www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old October 22nd, 2013, 17:00   #1
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

Exclamation Aftermarket radio for MK4 Golf. What do I need?

OK so I'm browsing Crutchfield and I find a DVD double DIN unit for $319. It has everything I want (DVD, bluetooth, and Sirius). Also comes with the American International adapter that I need.

The problem I have is Crutchfield says I need a $159 adapter!!! Is this true? This is insane!
Old October 22nd, 2013, 17:30   #2
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Adapter for what exactly? The main connections?

Only thing I've ever come across is the red and yellow often need to be swapped around and you have to make sure nothing connects to the k line. The red and yellow are battery and ignition live, you'll know if they need swapped because the unit wont store any settings.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 22:24   #3
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

As someone who has used two expensive adapters, forget em. They Fail! That wire is only to get the deck to act as OEM where it stays on with the car off until you remove the key. You can use the wire coming from the steering column instead as the turn on lead. I don't remember the color but if you Google it there are a couple posts about it. Brown and white I think? I had to take apart the wire loom on the left side of the column to get to it, but after having 2 $100+ adapters fail in 3 years I KNOW my radio will work now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 04:32   #4
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

Ah ok so I can just cut and splice the harness included into my factory harness? Also I'm looking at the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS and it says I either need:

a) CRUX SWRVW-52 Factory Integration Adapter Connect a new car stereo and retain the factory amp and steering wheel audio controls in select 2002-up Volkswagen models

or

b) PAC C2R-VW2 Factory Integration Adapter Connect a new car stereo in select 2002-up Volkswagen vehicles •Your vehicle has no accessory power lead at the receiver. The integration adapter provides the accessory power you will need for your new receiver.

The nice thing I guess is that the double DIN adaptor, antenna, and radio removal tools are all included free.

Last edited by GTSLOW; October 23rd, 2013 at 04:39.
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 07:43   #5
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

there is 2 wires you need:

ACC: which you can use the 75X terminal in the relay box (driver side footwell), or for stock function, S-contact in the steering column.

ILL: use the gray/blue wire (iirc, it's been a while) in the headlight switch connector.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:03   #6
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
there is 2 wires you need:

ACC: which you can use the 75X terminal in the relay box (driver side footwell), or for stock function, S-contact in the steering column.

ILL: use the gray/blue wire (iirc, it's been a while) in the headlight switch connector.
So I can use the harness that the radio manufacture provides I'll just have to do a little side work? If so this is good news because those harnesses are crazy expensive.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:24   #7
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
So I can use the harness that the radio manufacture provides I'll just have to do a little side work? If so this is good news because those harnesses are crazy expensive.
Do you have a Multi Function Steering wheel? If so, that expensive adapter keeps the functions (volume, radio advance/skip, illumination) in tact.

If you do not have a MFSW, then you can forego the expensive adapter. But that adapter is basically a CAN translator for the aftermarket radio. That's why it's expensive.
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:43   #8
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

04 Golf TDI's didn't have the technology package like the Jetta, so no multfunction steering wheel.

The radio harness, you can get a cheap Metra 71-9003 harness for most of the wiring. Don't hack into the existing harness, then hunt for the other 2 connections.

The parking brake, you have to remove the console to access the parking brake. There are some "hacks" available to avoid it.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:41   #9
tongsli
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongsli View Post
You can get S-Contact at the cluster, Pin 30 of the blue connector
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=11
In the double din connector there is a T8 black connector where you should find the following:

T8/1=speed signal (blue/white)
T8/2=blank
T8/3=Kwire (gray/white)
T8/4=86S, S-contact, ignition switch
T8/5=power (red/white)
T8/6=58d or dash lights (gray/blue)
T8/7=power (red/white)
T8/8=ground (brown wire)
The T8 brown connector is for the speakers.
Metra Harness is cheap. Here are some of the wiring assignments.
RC 3.1,DG pipes,Bosio PP764, Forge SMIC,R32 airbox,FSI/OilLevelSensor,150PDTIP&MAF&Intake Manifold, Bilstein TCs,TT brakes,280mm rears,A3 strut bar,ESP,Folding Mirrors,Aero wipers,Headlight Washers,PDC,Bora Trunk switch,VR6 muffler,4-motion valance, OEM Skid Plate &HIDs,Custom Tails, Zender Spoiler,WE Power,heated Seats,RNS2,MFSW,Anti-dazzle mirror,FIS,IRU,DWA,2nd OBDII,OEM Auto Window,P3 vent gauge, Webasto Thermotop C heater
tongsli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 17:10   #10
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

Negative to the mfsw.
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:07   #11
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
04 Golf TDI's didn't have the technology package like the Jetta, so no multfunction steering wheel.

The radio harness, you can get a cheap Metra 71-9003 harness for most of the wiring. Don't hack into the existing harness, then hunt for the other 2 connections.

The parking brake, you have to remove the console to access the parking brake. There are some "hacks" available to avoid it.
So I'd wire the Metra 9003 to the harness provide with the Pioneer unit and then plug the metra into the factory leads?

This is the adaptor it's telling me to buy:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127C2RV...n-Adapter.html
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:12   #12
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
So I'd wire the Metra 9003 to the harness provide with the Pioneer unit and then plug the metra into the factory leads?

This is the adaptor it's telling me to buy:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127C2RV...n-Adapter.html
you don't need to. The PAC C2R-VW, when you connect to the ACC wire, will not operater like the stock radio. It will having more like when you connect to the 75X terminal, so, it would only work in the accessory position of the ignition.

plus the PAC unit is very bulky. Even if you had a GPS unit, the PAC unit will not get the speed signal from the CAN-BUS system.
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:20   #13
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

Great! Buying the HU now and the Metra 71-9003 harness elsewhere.
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:20   #14
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

On cars up to at least 03 you do not need the PAC C2R Vw, all you need to do is wire the VW harness to the pioneer harness and hook the ACC wire to fuse 10 ( you can go in the back of the fuse box but it is a lot easier to use an add a circuit fuse kit) for the acc hook up wire. IF you have the steering controls on your wheel just get the all in one axxess SWC off ebay they are cheaper then the pac which needs up to 3 units to make it all work and only takes 4 wires to hook it up. This came from VWVortex and is tha way I have been hooking up radios for other people including mine, FUSE 10 lets the radio turn on and off just like the stock radio setup. If you need the video on while you are drive( for people in the back seats) ther are cheap relays already wired that you can use to bypass the E brake fail safe. I wire my from the back but you need small hands the wires are very tight. THe add a fuse is the simple way.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 17:26   #15
GTSLOW
Veteran Member

The metra 71-9003 was not the harness we need. That is the exact harness that plugs into the back of the stock radio. Anyways ran to BB got the right unit and I'm g2g. I had no idea what your guys were talking about with the 75X etc... until I found this fantastic video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsvmh-Sx5Dg

Last edited by GTSLOW; October 28th, 2013 at 19:09.
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote