MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
WiszMaster, impressive I have not had a combined (total tank) mileage number over 750 so far into a tank. I show 710 total right now with 430 in the book. I do have about the same average right now 60,5 (ish). Given I have been reading high 57s I suspect that will translate to ~55-56 for the tank.

Barring unforeseen traffic or racing.

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
I'm not even in the ballpark of a lot of these posts.
I'm a long time diesel/mileage enthusiast and I am familiar with the best driving habits to achieve optimum mpg etc.
I'm lucky to get about 400-450 miles on a tank and when i fill up and I can only get about 10-10.5 gallons per fillup. ( I fill up about 30-50 miles after the red light comes on) I have been driving about 60-40 hwy to city. I have been driving fairly conservative last tank or two. I think average since history of car is 41.3. Little all highway trips of about an hour get me about 49. I'm happy with that but I want a little bit better mpgs. I have a feeling the first oil change will make a difference? I also would like to find a way to get some more fuel in per fillup or at least feel comfortable knowing the actual range as opposed to what the computer says when the fuel warning comes on.

evoxd

TDI
soon
So what is the average mph you all are going when you get this great of gas milage? I normally set my cruise control at 75 mph for the 40 mile commute to work and 40 back home. Let me know what you guys think I will be able to get...

Can't wait to get a TDI! Waiting to order until I can drive one, dealers around here cannot keep them in stock!

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I did a standard section of road from the South side of Columbus, OH (Groveport) to my house which is south down I-71.
71 miles @ 54 mph
1:19h @ 58.5 mpg indicated.
61F outside temp.
Night time with Bi-Xenon's on. Couple of construction areas caused me to come almost to a complete stop twice.
Car has less than 300 miles. Idled a couple of minutes after filling up to enter data into Fuelly and reset the meters.

Cruise control set on 60mph.

Did the same test in my BRZ and got an indicated 41 mpg which is more like 39-40 on PUG.

Happy so far!

Chris

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Hi All,

I too am seeing the car's computer read a pretty consistent ~4 mpg higher than my calculated numbers (tracked by Fuelly).

I will be interested to see if these numbers converge as the engine breaks in. I don't know much about how exactly the computer calculates consumption, but it seems conceivable that the injected fuel volume measurement could be based on assumptions that are valid for a broken-in engine at steady state.

It would also be interesting to verify the computer's speed calculation with a gps or otherwise, as this could also influence the mpg calculation.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
anyone care to share what this fuelly thing is all about?

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Here is the link to my car on Fuelly. It basically just gives you a way to track your mileage. Each time you fill up, you enter your odometer reading (total, not trip) and the volume of fuel you put in, as well as price. It then looks at the distance since your last fuel up, and does the division for you.

So it's nothing revolutionary in the calculation, but the cool thing is that it allows you to view other people's information. So, I can check out everyone else with a '15 Golf TDI and compare my mileage, or any other cars for that matter.

Of course they have an app, and forums and other content, but the basic principle is crowdsourcing MPG information.

It allows you to indicate your city/highway percentages as well, which I try to keep accurate. I also include a note with each of my fill-ups, which says what the car's computer calculated MPG was for that tank.

j0105

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S Manual
Finally had a chance to set the cruise on the highway for a bit to see what kind of mileage I could get. Filled up the tank, got on the road and set the cruise at 60mph. After the 56 miles from the fuel station to my office my computer reads 65.0 mpg on the 'since refuel' screen.

Even if the on-board number is inflated, I'm still ecstatic. I'll be taking a longer trip in a couple weeks and will be able to compare the two better then.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
anyone regularly drive on hilly highways with the cruise set at 78? that's my normal thing - wondering what I can expect.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
j0105, you're absolutely right to be ecstatic. I've seen 56.8 on the computer for a single trip, and am averaging mid forties in pretty mixed driving. Whether it's 43 or 47, I can't complain too much.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Korab, 78 is pretty quick, so I think you're likely to see less than some of the lofty numbers posted on here, what with air drag increasing as the square of speed. I'm usually sitting around 70, but I try to "use" the hills as much as possible. If you do make the leap for a TDI, i'd be interested to hear what numbers your normal thing produces.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Korab, 78 is pretty quick, so I think you're likely to see less than some of the lofty numbers posted on here, what with air drag increasing as the square of speed. I'm usually sitting around 70, but I try to "use" the hills as much as possible. If you do make the leap for a TDI, i'd be interested to hear what numbers your normal thing produces.
Already made the leap, just waiting for it to get built and delivered. I don't expect to see mid 50's, but mid 40's would have me ecstatic.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Already made the leap, just waiting for it to get built and delivered. I don't expect to see mid 50's, but mid 40's would have me ecstatic.
Congrats! Mid 40's should be attainable especially if you're heavy highway with not too much traffic.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats! Mid 40's should be attainable especially if you're heavy highway with not too much traffic.
Thanks, that's exactly what it is. Long stretches of rural highways with the cruise set and very little traffic.

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
1st tank through my 2015 Golf TDI S, mpg = 45.9. About 20% city/80% highway, with the "highway" portion consisting of my 120 daily round trip commute. My commute is about 40% on a 2-lane state route that is very hilly, and 60% on the interstate with traffic usually moving along at least 60 mph.

My driving style this first tank was spirited, definitely not max mpg focused.

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
Forgot to mention...my multi-function display indicated 50.6 mpg for this first tank...so at least with this first tank, my MFD was biased high ~10%.

I also calibrated my odometer, it seems to be accurate to within +/- 1%

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
As a follow up to this weekend trip.
After getting to the hotel, we drove city for about 70 miles, very bad Tstorms, lots of water on the road, heavy rain, some highway and mostly stop and go traffic around the Disney area in Orlando.

On the way home, we drove spirited, also about 30% of the drive was with heavy storm.
at the current rate, I probably won't hit 600 miles on this tank, but should end up north of 500 for sure, most likely around 550-575 is my guess.

Last edited:

2015TDI

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
first tank, I averaged 39.6 MPG with 60% city, 40% hwy driving. The computer was showing 42.2 since refuel. The average speed is 28 mph.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
607 miles before fuel light. It went on 2 tenth after this pic reading 70 on the to-go meter. Not this time but someone will make a 700 mile tank soon

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I just noticed that they changed the water temperature gauge to read "200" at the normal position, rather than the previous 190 even though it ran 200 anyway.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys need to get over to www.fuelly.com and represent with these great MPG figures.

Already am. There are 47 15's on Fuelly as of today. About one a day since mid August.

I am surprised but I still have the best mileage listed. There are a bunch of cars close though.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
This guy seems a little confused... A TDI Manual SEL Gas that gets 49 MPGs

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
607 miles before fuel light. It went on 2 tenth after this pic reading 70 on the to-go meter. Not this time but someone will make a 700 mile tank soon

That's pretty good!
Most of my driving is in town, some on highway ... IT Service, between customer sites all the time... I'm not expecting my average to be as high as many others, but I love the occasional highway trip that I can CC and relax, watch the FE rise.

I'd love to fill up, and CC @ 65mph till empty - I'd guess I'd end up just north of Atlanta, GA.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
This guy seems a little confused... A TDI Manual SEL Gas that gets 49 MPGs

That's me! Thanks for letting me know. Didn't realize I had to choose an engine when I selected the TDI. I guess I expected Fuelly to be smarter than that. I just corrected it.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought the car assuming I would do better than my Passat but over 50? damn! I drive over 20k a year so the extra MPGs add up

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
BadWolf---can you verify the same commute as with your Passat, I believe you said that before but can not recall completely. If so, even going from DSG to standard, that is a very impressive 20% increase.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Same exact commute. 25 miles mostly country roads about 6 miles of highway. I am above average in the Passats but only just above average so very surprised I am doing so much better in he golf. The one difference is the Passat is the DSG

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
That's me! Thanks for letting me know. Didn't realize I had to choose an engine when I selected the TDI. I guess I expected Fuelly to be smarter than that. I just corrected it.

Awesome.