Dieselgate, The Canadian Edition

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M Sports Package
When they first announed the buy back I thought that it was said that Canada would be a duplicate of the US?
It was and then VW Canada's language started to change and we all got nervous. I think the language changed because of a court order to keep things confidential. I expect a similar arrangement but maybe not quite the generosity in the US deal - at least I'm doubtful it would be the same amounts using the current currency conversions.

zxcv1000

TDI
2012 Golf Wagen
At first I was thinking they pulled out that money to cover the few states that are suing them. But they do mention the money is for North America, not specifically the U.S. Since it is right around the amount it would cost for a canadian buy back, hopefully we all get good news tomorrow.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
We could always argue about the unknown possible options and call each other shills, trolls and VW agents. :D
But we need to be be nice about it and apologize afterwards.

edit: Sorry to be so cynical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat Comfortline TDI, DSG
Interesting comments on Twitter

https://twitter.com/VWCanadaTDI/status/758401366863777793

Person: What's the update on my TDI Credit Package? What's taking so long? What's the next excuse going to be? Completely ridiculous.

VW: Our Customer CARE team will be calling you in the next 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.

I think they may be talking about the $1,000 credit (which is interesting that they're still handling claims about this).

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
https://twitter.com/VWCanadaTDI/status/758401366863777793

Person: What's the update on my TDI Credit Package? What's taking so long? What's the next excuse going to be? Completely ridiculous.

VW: Our Customer CARE team will be calling you in the next 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.

I think they may be talking about the $1,000 credit (which is interesting that they're still handling claims about this).
Yeah, looks like it's the $1000 credit package that they're talking about.

I still have the few dealer prepaid master cards. Used about $100 at an oil service back in March, but haven't had much reason to use them since. Any idea if they expire at one point?

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Lol oops, thanks for that. Didn't even realize. Damn, these things are only good for a year? Mine show January 2017.
The personal $500 card you can use where ever.
The dealer $500 card, the dealer asked me for my vin number to ensure it matches when using it there. Not sure if that is the procedure everywhere else.

So I wonder, will the dealer card still work after you've sold your car to VW?
I think that it wont...and its why I used it all up. (needed new tires anyways)

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
The personal $500 card you can use where ever.
The dealer $500 card, the dealer asked me for my vin number to ensure it matches when using it there. Not sure if that is the procedure everywhere else.

So I wonder, will the dealer card still work after you've sold your car to VW?
I think that it wont...and its why I used it all up. (needed new tires anyways)
True, I was able to go through the regular cards pretty quickly. I had 2 of each as the wife and I both have TDIs.

Interesting about the dealer card. I do need tires soon, but at the same time we might be selling the car back. Maybe I'll use it for tires or include it with the vehicle (if possible) when selling it privately (if no buyback happens).

Steve Ferrous

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI, 2011 Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI (gone), 2000 Jetta TDI (gone), 1991 Diesel Jetta (gone)
asked me for my vin number to ensure it matches when using it there
I have two cards, and the part department has never asked for VIN verification. I think your dealer is a bit zealous.
I don't remember any condition on the card saying 'as long as you own this car'
Mine expire in January too. I have about $700 left that I was going to spend on tires for my passat (91k on them less snow tire mileage) and they are getting real low. As others have stated, I too don't want to spend that if the car is getting turned in (which I think I will do, and buy a GSW). If you see a dark blue Passat sliding around in the rain, that's moi.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
True, I was able to go through the regular cards pretty quickly. I had 2 of each as the wife and I both have TDIs.
Interesting about the dealer card. I do need tires soon, but at the same time we might be selling the car back. Maybe I'll use it for tires or include it with the vehicle (if possible) when selling it privately (if no buyback happens).
Do what Im doing. Get the new tires (because you need what you need) but keep the old ones. When it comes time to sell your car, put your oldies on....get rid of the car and the one's in better shape (which should be still somewhat in good condition) sell on kijiji. This way, at least you'll get some $$ back.
I was considering buying used tires but...tires are important, didnt want to take the risk for aprox. $300 less.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
I think your dealer is a bit zealous.
Could be....but it would be interesting to hear form others if they experienced the same. And if they did....worth looking into it for those who are thinking of selling their TDI.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Could be....but it would be interesting to hear form others if they experienced the same. And if they did....worth looking into it for those who are thinking of selling their TDI.
Dealer checked my vehicle when I went in for the cards: wrote down mileage as well and checked my ownership.

I used my $500 anywhere card for tires as well...for my motorcycle :).

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Dealer checked my vehicle when I went in for the cards: wrote down mileage as well and checked my ownership.

I used my $500 anywhere card for tires as well...for my motorcycle :).
Yes they checked it when you "register" or "activate" them.
But my dealership also asked me for my vin number when I was purchasing something. Maybe to prevent fraud or me using someone else's card...no clue but they asked.

You can use the dealership card to buy anything for any vehicle whatever the dealership sells...doesnt have to be your TDI. But I wonder if you can still do that when you no longer own that said TDI.

Bahamut

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes they checked it when you "register" or "activate" them.
But my dealership also asked me for my vin number when I was purchasing something.
Oh wow, that does sound a bit hard-core: the dealership never so much as checked that I still had the vehicle when I used the credit cards.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
My dealer didn't say 'boo' or ask for VIN when using a partial amount off my card. If I spend the full $500 there, they give me another $50 credit to spend.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Technically, it's just a prepaid master card that will get rejected if not used at a VW dealer. The one time I used it for an oil service they didn't even realize I was using that card.

joey003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
Do what Im doing. Get the new tires (because you need what you need) but keep the old ones. When it comes time to sell your car, put your oldies on....get rid of the car and the one's in better shape (which should be still somewhat in good condition) sell on kijiji. This way, at least you'll get some $$ back.
I was considering buying used tires but...tires are important, didnt want to take the risk for aprox. $300 less.
That's a decent idea. Better than letting it go to waste.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
Exactly what I did and no thanks....you don't need to even balance the old ones when they go back on! I wonder about throwing them on some steelies and some shiny Walmart hubcaps!

Last edited: