Passat 96 tdi B4, intermitant/wont/start

robinhood949

TDI
passat 96 tdi
Help please i recently purchased my passat1.9 tdi estate , that had been stood for some time, after manually turning the engine over it started first time but died straight away it did this every time i tried to start the car. one morning it started and ran fine a couple of hour later the same fault,
Its driving me crazy now some 4 weeks and replacing many parts in my flusteration ,after changing the fuel filter had a nightmare bleeding the system.I replaced the glow plugs, air filter fuel pipes vacumme pipes, checked all the obvious have even changed the cam belt and tensioners( was over due at 111K) i even replaced the temp sensor. so i tried to start again and a bit af coughing she fired up i left it running for 3 hours!. Went back to start it up again the next day and she tries to fire shudders and smoke coming out the exhaust but wont run i have double checked the timming these no air bubbles in the fuel lines please please help sorry about the long thread just want to save peoples time and give an idea thanks everone

robinhood949

TDI
passat 96 tdi
My friend changed my timing belt and he is a mechanic so not sure what its set to , but saying that when he checked the timing before he changed the belt it was one tooth out so he reset it and the car started but wouldnt start a few hours later.
he changed the belt and tensioner as it was over due and now it wont start he didnt have any lock down tool but did line the fuel pump up with a socket that fit just right , i dont know how you lock the cam pulley?? is there a locator ? or do i have to take the rocker cover off, i am going to check today to see. thanks

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Lock the cam pulley ---- I thought my cam pulley came off after I locked the cam.....
Perhaps searching on the "how to's" to find the A3/B4 timing belt changing thread would help.

robinhood949

TDI
passat 96 tdi
Well had a busy afternoon on my car checked the timing everything was ok but after reading through the how to etc i rotated the fuel pump both ways! when i rotated the pump towards the engine it Started first time and every time BUT the problem being it only runs for a couple of seconds and cut out , so after more research , no imobiliser i looked for the shudder valve but my engine seems to be different and cannot locate one ?? i have search but cannot seem to fine what else is wrong please help

Passat TDI 96 117k estate

robinhood949

TDI
passat 96 tdi
hi there my engine code is i think 028 103 3/3 N this is the number on the engine between the glow plugs?
i am still having problems the car starts and runs for 2-3 seconds and cuts out the car does have a sparkright alarm ?? i have check to make sure its not cutting the engine but need to get some wiring diagrams for this , there is no other imobiliser on the car or key chipped device think my car is to old for that
i have even removed the spring and plunger on the fuel cut off valve and disconnected it the car still has the same symptons.
i wondered if the engine was just starting on prime fuel ? and cutting out this does not seem to be the case
i welcome any advise please sorry i havnt replied for a while but i have a disabled wife to look after regards

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
robinhood949 said:
hi there my engine code is i think 028 103 3/3 N this is the number on the engine between the glow plugs?
That sounds like a partial part number. The engine code we commonly refer to is on the timing belt cover.

robinhood949 said:
i havnt replied for a while but i have a disabled wife to look after
Don't worry about the car. Take care of the wife. Post when you can & we'll try to help.

Tony

robinhood949

TDI
passat 96 tdi
An update !!!
how daft do i feel i purchased my tdi some months ago and was a no runner !
The car now starts first time every time runs great , i found if i used the right key the one with the chip inside to disable the imobiliser it worked fine lol
Thank you everyone for the help and advice hope i can help some others thanks again.