Gt2256v on a 1.9 ASZ

Ash03

TDI
Vw Polo 1.9TDI 96kw
Hey guys im currently in the process of fitting a merc gt2256v on my 1.9 ASZ motor. I have a few questions for those who have experience in this setup.

Any idea of whats the max safe boost on this turbo? (Turbo is 100% original, low mileage - no visible wear or shaft play)

I will be using stock "AL" injectors, i have quite a big fmic, exhaust, and a smf kit.

Also, is the lag from this turbo (being a first gen) really that bad..?

Its all i have for now so i have to make use of it, planning for a gtb or something along those lines later on with bigger nozzles..

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

gmo

TDI
modded pd130 asz vw bora .. 04
most folk will tell you that the asz/arl injectors will max out at 230ish bhp and 380ftlbs but ive seen a few with big turbos making well over 250bhp locally , dervtech push a asz fabia to 276bhp with a gtb2260vk on stock nozzles and skillaturbos have pushed 300bhp so depends on tuner (and dyno lol)

the gt 2256 i imagine will be quite laggy, i run a gt1756 by turbo dynamics and it makes decant boost low down from about 1300rpm , ample for pottering about town but dosnt get cooking till about 2300-2500rpm and transient response isnt great , its not bad but id like something a bit more snappy myself . gtd vkr or some kind :)

i reckon if your turbo is set up right and mapper knows what he doing youll get a good 230-240bhp and well over 350ftlbs of .. prob closer to 400! but dont expect fullboost till about 3k or even later, it will pull like train to redline though so not all bad .

Ash03

TDI
Vw Polo 1.9TDI 96kw
Hi bud, thanks for the response. Im situated in South Africa, I have a few good tuners in my area who have made decent power but mostly using gtb turbos these days..
I would be happy if this turbo would give me about 500nm and 190kw (370ftlbs 250hp).

3k rpm for full boost seems a tad high well i guess i cant be choosy lol.. i prefer full boost after 2500rpm though so my clutch remains happy, a downside is im not a fan of over revving motors i really wouldnt want to rev beyond 5k rpm

gmo

TDI
Hi bud, thanks for the response. Im situated in South Africa, I have a few good tuners in my area who have made decent power but mostly using gtb turbos these days..
I would be happy if this turbo would give me about 500nm and 190kw (370ftlbs 250hp).

3k rpm for full boost seems a tad high well i guess i cant be choosy lol.. i prefer full boost after 2500rpm though so my clutch remains happy, a downside is im not a fan of over revving motors i really wouldnt want to rev beyond 5k rpm

i hear you concerns mate but the asz is a pretty tough unit, i have my limiter set and 5.3k , tad high but thats were the mapper put it and it gets revved to that every time im out , maybe you could part ex to old big 1st gen in toward a smaller 1st gen , a 1756 will see 230bhp and 370ftlb with good spool and repsponce

Ash03

TDI
Vw Polo 1.9TDI 96kw
I was suppose to get a merc gtb2056 but that did not work out, at the moment this is all i can use for now.. i guess i could live with some lag (will probably help on the fuel consumption when i decide to cruise lol)

This turbo being of a merc makes the turbine housing flange in an awkward angle which doesnt help when trying to build a manifold (either tubular or log will be kinda difficult).

I decided to try clocking the turbine housing, quite simple to move the vnt ring to a suitable position and drill the turbine housing to accept the guide pin from the chra.. with the biggest worry of reclocking the turbine housing ending up being so simple, it leads to the damn actuator bracket not lining up.

Seems like the merc gt2256v is built really "stupid proof" only allowing stuff to be fitted on 1 way only. Now, i need to either look for an adjustable bracket or chop and weld the existing bracket so that it can bolt onto the housing. (The turbine housing bolt pattern is not symmetrical)

gmo

TDI
its never as easy as it you think mate lol. , be interesting to see how it turbos out, i dont think ive seem a 2256 on 1.9 before

Ash03

TDI
Vw Polo 1.9TDI 96kw
I have seen a few a very long time ago, at that time i wasnt interested in seeing how it fits and works lol.. alot of people used this before gtb existed..

I have done a hyundai bv43 on my car last year, runs pretty good (i did not dyno). 1 of my friends wanted to buy that setup from me, so i got a 2256 for whatever i sold the prev setup for lol

Ash03

TDI
Vw Polo 1.9TDI 96kw
Well overdue update..

I had this setup done and dusted in 2018, forgot about this thread.

On a really stingy dyno, It made 191kw 485nm.

Stock ASZ Injectors. Surprisingly the car is quick against alot of other cars that Iv raced. I'm bored of it now though..

Full boost happens quite late, around 3400rpm or so..

Looking into a hybrid Gtb20 next, hoping to have time to get it done within the next few months

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk