www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old July 5th, 2016, 19:29   #1
squirrelhenge

Default Keeping an unfixed TDI in an emissions testing state

Greetings,

I've got a 2010 Golf TDI that I love, and I was pondering the possibility of not taking the buyout and also not having the fix done, if it impacts performance and efficiency as much as is being rumored. (Rumors being such very reliable guides to decision making, don't you know.)

But there's a catch, possibly a big one: I just moved to Massachusetts and now, for the first time, have required emissions testing. I've been trying to sort out what happens if you have an affected TDI that isn't fixed, and you take it in for emissions testing. I haven't found anything on the state DOT website that gives me a clue. Anyone out there have any insights?

Thanks,

Eric
squirrelhenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 19:31   #2
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Have no fear - as long as it passes OBDII scan you're good. It's in the settlement.
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 19:41   #3
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
Have no fear - as long as it passes OBDII scan you're good. It's in the settlement.
Not sure that's true. I'm reading differing opinions on that. Folks in CA are saying that registration renewal will be denied unless the owner can prove that the "fix" has been completed. MA is also a CARB state so we may follow California's lead.

But don't assume what I'm writing is correct, or that the fix is a bad idea, until we know more about both.

Welcome to Massachusetts!
Old July 5th, 2016, 19:46   #4
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Not sure that's true. I'm reading differing opinions on that. Folks in CA are saying that registration renewal will be denied unless the owner can prove that the "fix" has been completed. MA is also a CARB state so we may follow California's lead.

But don't assume what I'm writing is correct, or that the fix is a bad idea, until we know more about both.

Welcome to Massachusetts!

In the settlement - There is money for the states for pollution abatement / etc. If the states take THAT money (and at least 44 of 50 (including California and the other 5 largest states) have said yes so far. Having or not having a fix is NOT a valid reason for denying registration.
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 19:54   #5
dropnosky
Veteran Member

just consider this series of generations of TDI were expertly designed to fool emissions testing without getting caught for 7 years. Im sure it will pass with flying colors as designed
dropnosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 19:57   #6
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd View Post
In the settlement - There is money for the states for pollution abatement / etc. If the states take THAT money (and at least 44 of 50 (including California and the other 5 largest states) have said yes so far. Having or not having a fix is NOT a valid reason for denying registration.
May your dream become reality. But I doubt it will.
Heck, I even had to complete 23O6 to register this year and you think they'll let this slide?
Old July 5th, 2016, 20:39   #7
n1das
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee View Post
May your dream become reality. But I doubt it will.
Heck, I even had to complete 23O6 to register this year and you think they'll let this slide?
They can't hold you to a fix that doesn't exist yet. IMHO, I suspect VW will run the clock out for Gen1 TDIs and a fix will never happen. We'll find out later on around December-January.
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote