2.0 Gen 1 Modification Completed-Results

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
Check the engine bay fuse box as well! My radio wouldn't turn on and when I got home I checked the fuses and the radio fuse was missing! The dealers seem to be doing some shenanigans back there.
While they had it they did the Emissions Recall, ABS module recall (which failed and required the full replacement) and the snow flap air box recall.

Both the ABS and SnowBox involve (or are right next to) the electrical system.

They have it back in their shop and will let me know Monday.

It would be nice if it’s something simple!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Wanting to keep this thread alive - any others who had the 2.0 Gen 1 fix completed that can report back their results now that the fix is done and you've driven it a fair amount (effect on MPG's, performance, noise, shifting differences (if DSG), any other feedback pertaining to the fix effects after compared to your experience before the fix?

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Wanting to keep this thread alive - any others who had the 2.0 Gen 1 fix completed that can report back their results now that the fix is done and you've driven it a fair amount (effect on MPG's, performance, noise, shifting differences (if DSG), any other feedback pertaining to the fix effects after compared to your experience before the fix?
Have had mine all weekend since fix. First day I noticed some delay in first gear and overall a little bit of sluggishness. Been doing some highway runs and some around town with my foot in it pretty good. Seems to be almost back to before fix feel. Still maybe a little delay off the line but otherwise ok. Also, car was definitly louder at first but as of now it seems smooth as before. One thing I noticed is when I shut down I dont hear as many noises like exhaust flat and anti shutter. Before fix I would hear all sorts of stuff after shutting off, now much less stuff goes on

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Have had mine all weekend since fix. First day I noticed some delay in first gear and overall a little bit of sluggishness. Been doing some highway runs and some around town with my foot in it pretty good. Seems to be almost back to before fix feel. Still maybe a little delay off the line but otherwise ok. Also, car was definitly louder at first but as of now it seems smooth as before. One thing I noticed is when I shut down I dont hear as many noises like exhaust flat and anti shutter. Before fix I would hear all sorts of stuff after shutting off, now much less stuff goes on
is yours a manual or auto.. Thanx

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
For those who have had the Gen 1 fix, would you do it again or do you regret not doing the buyback? I still haven't fixed mine, but my plan is to do it the next time I take it in for regular service.

Martin-Harris

TDI
2009 JSW
For those who have had the Gen 1 fix, would you do it again or do you regret not doing the buyback? I still haven't fixed mine, but my plan is to do it the next time I take it in for regular service.
Don't regret it at all. Even with the decrease mileage, the restitution payment buys a LOT of diesel. For me, the buyback pricing was TERRIBLE. The restitution payment you get regardless, so the buyback option is really just the wholesale trade value. On a 2009 JSW, that was about 8500. I would buy another at that price if I could all day long. Especially since it now has a near comprehensive warranty for 4yrs/48000 miles.

Compared to a pickup or SUV, what I would drive instead of the wagon, I get a pretty decent combination of torque/hauling and mileage. I suspect I will be down from ~37 average to 33/34 average based on first 500 miles after the fix, but since I drive ~70 miles a day, that is still meaningful savings. And if the common rails hold up at all like other diesels, I am hoping to get 300-500K out of it before it dies.

So, yeah, no regrets at all. For people that wanted out of what they thought was an eco clean car, I get it. To take buyback because the offer was just so great, don't understand it at all. The difference between buyback and restitution payment, imo, was terrible on almost all classes. I mean, blue book wholesale trade is what it is, NOT a deal for the seller.

tdiro

TDI
2010 Jetta
Today (08/14/2017), my 2012 Jetta TDI (2.0) Generation 1 has been modified by installation of:
*Exhaust Flap
*O2 Sensor
*NOX Cat
*ERG Filter
*Control Box
*Lubricant
New Fuel Economy revised by VW provided today by dealer who performed modification: 32 mpg (City)/37 mpg (Hwy)
MPG Prior to modification: 52mpg
MPG After modification: 48.7mpg
Other: Nothing difference in performance noted, but the vehicle is a bit louder than prior to modification.
Due to my mileage, I will get $5,100.00 from VW. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the $350.00 from Bosch. I called them, but the representatives are clueless.
Just curious, was exhaust flap covered under some other warranty ? I know there was an extended warranty of 120,000 miles on them, so may be they fixed because of that.
I am trying to figure out, why they are covering exhaust flap for some and not for others.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=480661

Grnfsh

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Dropped car off last night. Loaner turned out to be an Enterprise car. Spent 1.5 hours between time I pulled in to dealership and had keys in hand to drive off. Late this morning dealer called and claims my 2009 needs a new glow plug harness as part of the emissions repair and it is being overnighted so keep the "loaner" for another day. So far, not exactly fluid.
are they making you pay for the glow plug harness? Almost positive mine needs this as well.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
are they making you pay for the glow plug harness? Almost positive mine needs this as well.
Martin-Harris has an 09 JSW. For MY 2009 vehicles, they also get the Glow Plug Control Module replacement. This replacement does not apply to MY2010 and up vehicles (like yours). I suspect that if the dealer can remove the wiring harness without breaking it, the original harness is reused. If they break it in the course of replacing this module, they will replace the harness on VW cost.

Grnfsh

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Martin-Harris has an 09 JSW. For MY 2009 vehicles, they also get the Glow Plug Control Module replacement. This replacement does not apply to MY2010 and up vehicles (like yours). I suspect that if the dealer can remove the wiring harness without breaking it, the original harness is reused. If they break it in the course of replacing this module, they will replace the harness on VW cost.
except my CEL is on due to the harness being an issue. Curious how this will play out? I'm not spending $700 for a wire harness.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
If you clear your CEL, assuming they check the ECU for pending codes, they will see some of the readiness monitors may not have gone through sufficient cycles to provide enough information to determine if a fault exists, which will look suspicious (would to me).

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Just returned from the VW dealer. About 30 minute drive home. Parked the car in the garage and I could hear something under the hood. I popped the hood and removed the engine cover. The coolant is boiling. I don't know what else could be making bubbling boiling noises. Called the dealer and the service is closed. So now I'm concerned I should not drive the car and stuck without a car. How wonderful is this?
The temp gauge is reading 190 like is always does and no CEL or other warning lights.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I just picked up my 09 JSW M/T today from the recall.
I think they fried my alternator and the auto parts store I coasted into agreed.
VW roadside assistance is towing it back to the dealer. Will let you all know what happens next.
... I don’t want to do the job myself when they fried it.
Update - I replaced the alternator (and battery) both under warranty from the parts store I bought them from. All is well now and I should note, the problem was the alternator pulley clutch — not fried electronics, so the dealer didn’t directly cause the alternator failure as I originally assumed.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I got to drive my car for a full day today after getting the fix.
I’m very happy.
Drivability is still very good - in fact someone who hasn’t already had 275,000 miles behind its wheel probably wouldn’t even notice the change.
Here’s what I noticed:
1) seems a little less torque in the very low end of rpm’s (less than 1500 rpm).
2) sound is a little different in low rpms (sounds a little more diesel-like but not anything noticeable to anyone not intamately familiar with these cars).
3) BEST OF ALL: my mpg’s are better.
MPG notes:
I drive 200 miles round trip 3 times per week (same route every time mostly highway)
Depending on weather, wind, and traffic the mfd numbers vary but:
2 years ago I would see 40 or more on the mfd for this trip.
For the past 2 years I normally was seeing 36 or so on the mfd
I attribute the decrease to egr restricted flow and dpf cracks causing the computer to try and compensate somehow. Big guess here but who knows.
We all know hand calculated is better but I’m assuming mfd is consistent on a car from trip to trip.
My tires are about 10% bigger circumference vs stock so if the mfd is not miscalibrated for stock tires I was normally getting about 39 MPG
Today (after the fix) The mfd reported 40.1 on the trip. I’ve not seen anything over 38 on the mfd for a very long time. Adding my 10% puts it more like 44 MPG.
This is just ONE trip and these are MFD numbers, not hand calculated. Time will tell if that holds true.
Very glad I did the fix.

