cruise control not working

smokemac

TDI
2001 jetta & 2006 jetta
I have a 2001 Jetta tdi and it has the cruise control selector on the windshield wiper arm but it never works. It looks the same as my 2004 Golf tdi setup which works fine. Does any body know if it is suppose to work and what has to be done to get it working.
Thanks

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Do you have a vag-com? You can check to see what, exactly, is not working with it. Brake switch, clutch switch, or the cruse switch itself. If it's got the switch, it's suppose to work.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The cruise control unit can fail and not throw a CEL. They are about $80 from the VW dealer. Did one yesterday.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
The units don't throw cels that I know of. However, with the vag-com you can test to see if it's doing it's job - it will report if it recognized the brake switch (by you steping on it) the clutch switch (ditto) and the various functions of the cruise switch. Using Vag, you should be able to find the problem before starting to throw parts at it.

PDeezul

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI ,GLS, Reflex Silver/Anthracite Leather
You may want to check that brake light switch as Grady alluded to. I know of an instance that an individual with a NB had similar problems and it turned out it was linked to that switch. There apparently is a silent recall out for the switch. Check with your dealer and do some research here.