Fog light bulb?

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
I bought these fogs from Ebay per TDI club recommendation:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18061436518...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

I received the glass fog light, but it came with no instructions. What is the highest wattage of bulb that I can run in the stock B4 Passat TDI harness for the fog light unit?

What brand of bulb do you recommend? Please send a link for the ones I would need to purchase online. I have read on here some people using H1 and others H3 for them. Which should I buy for the Chinese fogs?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Sorry I missed your call, the wife and I were attending a Shakespearian play and we had the phone off, we didn't get home until late.

The bulb is an H1, stock 55w. Anything larger will crack the lenses and possibly melt the reflector. I have two sets I can show you, one still on my B4.

I just use generic Sylvania's, but I get them (and all my bulbs) from the local junkyard for free. I came out of there with a plastic shopping bag 1/2 full last time and since they weigh nothing and he prices mainly by weight, I'd be foolish not to stock up. Same thing with fuses and relays.

Last edited:

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Wow ... you buy car parts by weight??

In addition to bulbs, would be a great way to buy trim!

Sorry I missed your call, the wife and I were attending a Shakespearian play and we had the phone off, we didn't get home until late.

The bulb is an H1, stock 55w. Anything larger will crack the lenses and possibly melt the reflector. I have two sets I can show you, one still on my B4.

I just use generic Sylvania's, but I get them (and all my bulbs) from the local junkyard for free. I came out of there with a plastic shopping bag 1/2 full last time and since they weigh nothing and he prices mainly by weight, I'd be foolish not to stock up. Same thing with fuses and relays.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes, he gets crush weight on almost anything, but he runs the yard to crush cars, so sometimes a car will last 6 months, and sometimes it will last 2 weeks, it's hard to tell. He also turns over inventory a lot, so when I see something I need, I have to get it then.

I scored a whole heated leather interior, including wiring harness (which I removed) and door cards for $35. He cannot sell whole cars, but I did strip clean a B4V TDI last year for $500.

It's why I'm there every 2 weeks, since I have to work 12 miles away from it every other weekend.

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta

Thank you very much Mark. I will stop by a local auto store and pick up the bulbs you mentioned. Sorry about the endless array of questions... :eek: