Got the "fix" friday, got P0401 code today :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
See even you're local indy shops are consistently inconsistent with information, just like VWoA branded dealers.

I'm guessing its the luck of the draw with the tech and how they fell the day of the software if they are gonna stick it to you.

Grnfsh

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
My Jetta is at the dealer now. Dropped off this morning. Though I had a glow plug 'harness" issue, turned out to be just a glow plug. I'm just going to let them do the plug swap and get on with this.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
I have a copy of the repair document from VW will load pic. No where did it say DPF for 2009 09 will get a DPF because of it welded to cat but I think that will be a long road to fix best to scrap them all. and 2010-14!!!
The service writer is waiting to here from VW on one that they did last week and the light is on now for the P0410 = cracked DPF???
sorry upside down can some one fix it.

Who told you dpf is not covered? The warrenty specifically lists the dpf as a covered part. My paperwork I recieved after my gen 1 fix stated that vehicle was scanned and road tested and it performs as vw intended. To me that means if a emmisions part fails now I am covered. None of this bs from the dealer. Also warrenry book states all disputes will be settles in favor of customer.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The 09 get's a new DPF 10 to 14 don't get one. But The DPF is covered under the warranty extension.

CNGVW

TDI
Who says and show some documents saying it.
The above is today from VW on the extension it shows no DPF!!!
The above is a legal binding approved document with the EPA!!
But time will tell if it is or not.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
OK give me min.

MonsterTDI09

TDI

Here you go.

CNGVW

TDI

Here you go.
only for the 2009 because it is welded to the car in the car as I said. All other 2010-14
THE DPF IS NOT COVERED. As I show in the VW document . I did have a copy of the 2009 one it did say change out the DPF but you will not see that being done . I think they will buy all those back!!
My document is today so all dealers must use this working foreword !! till it is change from VW

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
"All other 2010-14
THE DPF IS NOT COVERED".
...some people might misunderstand what your saying.. the dpf IS covered under the emissions warranty AFTER the fix...>>> "The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective
Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel
Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors
and actuators"<<<<

Last edited:

CNGVW

TDI
Where is this document can we post it. The dealer say no so I think we need to post it so owners can have some thing to use.
But it still leave ever one with a check engine light on for a P0401 being forced to fix be for repair is done.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Page 9 of the booklet I got in the mail states the following (I underlined the DPF part):

Extended Emissions Warranty

Coverage (continued)
Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty

The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalytic converter (DOC), the NOx
Reduction Catalytic Converter, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators;

The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail,
fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve, and all
sensors and actuators;

The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR
temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors
and actuators;

The air intake pipe and charge air cooler, charge air temperature
sensor and air mass sensor (HFM);

The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper;

The glow plug;

The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, any malfunctions detected
by the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system other than those related
to the transmission
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable
taxes. If the warranty service is scheduled to take longer than three
hours VW must provide a loaner vehicle. The extended emissions
warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts
concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer.
More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is available at www.vwdiesellookup.com and in the customer letter we sent to you previously.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think the question here is whether or not the dealer will cover a DPF failure post-fix during the warranty period. It's pretty clear that they will. The question is whether the dealer will replace a DPF that has failed prior to implementing the fix. That failed DPF obviously isn't covered by the warranty, since the warranty starts when the fix is implemented.

The OP has made an effort to disguise the previously failed DPF, and, if that effort was successful, the dealer may either replace it under warranty. Alternatively, knowing that it failed prior to the fix implementation, the dealer could replace it as a good will gesture. It's clear that others are hoping for same.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
That's for a manual trans.. should be the same as auto trans. trans. not covered anyway...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
And for folks reading only this thread, the 2009 MY gets a new DPF as part of the fix, but those with a DSG have to wait for now. the DSG update has a flaw so those of use who started the fix are still driving a loaner a month later.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The OP has made an effort to disguise the previously failed DPF, and, if that effort was successful, the dealer may either replace it under warranty. Alternatively, knowing that it failed prior to the fix implementation, the dealer could replace it as a good will gesture. It's clear that others are hoping for same.

He didn't disguise the failed DPF, if the dealer did their homework. they could have found it.

The OP just took care of a CEL that was on due to an issue with the EGR flows, which was all that VW was asking of the owners.

Yeah sure splitting hairs sure but it's also the world VW created with GFF. If VW had a code for "cracked DPF" there wouldn't be the issues. Its down to hunting around at the root cause of the issue not a symptom of the problem and then it's up to the dealer to actually think instead of toss parts at it.

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
He didn't disguise the failed DPF, if the dealer did their homework. they could have found it.
Wondering what "homework" the dealer could do to find it? I have a similar issue - I've had P0401 code for ages and black soot on my tailpipe. I'm assuming I have a cracked DPF.

I intend to replace my EGR filter, clean and/or paint the tailpipe to remove the soot, and clear the P0401 code. Short of ripping apart my DPF to actually look at it, how could my dealer determine that my DPF is cracked and demand that I fix it before they do the emissions mod?

I'm trying to cover all my bases here... ideal outcome would be slip my cracked DPF past the dealership, get the emissions mod, and return in 6-12 months with my DPF under warranty.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
ive got a cracked DPF and baked on soot on the tail pipe that i tried cleaning off with brake cleaner, and P0401 codes that pop up every day after i clear them. When i droped the car off to get the "fix" i cleared the codes 3 times that morning.
I call that an attempt to disguise a cracked DPF. I've been told dealers look for fault codes, not readiness. So if you clear the code close to the dealer it may not have time to re-occur between when you cleared it and drop off the car. Seems this was the OP's intent.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wondering what "homework" the dealer could do to find it? I have a similar issue - I've had P0401 code for ages and black soot on my tailpipe. I'm assuming I have a cracked DPF.
I intend to replace my EGR filter, clean and/or paint the tailpipe to remove the soot, and clear the P0401 code. Short of ripping apart my DPF to actually look at it, how could my dealer determine that my DPF is cracked and demand that I fix it before they do the emissions mod?
I'm trying to cover all my bases here... ideal outcome would be slip my cracked DPF past the dealership, get the emissions mod, and return in 6-12 months with my DPF under warranty.
Readiness bits, and historical logs of a P401. Short of them ripping the DPF and performing a bench test, the best they have is looking for codes/soot as you stated.

But as more and more DPF are picked up by VW they may be more aggressive at these inspections.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I call that an attempt to disguise a cracked DPF. I've been told dealers look for fault codes, not readiness. So if you clear the code close to the dealer it may not have time to re-occur between when you cleared it and drop off the car. Seems this was the OP's intent.

Okay okay, I'll agree, cleaning the tailpipe would be considered disguising the cracked DPF.

But as for just replacing the EGR filter to make the P401 code go away, I bet a few dealer have been guilty of doing just that to only have the same code come back and an unhappy customer return.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Dropped of my car for the po401 and po2002 codes today. Car modified two weeks ago. They did not replace dpf at that time. So....dealer calls and tells me mass air flow sensor needs to be replaced before they gen give me a final word on the rest of the emission system. $581 on me. I said I ll pick up car and do it myself and bring car back. They say car wont run because it needs to be programmed after changing out MAF sensor. I say bs and I am coming to get car. Called my local guru and he said the codes may need to be reset but car will run. Part will be here at 2 today. Dealer did say that they will warrenty the dpf if they find it bad so that is good news

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
What does the MAF have to do with po401 & po2002? Both these codes seem to be realted to the DPF but nothing to do with MAF.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bring the car back after not touching the MAF and see if you get the same answer, maybe next they will state you need a new serpentine belt too.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Bring the car back after not touching the MAF and see if you get the same answer, maybe next they will state you need a new serpentine belt too.
All ready changed the MAF sensor just now. Car drives fine. Took less than 5 minutes to change. Based on my Torque App the values at idle in gr/s were a little different. Dont know how accurate Torque is but at idle old MAF was reading 6.48 g/s steady. New MAF was reading 7.4gr/s. Funny when I scanned the car before changing out MAF aftwr I leaft dealer po401 was gone but po2002 was still there. I cleared all codes and will do some driving and when light comes back on I ll vring car back

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Didn't think there were many issues with MAFs going bad on these, you running stock airfilter?

I'd have to feel torque is as accurate as the ECU, as its reading the same values. Is there a calibration the ECU needs to do when MAFs are changed out?

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Didn't think there were many issues with MAFs going bad on these, you running stock airfilter?

I'd have to feel torque is as accurate as the ECU, as its reading the same values. Is there a calibration the ECU needs to do when MAFs are changed out?
My indi mechanic said no calibration is needed. Car does seem to drive a touch better. I am just going to drive until po401 comes back. It will as I know the dpf is cracked.

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Just an update after changing MAF sensor car is different. Zero hesitation except the regular dsg engagment delay. No mil light yet. Scanned it while out today and all readiness monitors have not set so the jury is still out but car is really driving great. I know dpf is cracked as I had soot in tail pipe before fix and still do. I suspect po401 will come back but the po2002 may not. Either way VW told me if dpf is bad after I changed out MAF sensor they will fix on their dime. Glad I kept the car. Just hope I can get dpf squared away before trip from NC to Cape Cod mid Oct.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Dropped of my car for the po401 and po2002 codes today. Car modified two weeks ago. They did not replace dpf at that time. So....dealer calls and tells me mass air flow sensor needs to be replaced before they gen give me a final word on the rest of the emission system. $581 on me. I said I ll pick up car and do it myself and bring car back. They say car wont run because it needs to be programmed after changing out MAF sensor. I say bs and I am coming to get car. Called my local guru and he said the codes may need to be reset but car will run. Part will be here at 2 today. Dealer did say that they will warrenty the dpf if they find it bad so that is good news
Isn't the entire emissions system supposed to be covered by the extended warranty after the fix has been applied? I thought this included all CEL related issues, with the exception of transmission error codes. Why would a defective mass air flow sensor be excluded?