Black smoke on acceleration

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Intercooler hose loose or popped off check all the piping especially behind the passenger side front wheel.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Does the car have stock software? Some tunes with certain nozzles will make for a smoky combination.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Injection timing retarded (i.e., fuel being injected late)? The injection timing should be kept up close to the advanced edge of the spec but still within spec.

The timing will retard slightly as the timing belt stretches a little bit over its life. When was the timing belt last changed and who did the work? How was the injection timing verified after the timing belt change? If the "mark and pray" method was used during a timing belt change, it's totally wrong and needs to be fixed because valve timing and injection timing are both retarded. :eek: If that's the case, get the car to one of the TDIclub gurus like oilhammer to straighten it out.

Good luck and Welcome to TDIclub. :cool:

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Along with all these great suggestions, check to see if the snow screen is plugged or hosting rodent nest. Mine was crushed when an idiot backed into my driver side front fender on the Beetle.