www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old December 19th, 2007, 00:40   #1
trev0006
Veteran Member

TDI(s): golf
Default Heads-up display GPS with Virtual Cable

Heads-up display GPS with Virtual Cable
Two things plague GPS users: being forced to deal with dubious direction vocalizations and the amount of time spent looking at the screen when you should be paying attention to the road. MVS is developing a solution and it's likely the most revolutionary concept to date.
The system is comprised of a series of mirrors that project a three-dimensional line onto the windshield giving drivers a heads-up display of their intended path of travel. The Virtual Cable shown above the top of the windscreen is usable at night and seems to integrate cleanly into the surrounding environment, allowing users to focus on the road and simply use their peripheral vision to guide them.
some videos of the system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrFnd29p4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL3sbsWOu2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXulLGnNiu0
trev0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 02:37   #2
xs650
Veteran Member

That looks good.

My Corvette has the factory HUD. GPS info is one of the things it can show. It will show the name of the next turn, distance to the next turn in tenths of a miles and an arrow showing the direction.

After using it, other GPS systems without it are really annoying, particularly in heavy and/or fast traffic.
xs650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:33   #3
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

It is really not new. The technology has been around for some time. It is not cheap, but getting cheaper.

While it would be nice, it is not a cure all. The heads up technology does not fix everything and the existing technology is not half bad.

The one I use attaches to the windscreen. I place it where it is not in line of sight, but it is not far out. It is easy to see without loosing contact with the road the way that can happen with in in-dash system. I don't mind the voice instructions as they alert me to upcoming turns etc and I don't need to look at a screen to see what it is it's talking about, so I can keep my eyes totally on the road if traffic is heavy.