Jackiechan005

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Completed my fix on my 2010 Gen I TDI (6sp manual - 138,XXX miles). The dealer kept the car for 3 days as they had issues with replacing a glow plug module while I beat on a 2016 Nissan Altima (CVT's are very odd transmissions with that rubber-band effect). Apparently there are two GP modules that they needed to replace before they could update the software. Also I had to replace my battery for some reason as they stated it wasn't big enough. The sales tech person did not provide a great explanation and said it had something to do with the amps of the current battery.

First impressions:
-The low end grunt is not as pronounced at lower RPM's which I miss. It's still responsive but my butt dyno feels there is less torque at lower RPMS especially when accelerating from 2,000 RPM.
-I still have the exhaust flap "hiccup" while driving around which doesn't happen too much.
-Engine Noise: I don't hear any difference in sound near idle as everyone else stated; I hear more engine coarseness when I get up in RPM's.
-Mileage: I have noticed the drive MPG readout to be more sensitive to throttle responses. The instantaneous readout shows a lower MPG under hard throttle against what it used to be. I agree that there is ~2 MPG hit (5% of 41) on MPG as I was able to take a few highway drives.

I don't regret getting the fix at all. I would like to get a tune and keep the stock emissions equipment as I miss the lower end torque.

Anyone have any experience with getting a tune like Kerma where you can swap back to the original after their software update??

LostArk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
2011 Golf, 6-speed manual, 41k+ miles
Fix completed 9/7, restitution in hand 9/11. No noticeable difference in fuel economy or performance after about 1/4 tank. Will report back if any issues arise.

LostArk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I'm sure it's coincidence, but I'm having one of the highest mileage tanks I've ever put in the car considering my current commute. On track for a 500 mile tank with mixed city and highway driving. If I had to judge based on one fill-up, the fix actually improved my fuel economy. I can't help but wonder if VW actually re-flashed my car. Who would ever know if they just installed the fix hardware but left the cheat software? That's what it feels like from driving it.

Tankbuster

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
That's good to hear, wondering if it's coincidence but seems like the TDI manuals folks report an increase in MPG after the fix.

Grnfsh

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Got mine back, seem like the same car. I really don't notice much of a difference. They definitely told me any CELs would have to be addressed before they performed the recall. Ended up having to replace a glow plug as well.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Getting my 2010 Golf, manual, done next Wednesday! I also have a CP3 HPFP, so hopefully they won't turn me away. I have 153,000 miles.

Teepke

TDI
'14 JSW & '15 GTI
We just had the fix done on our 14 JSW with just over 20K on the clock. It's the Mrs. daily driver.

While being serviced, she was loaned an Alltrack which, suspension (softness) aside, did not impress in any department. It reinforced that we're doing the right thing getting the fix on this car. We got a steal on it new (bought in summer 2015) and between the goodwill, dealer cash, settlement, and bosche's dough, would be impossible to find a more value laden beloved form of transport.

Anyhoo, we received the car back yesterday and although only a small sample size, her earliest reports of drivability were "it's better" along with "certainly not louder."

Timeline: car at shop on Monday, fix completed on Tuesday, Chase payment notification arrived late Wednesday night, setup account w/Chase and accepted payment (just before midnight) which arrived Thursday morning to my credit union.

-tp

PS: forgot to mention, fix took place over 2 days - party due to the Mrs. getting a call to return to the dealer to sign some proof of rental provided, prior to them being able to start work. said this was to protect VW from an issue where dealers were submitting expenses for loaners in cases when they did not actually do so (for whatever reason). then there was an additional reported delay for some part that was not in stock.

Last edited:

Raydeohed_1

TDI
2014 Jetta Sedan 6MT
My review

I had the emissions mod completed on my 2014 TDI Jetta (6MT) with 39000 miles last week. Process was smooth. I too was loaned a Golf AllTrac and was not impressed at all. I had to sign a slip stating they provided a loaner car. Dropped the car off at 8am and was work was complete by 4pm (same day). I also had a faulty car horn ($200 repair....lame) and the 40k service completed at same time, so likely added a bit of time to repair.

I haven't tracked mileage at all but I feel like I have better acceleration and it sounds a bit throatier than it did previously. Car really drives just about the same, so far no complaints. My restitution money took less than 3 days to arrive in my bank account.

Happy I kept my TDI