K&N Air filter and the 1.9L TDI engine

VaderTDI

TDI
Jettawagon, 2005, Black
Hey has anyone here installed a K&N air filter on their 1.9L TDI(2004 & 2005)engine and has anyone had good or bad effects as a result? I checked out the FAQ just to mention.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
If you do a searchon "K&N" you'll find many posts about this debatable topic. As far as most people are concerned, it's a waste of money as there is no noticeable improvement in performance, and there have been instances of MAF sensors being fouled by the oil from an improperly oiled K&N filter.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Dissenting opinion:

I put a K&N filter in my Passat TDI with about 120,000 km on it. The car now has about 428,000 km on it. Nothing has worn out. Not the engine, not the MAF, not the turbo.

Having said that, I wouldn't bother with it again. No performance gain.

Puebla

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 TDI GT25, PP520'S, FMIC, STAGE 5 SOFTWARE
K&N filters are great, just don't overoil them. The overoiling is what kills the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
If you don't oil it enough you are allowing fine dirt to enter the engine. If you oil it enough that fine dirt is trapped by the filter then you will foul the MAF with oil. As a matter of fact, a properly oiled K&N will coat the MAF with a fine mist of oil anyway and still allow fine dirt to enter the intake until it clogs enough to block these, which takes a few hundred miles or more.

I used to run a K&N and now run a OEM paper filter in my car. I can't feel a difference in power otherwise but I don't have to worry about sandblasting the inside of my engine with dust anymore. My car still has the original MAF in it and I have cleaned the oil that was stuck to the platinum elements and it seemed to make the car snappier.

Ynot

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K GLS, Black
I've tried it. It's "Bling" for a TDI. I would spend the money on a OMI to open up the intake.

Ynot

VaderTDI

TDI
Jettawagon, 2005, Black
Ynot what is an OMI? I assume it is an acronym for something, but what? Oh please please someone tell me!!!!!AAAAAGHH The suspense is to much!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

I ran a pre-oiled cotton gauze filter for about 5,000-miles. It sounded cool; but I removed it because my application required me to use a "gasket" to adapt the three inch filter to my 2.75" MAF. I figured this surely had to create a "speed bump" in front of MAF and, therefore, turbulence.

Later, I removed the turbo to add some upgrades. I had removed the compressor housing a found this:

These scratches are TINY. So, I'm not sure if this is from stuff that got past the cone or if they're from micron-sized particles that can get past ANY filter. I run paper for now and think I'll stick with it. I'm going to do some light testing to see how restrictive the stock airbox is. This turbo moves a lot of air.

Take Care,

Scott

Ynot

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K GLS, Black
Your in luck, my OMI is out cleaned and ready to go get a thermal ceramic coating in preperation for my Stg III install.

Old man intake is a product of I believe two fourm memebers, Oldman and blubyu. Oldman put together a prototype of this intake and blubyu now manufactures it. Not to slight anyone, I do not know the details of their arrangement or it others were involved.

As you can see by the photos it is a vast improvement over stock. It has been attested to by many to help cut down on smoke due to improved breathing to the turbo. I can not tell you if any one has dynoed with or with out it to SEE if there was a visiable performance improvement, but for the price of just over $100 dollars I feel it was money well spent. Search for blubyu on this site and e-mail him if you want one, unless this has changed since I ordered mine.

Now I know someone will comment on the tooling used to bend the intake. It has been discussed over and over. Due to production cost, the manufacture of the OMI opted to make it this way. Purest would have done it different I know and for them economy of mfg and profit may not be an issue.

This is the OMI.

Ynot

Ynot

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K GLS, Black
TDIRyan,

No I do not, one of those things that I did not think of at the time. There were a few posts already showing it installed at the time I bought mine. Maybe if you do a search, you can find one of those. It does not look a whole lot different than stock until you get up close. Especially with the black color.

Ynot