. This is such a fantastic thread.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Thanks to Deereman76 and others for this thread. Going for it on the ‘97 1Z quantity adjuster. About 206k on the original IP. Excellent thread!

Edit. Did everything Deereman76 posted. Soldering went surprisingly well. Truck started, idled rough, wouldn’t shut off w the key, had to stall it. Different starts and idles each timenI turned it on. Observed the sweep and that seems to be where the problem lies. The sweeper catches on something. In different locations. The iron core seems to have worn or something, preventing a smooth sweep. With ~206k on the original 1997 QA, I guess it’s time for a pump rebuild. The Hans option… Anyone had luck with that?

Last edited: