It just dies when warm

Hank

TDI
05 Passant
I have a stock 2005 passat 2.0 TDI. On the way back from a trip it just died. After it sat a while waiting on a tow it would start but only stayed running if the engine was revved to about 15.

Since then it will crank while cold, but once it warms up, it dies and will not restart until it cools off.
I have replaced the fuel filter and put fuel cleaner in it. While its cold I can drive it, run the A/C, anything and it's normal.

Anyone have a suggestion?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
A proper scan for DTC's (digital trouble codes). The check engine light may not always turn on, but you can still have a hidden code.

Hank

TDI
05 Passant
Could the air be clogged off or the in tank fuel pump be dead?
I turned on the ignition with the fuel line disconnected on the fuel filter and it seemed to have a lot of pressure.
I'm not sure how the air could be clogged off since it runs fine for 10-15 minutes.

Hank

TDI
05 Passant
A proper scan for DTC's (digital trouble codes). The check engine light may not always turn on, but you can still have a hidden code.
Any recommendations on a scanner? One that works and will not break the bank?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The Torque Pro app for a cell phone works pretty well and gives code numbers that are easy to cross reference. The blue tooth adapter is cheap too; both pieces are less than $15.00 USD.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Any recommendations on a scanner? One that works and will not break the bank?
VCDS Lite will do most of what you need.
Free. :D

You will also need a ODB cable to communicate with it.

I have only been able to get it to work with the serial port (9 pin female) on my old laptop.

USB to serial did not work.

The inexpensive blue tooth OBD adapter I have is seen in my laptop but becomes com 7 and 8 which VCDS does not detect. (still work in progress)

Hank

TDI
05 Passant
The Torque Pro app for a cell phone works pretty well and gives code numbers that are easy to cross reference. The blue tooth adapter is cheap too; both pieces are less than $15.00 USD.
what blue tooth adapter?

kevintoups

TDI
Exact same issues on my 2006 TDI.

Starts cold, runs cold, gets warm and instantly shuts off.

20 min wait and it starts.

Ive seen people address the lift pump, random relay 140 and other fixes. What is the true issue here??

This is a needed car.