fog light bulb problem

chenyichung

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
The H11 ion bulbs don't have a gap to lock into the OEM fog light lamps i have for my 2006 VW Jetta TDI.

pic1

pic2

Please look at pic1, boxed in red, the 9006 bulb has a gap so that when inserted into the fog light lamp, you can twist the bulb to lock it into the lap

Also in pic1, circled in yellow, the H11 ion bulb does not have a gap, so I am unable to insert the bulb all the way into the fog light lamp, hence I am unable to twist and lock the bulb into the lamp

Now please look at pic2, circled in red, the 9006 bulb has a pin at the top, there is no slit for the pin to slide into the female plug on my euro-OEM fog light wiring harness.

Also in pic2, circled in yellow, the H11 ion bulb has a pin at the bottom. There is a slit for the pin to slide into the female plug on my euro-OEM fog light wiring harness, however because there is no gap on the H11 bulb, I cannot slide the bulb all the way into the fog light lamp.

What I need is a bulb with the gap like the 9006 bulb, but I need the pin to be on the bottom like on the H11 bulb, does this kind of bulb exist?

so yea, basically my situation right now sucks.

9006 bulbs do lock into OEM fog light lamps, but won't plug into female plugs on wiring harness

H11 bulbs will plug into female plugs on wiring harness, but can't slide in all the way to lock into OEM fog light lamps.

Please help...

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Where were the foglights produced, and for what market? We only use H- series bulbs in Europe.
Never mind the connectios, you gotta have the correct bulb for the particular lamphouse; filament position is critical...

chenyichung

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
yea, the fog light lamp housing will only accept 9006 bulbs:

can someone take a picture of the back of their fog light lamp housing?

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
When in doubt, go to the dealer and order/purchase the correct harness for the correct bulb. Lildevildee and Guttboy purchased their parts for their respective cars from the dealer and did not have a problem. Take a picture of the harness you purchased from the 'tex member so we can further examine your problem. There might be some useful pics on this link.

My question is: What are you trying to achieve?

If your goal is to use an incompatible bulb for an "OEM" application, you will have to modify something. Finding the correct harness isn't difficult, just research what vehicle uses the pictured H11 bulb, then acquire the harness plug and splice accordingly. However, you can't make a square peg fit a round hole (refering to the no-gap issue you previously described). My recommendation for yellow fogs (which is what I presume you are going for) is to acquire yellow adhesive film and affix to the outer lense glass (it'll also protect the glass).

Ya, vee vill unpimp your ride.

Last edited:

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
There's been some confusion about which bulbs are in the MK V's, and I think the answer is BOTH the 9006, and the H11.

I have the H11 in mine, though they are an aftermarket kit.

It's possible you have the "others"....

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
Still can't help. How about you take a pic of the harness you currently have going to the 9006 bulb (female plug)?

Mills_TDI

TDI
Jetta,2001,Ocean Green
Hate to go off and ask this, but if you don't mind could you tell where and how much you bought your fogs for. i wou;dn't mind putting a pair on mine and god only knows why the pkg2 didn't come with them thank you

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
Mills,
Try the dealer using the parts list provided in #4 post above, I guarantee everyting will fit. Just make sure the lower grill with the fog cut out part numbers are correct (one of them is wrong and I don't remember which - ensure the parts counter double checks the part #s).

I think the correct number for the driver's side was: 1K0 853 666 F 9B9
- instead of 1K0 853 665 E 9B9 (which is already on your car on the passenger's side), but like I said, double check.

Chenyichung,
I recommend you purchase the correct female plug harness for the 9006 bulb from VW (also on the parts list link in post #4) and the associated repair wires, since you have already determined the 9006 bulb is the only one that fits the housing. Doing this will ensure your project can be completed. I think it is obvious to that you were sold the incorrect harness for the lower OEM A5 grill mod. As I said before you need the correct part for the correct bulb for the application.

Last question: Do you have to have the yellow bulb or are you okay with the white bulb?

Last edited:

chenyichung

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
i'm sending the H11 ions bulbs back to the seller, and they are sending me 9006 ion bulbs.
how do i go about removing the H11 female plugs that are currently connected to my harness?

after cutting off the H11 female plugs, how do i reattach the wires from the harness into the rear of the 9006 female plugs purchased from dealer?
There seem to be two holes in the back of the female plugs, i'm assuming i just insert the wires into the holes and they'll catch? if not, how do i get the wires to stay inside the 9006 female plugs?

chenyichung

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
the part number for the two-pin plug on the link in post #4 is for H11 plugs

i need part number for 9006 two-pin plugs don't i?

anyone know this part number?

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
If you haven't already read the PDF on the link in post #4, do so. In it the authors explain what you need to do in Step 3.

The repair wires slip and clip right in to the plug housing, then splice the stripped repair wire ends to the stripped ends of the wiring harness you already have. I recommend using solder and shrink wrap, but you can also use butt-connectors (crimped to hold the wires in place) and electical tape (to keep out the elements).

chenyichung

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
i've clicked on the link
it says:
2 x Two-Pin Plug for H11 bulbs - 3D0 941 165 A

But i have already established that H11 bulbs will not lock into my fog lamp housing, so i need 9006 female two-pin plugs.

Does anyone know the p/n for 9006 female plugs?

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
When I posted last, your post #16 was on up yet. I wonder if the light housing is correct for the A5. Don't be afraid of going to the dealer and seeing if they can help, especially since I seem to be one of the only people who'll respond to you regarding this matter. What is the part number of the light housing? For the bulb harness? Do they match those on the parts list in post #4?

Trying to help...

chenyichung

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
the parts on the link in post #4 for are for a MK4 moded wiring kit to work for the MK5.

I'm just trying to do everything OEM

I think you're right, i just have to get the 9006 female plugs, remove the H11 female plugs from my harness, attach the 9006 female plugs, and i should be good to go.

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
chenyichung said:
the parts on the link in post #4 for are for a MK4 moded wiring kit to work for the MK5.

I'm just trying to do everything OEM

I think you're right, i just have to get the 9006 female plugs, remove the H11 female plugs from my harness, attach the 9006 female plugs, and i should be good to go.
But then it's not OEM if you're cutting and splicing a harness and attaching the 9006 female plugs.

If you want stock OEM, then you need to head over to VW and buy the parts for a GLI directly from them :)