Can Computer Be Swapped Out?

iistommy

Have 2 identical Jetta TDIs. One has chip reprogrammed. Was wondering if I could just swap the computer boxes out. Dealer says car won't crank. Anybody tried this?

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Well.... if they are identical then you should be able to swap them.

If your cars have an immobilzer then you will have to deal with those before
you can get them going though. This requires you have a VAG tool to
convince the immob to be happy in its new home. You will need the
codes from the dealer to enter into the software...

But, Yes, it is do-able.

Drive ON!

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I remember seeing a procedure in the Bently CD for doing this as a trouble-shooting thing. It required the immobilizer code but you didn't reprogram it. You could then start the car with the different ECU and test.

But for a permanent swap you need to deal with the immobilizer as above.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
it certainly can be done. Many of us do it that have multiple ECus /images/graemlins/grin.gif Everytime I swap my ECu, I have to re-introduce (realign) the system to the instrument cluster, clear the fault codes and then re-start the car.

There are some top secret codes you need the dealer to generate. The jsrmonster is the guy to contact...he probably can help.

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
I know for a fact that the 2000 and 2001's are swappable.

When I got my car chipped a couple years ago, I was the last in line of about a dozen cars getting chipped. The way it worked was that the Upsolute guy would go down the line of TDI's, pulling the ECU's, then redo the chips, and then go down the line again putting the ECU's back in, one car after the other. Like an assembly line.

There was a mix up, and when they got to my car (the last in line), the only ECU left was for a 2000. My car is a 2001...

To make a long story short, I didn't put up a fuss, because my car had the highest miles of the bunch, and I figured I got a newer ECU than the one I had originally, even if it is from the previous year.

I've put on about 100k miles since then, and haven't had any trouble, other than my wife yelling at me to slow down... /images/graemlins/grin.gif