GL5 or GL4?

heaveninbc

TDI
1998 VW BEETLE TDI
What is the difference between the two?Is GL5 ok to use in the tranny of a 98 beetle instead of GL4?I have done much research on this and cannot seem to get a straight answer.Any help is much appreciated for this noob.Thanks-Daniel:eek:

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Depends on the GL5--Lubromoly is GL5, made in Germany, won't harm your syncros and meets VW specs. As far as I know it's the ONLY GL5 you can use in a VW...

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
GL4 is mandatory in transmissions that use "yellow metals" aka syncronizers.

GL5 is NOT compatible with VW transmissions due to VW using these "Yellow Metals".

Best advice (same as I give the people that see me) is to stick with the OEM fluid...

DB

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Use whatever you want, but I really don't want to get in an argument again over this stuff. Suffice it to say the guy that built some of the tranny's used today by VW said to get the Redline out of my car--he's never seen as many metal shavings as he has seen from Redline. He didn't think too kindly of Amsoil either. I was told to stick with VW OEM, or "if you want something really good go with the Lubromoly--meets the specs, won't harm your syncros, and will treat you very very well."
I haven't carried Redline since then. But it's GL4, so apparently it's fine because of that :-/

Regardless, Redline can be had here.

Lubromoly is here.

YMMV,
-BB

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
If you want to pay a fortune for VW stuff.....

I like redline products. Never an issue with them.

VFchicago88

Banned
plenty of UOA's for motor oil, I think we need to do some UOAs on trans fluid! Next change I will send it in to blackstone. (redline MT90)

Some GL5's carry a "MT-1" approval for manual trannies, and a bottle of supertech GL5 i saw, said "safe for use in tranmissions with yellow metal synchros" or something to that effect. Its still a hotly debated topic on BITOG, some users claiming sticky syncros after 40-50k use of GL5.

Best fluid I have tried was G52-171-A2, the synth stuff. Sadly it had to be drained, and it was 30 bux a liter! Stuff made shifting like butter.