2006 Jetta 1.9 Tdi Won't Start

tailon

TDI
2006 1.9 tdi jetta
hi all

i have a 2006 1.9 tdi jetta , and it just wont start at all .

theres half a tank of fuel in the car , when i turn the ignition to the on position , the glow plug light flashes on briefly (about 1 sec) , when i try and start , it swings over ok , but just won't start at all , checked all the fuses , reset the computer by removing the battery and shorting the terminals out .

what else should i be looking at .

thanks inadvance for the advise

Tails

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
Before you crank it over any more, I would recommend you open the timing belt cover and make sure that the belt has not broken or jumped some cogs.

Then, perhaps change the fuel filter.

Was the car running ok before this? How many miles? When was the timing belt last changed? More information would be helpful.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Since you are outside North America, the model could be different than us here. But if your '06 is a PD engine, then I suggest you check your in-tank lift pump.

Search for a thread by user DanG144, he is the man on these pumps. There is great information in his thread on how to troubleshoot the pump.

tailon

TDI
2006 1.9 tdi jetta
the timing belt was replaced about 30 000 km's ago , the car had been standing for about 3 weeks , then it battled to start , but eventually came to life , then stood for a week . theres 210 000 km's on the clock , about 74564 miles