Dealer says that GL4 wrong oil for the Transaxel

in_shelby

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, black
My wife took my 2002 Jetta GLS TDI in for 40,000 mile service today and told the shop that they should not change the oil, oil filter, air filter (RamFX foam insert) and not to check the transaxle fluid level since I just changed it (Redline MT-90). He voiced his concern to her that transaxle fluid was a lifetime lubricant (LOL) and changing it with GL-4 was the wrong stuff. I have read that the GL-4 is the only thing that should be used (this site). Since the dealers’ idea of the correct motor oil is 10w30 Valvoline Durablend (semi-synthetic) I am taking the concern for what it is worth (not much). So, just checking if there has been a change for the 2002 model and where I can find the information that this is the correct transaxle fluid, incase I need to defend my position?

BTW, since I have change to the MT-90 the shifting has become extremely smooth even with the Dieselgeek race shifter (which I love) and have gain about a mile per gal on the last several tanks of diesel.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
You're fine. The auto tranny fluid is a "lifetime fill"... the guy may have mistakenly thought that you had an automatic instead of a manual.

Yet another case of this site having more knowledge than the service rep.

in_shelby

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, black
Thanks guys! I knew I was alright. Talked to service about the squeak in the front subspension and they didn't mention it. I think DavinATL hit right on the head. A curly haired bonde can't be driving a 5-speed.
Thanks again.