www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old May 27th, 2006, 19:32   #1
danix
Veteran Member

Default Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

I am waiting for confirmation of this, but I've heard that Mazda is quietly trying to judge if there is interest in the diesel version of the Mazda5 sold in Europe (which has a 6 speed manual transmission).

The Mazda5 is a microvan based on the Mazda3 chassis, and seats 6.

I will post more as I have it, but if you would buy one, let me know here.
I would take at least one!

Here's a review:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123633092

danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2006, 20:32   #2
owr084
Veteran Member

I'd rather have the diesel version of the MPV - more room than the 5, but not a pig like the oddy or sienna...
Old May 27th, 2006, 20:34   #3
truman
Veteran Member

I have only driven the Mazda 3&6. They are good drivers. I think the minivan looks better in the flesh. It looks like a real nice package and would be an excellant test for the market place. I would be very tempted by a diesel version. The 140hp model would be sweet.
truman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 02:48   #4
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

I would not be interested in a diesel Mazda5. (Because I wouldn't be interested in a Mazda5, or any other vehicle in that class. )

However, a friend of mine has a Mazda3, and it's a HOT car. Put a diesel in, and VW will have trouble keeping me as a customer. BTW, if Mazda would have had a diesel that were biodiesel compatible, I suspect that that friend of mine would have gotten it instead of the 2.3 that she got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:55   #5
VWannabe
Veteran Member

Yes, I would consider one VERY seriously. I will have a family of four shortly and this would be awesome with the diesel (I will take the high output version, please). The sliding doors are also very nice, especially in a small vehicle like this. My wife would probably want it, but I would drive it if I could. Very cool and the Mazda5 has been well received in the states. A diesel version would change a lot of minds about diesels.
VWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:00   #6
cmitchell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owr084
MPV - more room than the 5, but not a pig like the oddy or sienna...
So what makes the Odyssey a "pig"? I've achieved over 27 MPG on the highway with my VCM equipped Odyssey. (It's rated at 28 hwy). That mileage beats the socks off the scrawny MPV. This is probably the reason Mazda is DROPPING the MPV after the 2006 model year. I didn't even consider it after I saw the mileage ratings. Now if Honda chooses to offer us a turbo diesel Odyssey with VCM (variable cylinder management) I'll be first in line. I would like to see the Mazda 5 offered in the US, but Mazda would have a hard sell to me as it is just too small to work as a family vehicle (for me). Plus Mazdas aren't known to achieve the MPGs other makers are able to deliver. I had a Mazda 6 for a rental car last summer in South Dakota. No matter how hard I tried I could only get 21 MPG with that car. The interior was certainly not VW quality either... not even close.

2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed black / black leather
2013 Subaru Outback Limited Cypress Green (Wife's)
1983 Isuzu P'up 4X4 diesel 4 speed
cmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 14:10   #7
BRUSSELS BELGIAN
Old Whig

Fuel Economy: 70.6/ 51/ 38
Default Sign Me Up!

What Mazda needs to do is bring in common rail diesel 3's and 6's to the U.S. Secondly, although Hondas may have fewer "bringbacks" to the dealer, I would never buy a Honda over a Mazda. The Mazda engines are extremely reliable and rugged, and their metal is a lot better than that "Renoylds Wrap" TIN that Honda uses on their cars. HONDA...ON A QUIET NIGHT YOU CAN HEAR IT RUST!
2005 Passat PD TDI
BRUSSELS BELGIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 14:47   #8
Veteran Member

"I would never buy a Honda over a Mazda." You got that right .

A Mazda 3 or 6 diesel I would buy. Honda Accord or Civic, no. I had a "premium" Honda-Acura RSX Type-S. Nice engine and shifter, and that was it. Leather no good, considering how much it cost lacked items its competitors had/have.
8606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 18:58   #9
danix
Veteran Member

Well, the official word from Mazda is no, they are not considering it. But we'll see...
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:18   #10
buckeye96
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Jetta ?
Default Mazda makes commitment to diesels

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/26/m...-over-hybrids/

Quote:
Mazda makes commitment to diesels, weight reduction over hybrids

Not long ago, the premium German manufacturers said they were going to push diesels instead of hopping on the hybrid train, but we see where that's gone: Porsche has hybrids, BMW is pushing its coming hybrids, and Mercedes is oozing its hybrid desires everywhere. Of course, all three brands have diesels, too, but they seem to be hedging their bets that gas-electric is the wave of the future... at least for North America. Now, Mazda has gone on record with CNN, saying that it is dedicated to diesels and weight reduction, and the company plans to have a diesel that can post mild hybrid-like fuel economy numbers by 2011.

The 2.0-liter clean diesel that Mazda has in mind would sip gas like the 660-cc gas engine in a kei car, and be as efficient as a hybrid like those using GM's BAS system or BMW's Efficient Dynamics. The diesel will employ Mazda's single-nanotechnology system, which can allow for fewer precious metals in catalytic converters, and a newly developed particulate filter that alone can do the job of additional treatment systems.

What's special about the plan is that Mazda says its diesel engine will be cheaper, and the weight reduction will "be achieved at lower cost." Mazda's R&D chief said, "We believe that improving today's conventional engines at a low cost is the most effective way to get fuel-efficient cars to proliferate." If Mazda really can sell a lighter, more efficient production car with proven technology, then sign us up.
buckeye96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 05:23   #11
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I doubt Mazda will do much of anything without Ford's approval. After all, pretty much everything they currently sell in North America is mostly Ford, powered by Ford, rebadged Ford, built by Ford, controlled by Ford, etc.
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:25   #12
lbhskier37
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
I doubt Mazda will do much of anything without Ford's approval. After all, pretty much everything they currently sell in North America is mostly Ford, powered by Ford, rebadged Ford, built by Ford, controlled by Ford, etc.
Maybe this is actually a Ford move. It seems like Ford is betting on DI gas engines, but maybe it is hedging that bet by putting diesels in Mazda to test the waters. I would love a Mazda 6 with a diesel.
lbhskier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:03   #13
kcfoxie
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: see fuelly

I bet Ford is behind this given the backlast to not bringin the ECOnetic over.

It would be interesting if the Mazdas sold well, if they did I bet we'd see Focus CRDs available. If so my mom might actually consider another Ford product (setting ourselves up for failure, again?)
Old March 27th, 2009, 16:26   #14
Kiwi_ME
Veteran Member

The actual CNN article is here.
Kiwi_ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 16:47   #15
whitedog
Veteran Member

They could have worded this sentence differently:

"The Hiroshima-based automaker has set a target "

I guess as long as they don't call the car the Enola Gay.

GOOD Deadpool!
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote