Must Part with 1998 Jetta TDI - SF Bay Area

fmarcoux

Hello all,

I have been a happy owner of a 1998 Jetta TDI. Current mileage is approx. 98.5k Now that we have a baby, we need a second larger car. Unfortunately as I was mentally and financially getting ready to put the TDI for sale, I got rear ended last week. Initally the damage was thought to be minimal $1500, now the body shop gave me an estimate for $4000 since the frame needs to be pulled and the trunk floor buckled in the process. I absolutely do not like dealing with insurance, repairs and body shop and I personally would never put $4000 into a 7-8 year old entry level car. That being said, the car runs great, interior is in good shape, front end is fine, the only problems are the rear end damage and the check engine light, which I just had diagnosed is on due to a bad glow plug relay. Since I never venture out of the warm bay area climate, i decided not to fix the relay. I am hoping the insurance will total the car, but the repair estimate is currently falling just shy of the Allstate threshold.

Question is, would anyone on this board be interested in this car, again rear end (mostly bumper) damage, and check engine light due to faulty glow plug relay. The tailights work fine, doors open, trunk works fine etc... If I cannot sell it, i will simply keep driving the car and pocketing the insurance money. This is perfect for anyone looking for a TDI who can do alittle of this body work. Let me know if any of you are interested.

fmarcoux

98 Jetta - SF Bay Area

The whole insurance nightmare has yet to be taken care of. In the end, I assume this car is worth close to $6000 in ok condition, i have not really done the research to know if that is right or not, and Allstate thinks it is worth more since they are not leaning towards "totalling" it.... so if I end up getting the $4000 equivalent, for the repairs, the difference between what I receive from them and what the
fair value is would be a reasonable starting point. Your thoughts?

At this point, I have an estimate from a preffered body shop of Allstate, I am not sure if they will require me to go see one of their
own estimator and see what they come up with. I am still waiting to hear back from someone higher than a phone rep at allstate.

I just thought I would gauge the interest for purchasing a car with some body damage. Once I know more from the insurance settlement, I will be better able to tell you. At that point, I could certainly take picture of the car and the damage and send on if you want.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
One other option you might consider is to buy an A3 Jetta privately as a parts donor to fix your TDI. I don't think the donor car has to be a TDI and they can be found with bad motors, trannys etc for cheap money. I know that Jetter_Sprinta has one for just that purpose but it probably wouldn't help you out on the left coast.
Just my 2 cents.