www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:10   #1
SnowCub
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 25 mpg
Default Anyone driven a BMW X3 xdrive28d?

I have been researching the X3 diesel for my wife's next car. Over on the Bimmerfest forums there are lots of posts saying the car is "unbearably slow" or "good power around town but runs out of power on the highway". At 180/280 for hp/lb-ft its not a hugely powerful engine. The 4 cylinder MB unit which puts out 200/369 sounds better but is the BMW really slow?
2013 MB GL450, Big Blue, 76k miles, 17 mpg sure sounds nice tho.
...former TDI A4, B4V owner...
SnowCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:19   #2
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: 25.5, combined

For the weight of that car, it does sound like it. But, will she really notice or care? Schedule a long test drive so she can get on the freeway or highway and try it out.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2015, 21:57   #3
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

How is the fit in the X3 compared to a 328? I recently had a 2015 328xi gasser as a loaner car while my 535d had some work done at 40k miles. I found the 328 to be too tight for me and I absolutely could NOT get comfortable at all. Among other things the door pocket was digging into my left leg and the center console was digging into my right leg. I found I fit much better into a Mk4 Golf or Jetta. I ended up parking the 3-series loaner car at home and driving my X5 Xdrive35d to work that day. I was glad to get back into my 5-series later that day.

Speaking of the X3 and X5, have you checked out an X5 Xdrive35d? My 2012 X5 Xdrive35d was a CPO deal with 52k miles on it. The original owner traded it in soon after the original factory warranty expired....basically throwing away a perfectly good car.

You might want to look into an X5 if you find the X3 to be too small. As for power, the X5 Xdrive35d has plenty since it uses the same engine used in the 335d (M57 engine, 265hp/425lb-ft). If a new X5 Xdrive35d is out of your price range, maybe consider a CPO deal like I did.

Good luck.
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; January 4th, 2015 at 22:12.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 05:53   #4
yatzee
Veteran Member

TDI(s): see sig

we have a new body 328xi in the family. The fuel economy is very impressive, for a gasser. Suspension and steering are lovely, but the non-sport pack seats aren't great, and i don't find it very big inside.

I drove a 328d and while the power was impressive, it still wasn't all that quick and suffered from the same issues as the 328xi

The x3 moves fine with the little diesel. I just think that it's way too much money for the car..
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:23   #5
Seppoboy

Fuel Economy: 44.2 mpg measured 55,000 miles to date on the BMW

I have driven X3 2.8ix several times as loaners, just one brief drive in X3 2.8d. The gasser has more than adequate power with just driver aboard, but fuel economy takes a hit compared to 328i, and with a full load I'm not sure it would feel so sprightly. The X3 2.8d was noticeably sluggish compared to my 328xd, could really feel the weight and aero drag, but it wasn't terrible with just two of us aboard and no cargo.

Like yatzee, I'm not impressed with the 328xd seats and seating position. By comparison the X3s had a better seat/pedals/wheel relationship, though the base seats were still rather hard and flat, the seats themselves not superior to the sedan.

My X3 objections are of course the penalty of run-flats, and the value given the high costs to buy and maintain out of warranty. I think the Audi Q5 is a superior vehicle and a better value, which is strange, because I did not not particularly like Q5 when it first came out. Audi has done well refining it and building it, people we know who own them love them and have had no problems.

The M-B GLK diesel is alright, but cramped inside, a little jiggly in the ride motions, and not at all cheap to run. Front seats are okay, but the rear seats are terrible and not much cargo room either.
Seppoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 14:27   #6
SnowCub
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 25 mpg

I did sit in the X3 and was surprised at the amount of head room that I had. I could also sit behind the driver's seat after adjusting it for me, something that I not possible in most cars/SUVs.

The 328xi sedan is a cramped little sardine can by comparison, with my legs pinched from both sides. I could never own one.
2013 MB GL450, Big Blue, 76k miles, 17 mpg sure sounds nice tho.
...former TDI A4, B4V owner...
SnowCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 15:58   #7
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCub View Post
The 328xi sedan is a cramped little sardine can by comparison, with my legs pinched from both sides. I could never own one.
That's 100% EXACTLY what I found when I had the 2015 328xi gasser loaner recently. My choices for a loaner car were the 328xi and an X3. I'll try the X3 next time.

I was glad to get back into my 535d at the end of the day after my 3-series ordeal.
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote