Car Covers - suggestions, any one use one?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I have to leave my car parked at the airport for days at a time. Also my garage is full and hate to park a newer car outside. Can any one suggest some covers, brands, types, materials?

May be you can talk me out of a cover. I know it will be a pain. May be a sportwagen is too much work to put a cover on. I guess interior shades and wax the paint can help save the interior and paint.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I would not use a cover since they tend to cause more damage than they prevent.

A car cover + a little wind + an imperfect fit means it will rub dirt into the finish causing damage.

brenodo

TDI
2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI
I purchased a cover @ http://www.carcoverworld.com/lookup.asp?se=custom_car_covers&pc=noah for my sportwagen and I love it. I park at the airport often and it's performed fantastically so far. I also do not have a garage or car port at home so when I know crazy weather is on it's way I cover up. I purchased the NOAH Block IT fabric and it protects from dust, dirt, debris, grass trimmings, chemical lawn overspray, hail (4 layer design) and other pesky things... I use a lock on it and it's been perfect so far, check it out. the custom fit cover I use has shown zero signs of rub or wear, I'd think if your car is clean and waxed any car cover should be fine but higher quality, softer fabrics are a better bet. Good luck! I love mine.

TDI
'00 GOLF
COVERCRAFT makes low end to high end. Fabric is a must, a cotton terri is best, and BREATHABLE a must. A lot of people want a cover to keep the vehicle dry, unfortunately that traps moisture, which leads to car cancer and faded paint. Joe is right on the money, if the car is dusty at all you will scratch it no matter what. I've scene people wipe their vehicle off with a special system before installing the cover, to avoid this issue...AND HOW....

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Gents that is the info I was looking for.... I realize it is not a
panacea. I plan on getting an expensive one +$200 on up to $415....
I found this company www.carcoversdirect.com

This list has prices for a TDI Sportwagen:
http://www.carcoversdirect.com/prod...cover/custom_fit/volkswagen/2009/jetta/tdi/6/

They have a crazy number of material choices, four layers with soft inside. It
seems like a good outdoor all weather is about $200-$230.

Block-It® 380
Dustop
Technalon® Evolution
Multibond
Noah
Polycotton
Sunbrella
Flannel
WeatherShield® HD
Form-Fit Indoor
Ultra'tect
WeatherShield® HP
ReflecTect

Last edited:

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
I bought a Weathershield cover for my wife's 2004 TT roadster.

http://www.properautocare.com/carcovers.html

The car is garaged, but I wanted an indoor/outdoor cover, in case we had the car outside.

Just bought another cover form my wife's 1966 Austin Mini Moke, too. Had to get it from a web site in the U.K.

http://www.carcoverzone.co.uk/

They have a U.S. distributor, and the cover was shipped from Texas.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Car covers a pain to take off and on.If you have one on in a airport It will draw unwanted attention to your car.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Car covers a pain to take off and on.If you have one on in a airport It will draw unwanted attention to your car.
That is a good point, thought about it, but that is why I have insurance. Attention is OK, but vandalism or theft is another and not good; not sure a thief will be more or less likely to want to bother with it. It is for weather only not security. I read some where VW was not high on the to steal list. The pros get a shopping list and target cars. For some reason a 1995 Honda Civic is #1 most stolen. For the casual joy riding kids I think the risk is lower.

A good topic, how to keep your car from getting stolen. If they are looking for a TDI Sportwagen they are going to take it (or try) cover or not. To avoid attention from a car cover, the color should be ugly, a dull finish, may be beige, light brown or faded green, no bright blue.

It's parked in a semi secure, attended, not for public, parking lot..... Also tucked into rows of cars it is also somewhat hidden; plus there are a few other car covers. I agree they are a pain but feel better knowing it's not sitting out in direct sun, 5 days at a time..... You are probably right, I'll get tired of it and stop using it; that is OK. Putting it on or taking it off in rain, wind and sleet would not be fun.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
A good wax job the car will fine in the sun.How those windshield sun blockers.