2010 Jetta getting the 'fix' to now being turned in.

rca3rd

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Took my 2010 Jetta to the dealer yesterday for the emissions 'fix'.They called me this morning saying they performed the first fix.The flap fix.But in order to perform the second fix they would have to clear and look into the engine light codes first.While i can certainly understand that,i sadly could not authorize them to do that.I was laid off after ten years with my company on the first of this month.No money for that.So now i am going to have to turn the car in.I have already submitted all of the paperwork.Waiting for a call back from the dealer.This should be interesting.
I have had those codes looked at in the past.They are open glow plug circuits on all four glow plugs.Being an electrician i have never really understood those codes.If a circuit is open,your light bulb for example,or glow plug,or anything,would not function.Yet the car runs just fine.Anyone encountered those codes before?Thanks.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I thought that once they started the fix, there was no turning back. In other words, you let them start the fix so you are no longer eligible for the buyback.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
They did not actually start the "fix". I think that flap was a recall repair. so I would assume that he should be o/k to change to buyback... "turning the car in" also are you talking about doing the buyback? If so.. i believe you will be contacted by vwoa not the dealer as far as approval for buyback..

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
No, you can take the third option - do nothing. Thereis *NEVER* a mandate to do the buyback! Drive as is forever, or drive as is until you can afford to get it repaired and then the fix . . .

And, as others have noted, the flap repair is a separate, unrelated, recall . . .

rca3rd

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Yeah,i think the open glow plug circuit has to do with heating the glow plugs from what i have been able to find out.That makes sense because my car has a very very hard time starting in the winter time here in Colorado.My friend's TDI's seem to start pretty easy.

rca3rd

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Thanks for the info everyone.That all makes sense to me.I will keep driving the car or see if i can do the buyback option.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I don't think that glowplugs are all that expensive to fix, but I'm not all that familiar with CR cars. On the ALH you can easily test the glowplugs with a multi-meter. If they all check out then you know its the harness. Again, I'm referencing the ALH motor not the CR, but it might not be a big deal to fix.

Definitely something you should fix if you plan to keep the car through winter.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
https://www.vwpartscenter.net/oem-p...ldHRhJnk9MjAxMCZ0PXRkaSZlPTItMGwtbDQtZGllc2Vs

call it $100 each.

http://www.natef.org/natef/media/natefmedia/vw files/2-0-tdi-ssp.pdf see page 48

<B>
Cylinder Pressure Sensors
</B>​
A cylinder pressure sensor is integrated into each
of the Glow Plugs. The glow element is attached
to an extension, which can apply pressure to a
diaphragm. The diaphragm has strain gauges that
change resistance by deformation. The integrated
electronics calculate tension, which is proportional to
the combustion chamber pressure.
Signal Use
The pressure sensor collects cylinder burn-data such
as the burn moment and the situation of the burn
in relation to the crankshaft. This can result in an
increase or decrease of the injection amount, as the
pressure is indirectly related to the injection amount.
Correcting the injection using pressure sensor
information balances the injection for all cylinders.
In addition, this correction applies to manufacturing
tolerances and engine aging.
As a direct result of the pressure sensors, emission
tolerances are clearly reduced over the life span of
the engine.
The regulation of the burn is accomplished by shifting
the start of injection. Thus, the burn stabilizes during
times of very large exhaust recirculation rates and
misfires and other running issues can be avoided.
Also, the pressures can help to balance the time
delays caused by bad fuel (low Cetane).
Effect of Failure
If one of the pressure sensors fails, a substitute value
will be used from the other pressure sensors

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just reread the op. From your post, VW did the flap recall but did not start the emissions work. If that is the case, you should be able to change from fix to buyback.

rca3rd

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I just got the car back from the dealer.The codes are:

P0671,P0672,P0673,P0674 1-4 Cylinder Glow Plug Circuit High

P048? Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control

rca3rd

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Talked to VW today.They said i CAN change my mind at anytime.They would reset my account on the Claims Portal and i would go back to Step 8.I have until 9/1/2018 to do this and make a choice.So i am just going to keep running the car for now.Find out what these glow plug codes are all about.Cannot find much info on them.

Eliminator SS

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Fyi, my car had a code for exhaust gas filtration high circuit. Was a bad dpf sensor. Had to argue with vw for a couple days but they eventually saw the error in their ways and fixed it free of charge.