3" muffler options

c0ncEpT

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
I have a MK4 Jetta with a 3" Buzzken exhaust.

I have 2 resonators (after downpipe & behind axle) and the drone on the highway is terrible.

I've tried to contact Buzzken himself with no luck.

What are my options for a full size 3" muffler behind the axle? I was under the car and it doesn't look like there much room because of the spare tire bump.

I'm trying to avoid taking it to an exhaust shop as I can tig weld and have a hoist.

Thanks in advance for the help!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
dynomax makes a few that are actually 3" all the way through and are the good 'turbo corvair' style of muffler that actually works. Got a 17769 on my LTD that quiets it right down.

pretty sure a 17698 would fit in the stock muffler location, be advised that these respond very well to a turn down after the muffler, just have the outlet on top and put a 60 degree or so elbow off of it pointing down and back.

Most every other 3" muffler I found just necks right down to 2.5" inside the case.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
You might take a look at the Aero-Turbine mufflers as well.
https://aeroexhaust.com/i-30497605-...3-inside-diameter-necks-aggressive-sound.html

I don't have personal experience with them, but my father has installed a couple on fleet vehicles that he supports, and other than one operator complaining because he didn't like the increased volume (compared to the OEM muffler that had been damaged by running over large debris), they seemed to sound good as well as adding a perceived increase in power.

c0ncEpT

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was looking at Magnaflow as well but I just don't know what will fit behind the axle.

The drone is just so bad on the freeway with the 3" and resonators. When pulling trailers its almost unbearable!

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
I have a Magnaflow in mine.. fits in there just great. no drone I would actually sell it to you if you want it. But its a 2.5". Im looking to install something else a with a little less sound cancelling... Ive heard if you extend the exhaust past the bumper the drone will decrease. Not speaking from experience just something you could try. Mine is past bumper maybe 2" and I have little to no drone. FWIW

c0ncEpT

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
I have a Magnaflow in mine.. fits in there just great. no drone I would actually sell it to you if you want it. But its a 2.5". Im looking to install something else a with a little less sound cancelling... Ive heard if you extend the exhaust past the bumper the drone will decrease. Not speaking from experience just something you could try. Mine is past bumper maybe 2" and I have little to no drone. FWIW
Do you happen to know what the part number is?

Mine already has a tip going out of the bumper. I honestly think the problem is that 3" is just way to large for this engine. If I could find someone local to buy the entire system I would just order a new 2.5" system with a muffler.

Last edited:

c0ncEpT

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
Just to update.

I found one that I'm going to try.

IDparts lists a Magnaflow PN:14216 as fitting a MK4 in the stock location. Problem is its 2.5"

I searched summit for that part number. Got all the dimensions and cross referenced a 3" ID/OD with the same dimensions.

Magnaflow PN:12219

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
center/center is probably a straight through in that small of a case size

longer ones will sometimes have a normal muffler out front then a chamber in the back to bring it back to the center outlet

My tdi is actually dumped right out the LF fender, no drone even before I added a resonator. Maybe you need a bigger or another turbo?

Slap something on there atop the VNT one, something like an hx35 should work to reduce the drone.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
dynomax makes a few that are actually 3" all the way through and are the good 'turbo corvair' style of muffler that actually works.
You took the words out of my mouth.
Most people I mention Corvair to don't know what it is.
I had one of the engines with 4 carbs. Was going to try to put it in my 71 VW van.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I honestly think the problem is that 3" is just way to large for this engine. If I could find someone local to buy the entire system I would just order a new 2.5" system with a muffler.

The problem is not 3” , it’s the placement of the exhaust tip that’s giving you the droning. Purchasing 2.5” will drone as well.
As was suggested in earlier post run the the tip past bumper,
or turn the tip sideways to avoid sound from reflecting of pavement or whatever your surface happens to be .

Bajan

c0ncEpT

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta
The problem is not 3” , it’s the placement of the exhaust tip that’s giving you the droning. Purchasing 2.5” will drone as well.
As was suggested in earlier post run the the tip past bumper,
or turn the tip sideways to avoid sound from reflecting of pavement or whatever your surface happens to be .

Bajan
The tip already comes out through the valance and past the bumper. It states that in the 2nd sentence of my post you quoted. Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:

c0ncEpT

TDI
2003 ALH Jetta

Magnaflow PN:12219 fit perfectly and fixed the problem. No drone at all. (sorry for the large image)

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I have 3" turbo back straight pipe with no drone. It did however drone horribly with the tip pointed down. I have it angled to the side and it's really pretty quiet.

I do now have a full GLI body kit to install (front and rear aftermarket, sides OEM) and I'll change the tip so the droning may return.

Keep us posted how you make out.