Gen II 3.0 speculation(s).

911c4fan

TDI
2014 A6, 2016 A7, 2014A8L, 2014Q5, 2016Q5, 2013 Q7, 2014Q7, 2014Q7, 2013Q7, 2015 Q5, 2016 Q5 Prestige S line
Dieselgate paid for my wedding, grad school, honeymoon, a year's worth of mortgage payments, and some kind of sports car (Alfa 4C or similar) by the time this is all over. Not bad.
Awesome. Sounds like your graduate degree is going to be your second...right behind the graduate program entitled "diesel emissions, CARB, the EPA, and political science...everyone is blowing smoke out their tailpipe..." Congrats to you on having the vision and balls to take the chance when you recognized the opportunity. You should get a vanity plate for the Alfa like "CARB", so you can smile everytime you take it out for a spin.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Dieselgate paid for my wedding, grad school, honeymoon, a year's worth of mortgage payments, and some kind of sports car (Alfa 4C or similar) by the time this is all over. Not bad.
How are your sales of fixed TDIs going?

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
How are your sales of fixed TDIs going?
Most of my Gen II SUVs are still pending fixes - VW's internal fix system is atrocious and doesn't work 90% of the time for the service advisor handling the fix. The few cars that are fixed have sold for more than I paid, which is encouraging.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Most of my Gen II SUVs are still pending fixes - VW's internal fix system is atrocious and doesn't work 90% of the time for the service advisor handling the fix. The few cars that are fixed have sold for more than I paid, which is encouraging.
I sold two Q7s(traded in to dealer) for 5k less than what I paid, am I foolish to do so or should I go the private party route? Selling to private party is too much of a hustle for me, though.

But good to hear your story.

Last edited:

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
I sold two Q7s(traded in to dealer) for 5k less than I paid, am I foolish to do so or should I go the private party route? Selling to private party is too much of a hustle for me, though.
I think you are still OK. You would have made $5k per car (assuming approx 10k from settlement) and saved ~$2000 in taxes per car (assuming you traded Q7s for ~$30k). All in all $7k per car is not bad IMO.
Selling cars privately is too much hassle and besides you got the cash now which you utilized right away rather than waiting to sell for a car for, say, a month or even two.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
I sold two Q7s(traded in to dealer) for 5k less than I paid, am I foolish to do so or should I go the private party route? Selling to private party is too much of a hustle for me, though.

But good to hear your story.
It's all about how much of a hassle you're willing to endure.

For me, I made about $7500 per car in fix + Bosch money (about 25% of the cars I bought had already had the partial payment).

I have to pay back investors, cover shipping and other vehicle overhead costs, and also have to cover dealership costs. So a trade-in at a $5k loss would have meant no profit/slight loss on each car.

Thankfully, the used market is actually still decent (and I suspect will be better for Gen II PC cars than the SUVs), so I have been able to sell at or above my original purchase price, meaning $5-6k avg profit per car. A big factor was the warranty for all 3 buyers I've had.

For example, I bought a Treg at my local Manheim auction (no shipping cost) for $26k, got $9200 in fix + Bosch, sold for $32k. So net revenue was just over $15k and profit was slightly over $10k. That was (and will likely remain) my best performer.

The tougher cars to sell for me will be the higher mileage vehicles. I have 5 Q7s or Cayennes with 95k+ miles. Tough to fully recoup costs on those vehicles.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I am concerned because we have not received our Bosch $ yet. My understanding was that for the 3.0 vehicles that money wasn't sent until the repair was done, but I'm not sure if that is correct or not. I did NOT elect for the partial payment from VW so we got the full half ($4198) a few days after the repair. But we did not get the $750 from Bosch yet. What have other's experienced with the Bosch rebates on the 3.0 vehicles?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I am concerned because we have not received our Bosch $ yet. My understanding was that for the 3.0 vehicles that money wasn't sent until the repair was done, but I'm not sure if that is correct or not. I did NOT elect for the partial payment from VW so we got the full half ($4198) a few days after the repair. But we did not get the $750 from Bosch yet. What have other's experienced with the Bosch rebates on the 3.0 vehicles?
Should get 1/2 prior to fix, other 1/2 half upon repair. Bosch checks have been sporadic at best. I have one Gen II PC 3.0 that I am only scheduled to receive 1/2 restitution, oddly enough I have received two (2) checks for $375...Obviously the thing hasn't been repaired yet.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
Should get 1/2 prior to fix, other 1/2 half upon repair. Bosch checks have been sporadic at best. I have one Gen II PC 3.0 that I am only scheduled to receive 1/2 restitution, oddly enough I have received two (2) checks for $375...Obviously the thing hasn't been repaired yet.
And I got two checks for $750 -my care is a Gen II PC 3.0 too that obviously has not been fixed. No rhyme or reason, but no complaints from me. I'm paid up and just waiting for the last shoe (check) to drop.

Initially, I was inclined to sell my 2014 Q5 TDI after the fix (presuming it is a fix). If my car runs OK after, I will probably keep it. I like it. If I hit the jackpot in the unlikely event of a buyback, I can't turn that down.

911c4fan

TDI
2014 A6, 2016 A7, 2014A8L, 2014Q5, 2016Q5, 2013 Q7, 2014Q7, 2014Q7, 2013Q7, 2015 Q5, 2016 Q5 Prestige S line
Can you believe Bosch makes complicated software and tricked the EPA? I mean they can't even run this stupid settlement program, how tricky can their software be? I had two Q7s fixed and got full checks from Audi in three days. After not receiving anything from Bosch in 10 days I called them and they told me they had no record of me or the car. They were going to research it and call me in the afternoon. Well, no call. So the next day I call again, and they tell I am scheduled to get a return phone call in two days. Two days later, of course no call. They are pathetic. I think the federal government is the only group these clowns are capable of tricking about anything.