Is 56mpg normal on freeway?? ?

Ottrwagen

TDI
Brand new 2015 TDI Golf Sportswagen
Hi y’all! I bought a 2015 new this past May after they were freed from jail/quarantine...the car had 6 miles when I took delivery and Now has 17,500. Needless to say, i consistently get 56 mpg from Palm Springs to LA on the 10 freeway. Is this possible? I generally get my diesel from 76 and or Chevron (my favs) and sometimes it’s quite a bit higher if there’s a slight downhill for a good stretch.
If I’m getting this consistently and the car’s software has been adjusted so it’s California compliant, why would VW need to do anything to the car as happened with the scandal? This mileage on the freeway and the car being relatively “clean” is amazing! Thots? Ottr

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
56mpg is possible with these little cars, however you don’t say if you’re doing a consistent fill and figuring mileage via pen and paper or relying on that misinformed computer on your dashboard. I guess we need a bit more info.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Ottrwagen, The only way to really check the FE is to drive-and-fill, drive-and-fill and do the math. It is possible you are getting that amazing FE on the freeway, but as soon as you get into town driving your FE will usually take a giant hit. My Torque Pro says I get 50 MPG at 75 MPH, and I believe it mostly true as the tune I am currently running used to get 52 MPG at 75 MPH with the old nozzles. Here's the catch: my drive-and-fill calculations leave me at 35 MPG combined as most of my driving is done in town.

Last edited:

ModdedMach

TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI 2dr
I would say for the 2.0 cars all hwy that is a bit optimistic but not impossible. I say that because hwy speed isnt actually the "best" driving for fuel economy due to the big increase in wind resistance at higher speeds, if you were able to keep your speeds in the low 50mph range and drain most of your tank without stopping that would be ideal. A friend of mine has a 2015 sport wagon and drove across the country all hwy and got 48-49.

As others have said, manually calculating fuel consumption by filling the tank to the brim is best. You can also use GPS/mapping to help measure the accuracy of your odometer.

EDIT: if your tire pressure is still at the factory recommended pressure then I would say that 56 is really optimistic.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My recollection is that from Palm Springs to LA you can have a pretty strong tail wind. How's it do in the other direction?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
There are times when I am getting 80 Mpg plus. But I'm going downhill with my foot off the go pedal.

DO NOT believe the MFD readout. As has been mentioned, the only way to know your mileage is by religiously filling to the top and recording distance driven and fuel used over several fill-ups. Then do the math!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
At approx 110 miles between those 2 cities you can't be doing full tanks. Short trips like this can show inflated mileage. Tank averages are more consistent with everyday driving. Use a site such as Fuelly to record and compare your economy. These cars shine on extended trips on the highway. I once drove one of mine for 806 miles all Interstate, and it got in the low 50's. But over time in normal driving city/highway 36-42 mpg was more normal. Tell us what the next three tank averages are calculated by hand. I can get over 200 mpg for 3 miles.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm averaging almost 56 mpg lifetime, so yes. Absolutely possible. I've seen 50 mile legs in the mid 70s with a tailwind in mine.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Ottrwagen's claimed 56 mpg(us) is on the high side of a bell curve, but not impossible. A lot depends on just how fast the car is being driven on the freeway. Trundling along at 55 in the slow lane minding your own business and avoiding brake and accelerator movement? 56 mpg is absolutely plausible. Driving at 70+ mpg? I call BS on the 56 mpg.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I believe one of the contributing factor is that you lose probably more than 850 feet in elevation heading to LA. What's your mileage from LA to Palm Spring?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
First off I can't seem to get the video! So can't see their tips! But

I'll bet you the car was probably not driven at higher than 45 Mph speeds. It was driven as if there was a raw egg between the foot and the pedals, ie no fast starts and no braking if at all possible. Anticipating red traffic lights and not coming to a stop. Also anytime a stop was necessary, these stops and braking manoeuvres were very gradual, probably slowing down only using the brakes at the very last to come to a full stop.

Yes it can be done but not driving normally. If you drive like a raped ape you will never get these results.:eek:

Last edited: