VAG COM w/OBDII Scanner?

kulwap

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Reflex Silver
The MIL light on my TDI came on in the last couple of days, with no other apparent problems. I checked the FAQ and trouble shooting section of the TDI club and there are a few things I want to check but first I have a couple of questions.

1) I have an OBDII scanner for my diesel suburban can I pull ANY codes off of VAG COM with it? If I get any codes will it be usefull?

2) If there is no way to use my OBDII scanner is there a member in the Spokane, WA area who has a VAG COM reader?

Thanks!

Last edited:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
wolfsburg_de said:
Anything that plugs into and communicates with your Suburban will not work with VAG-COM.
However, if it is a generic ODB-II reader, you will be able to get very generic codes from it. You should also be able to clear the codes.

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
darkscout said:
However, if it is a generic ODB-II reader, you will be able to get very generic codes from it. You should also be able to clear the codes.
That actually depends on which protocols the scanner supports. Some generic OBD-II scanners only support either the VPW or PWM protocols that GM and Ford use:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.10

kulwap

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2003, Reflex Silver
Still need a VAG COM reader

Thanks for the input. I would still like to pull the codes though to try and see what is going on. Like I said though, there are no other apparent problems (no reduced power, no other indicator lights). Is there anything simple I should look at while I am waiting to pull the codes?

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
The inexpensive code readers at VIP work just fine on my 2001 Golf TDI. The package said the reader is compatible with any car that is OBD II compliant from about 1996 and on.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Some auto parts stores will pull the codes for free, in the hopes of selling some parts. Some will clear the codes, I gather most will not.