Retrofit Full MFA display?

-Espen-

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Passat 1.9tdi Syncro
Hello!

I just bought a 1998 Pasat 1.9tdi Syncro.
It has the small Bordcomputer (under the tacho) My friend has an 1997 audi a4 with the bordcomputer between the tacho and the speedometer.

Is it possible to get this in my car aswell?

The car is an European modell, sold new in Norway.

Thanks Alot.

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
Hi there,
find out the part of your existing cluster, let us know and then we can tell you which fis cluster will work

yes you can retro fit the cluster but it has to be from a Passat

-Espen-

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey, thanks for getting back at me.

I have searched, and read the faq, but i cant find a guide on how to get the cluster out.

I will look more into it tomorrow, its a bit dark out in my garage now.

I have retrofitted Bordkomputers in all my previous cars (most bmw`s )
In the last car (1991 bmw 525) i had to replace much of the cars wiring to get the computer to communicate with the ECU, is this the deal on vw`s to?
Or can i get through it by just replacing the cluster and the stalk?

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
most likely cluster and stalk, do a search, there is a good guide on the forum how to do the swap.

-Espen-

Veteran Member
TDI
I have read the guide, but it is written for a car wich had a fis cluster allready, he just upgraded to the full height sports cluster..

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Actually the thread was a compilation made by Tongsli (Lito) from a much longer thread originally posted by SVTWEB (Eric) who was the first person on this board to do such a swap into a N.American car which did not come with any form of FIS/MFA. Eric sourced a used MFA cluster from Europe, along with the necessary controller stalk and wiring, and did the swap hmself, documenting the progress. If you're trying to simply swap the MFA display into your existing cluster, that could be a bit of a headache, but if your find a used cluster with MFA in it, you can swap the entire unit into your car. Ebay.de (German Ebay) apparently is a good source for these, although they come up for sale every now and then on here. Good luck.

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
Ed's TDI said:
If you're trying to simply swap the MFA display into your existing cluster, that could be a bit of a headache,
It's more than a headache, it's simply impossible. The underlying circuit boards are entirely different.

Ed's TDI said:
but if your find a used cluster with MFA in it, you can swap the entire unit into your car. Ebay.de (German Ebay) apparently is a good source for these, although they come up for sale every now and then on here. Good luck.
Personally, I don't know why you'd want to. The MFA-in-the-clock is very rare and super-cool, in my opnion. Do you also have green instrument lighting?

How do you flip through the MFA functions? With the time-changing control in the cluster itself?

If you did go to a "regular" MFA or FIS cluster, the only other things you'd need would be the stalk and wiring (assuming you don't have a stalk to control your current MFA). Everything else should already be in your car.

--Chris

-Espen-

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for you replies!

I have blue lightning in the whole cluster, I can control the mfa functions on the right hand stalk, at the end of it there is a small "tilting" switch, witch i can tilt upwards or downwards. -Maybe i do not need a new stalk then?

I want to change th whole cluster, not just the display. I know there are some at ebay.de, but I really need some help to get the right part number for the cluster I should look for.

Also, my "mini-mfa" is so small and its a lcd panel with blue backlight, so its pretty hard to read the figures on it..
I would love a full size FIS/MFA with red lightning. (half size would be ok also)
I think my biggest headache would be the programming with Secret key`s and that stuff..

Last edited:

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
Espen,

I have send you a PM.

find out the part no of your existing cluster, use vagcom it will tell you the part no.

I have a few spare half red mfa clusters for sale.

Ray

-Espen-

Veteran Member
TDI
I have replied to your PM.
I have no access to VagCom yet, so i`ll have to take out the cluster to get the right number,